Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've got my AC with them tomorrow so I'm really praying it goes well -- I didn't know their VS numbers were fluid though that's reassuring
Reality is most firms will be fluid with numbers - its not a disaster if they under recruit, but they will be able to increase slightly for the right candidates, assuming they need to.

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
was the first set of AC invites for people who had previously done something with Freshfields? i didn't do the first year scheme but i did attend the non-law workshop in december
couldn't tell you definitively because I got mine in April last year -- but based on what I've seen Latham do, for example, that might be the case

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
I think market is throwing people - it could easily be sector or industry. They just means what have you done to learn about the topic/career/industry more generally.
I am also attempting to answer this question (v last min again from me!). As my sources, I have already discussed my vac scheme experience and my experience attending open days as part of an insight programme. Would it be weak answer to say that I've done some research online? I don't know if it would sound less impressive compared to what I've written for the other two paragraphs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am also attempting to answer this question (v last min again from me!). As my sources, I have already discussed my vac scheme experience and my experience attending open days as part of an insight programme. Would it be weak answer to say that I've done some research online? I don't know if it would sound less impressive compared to what I've written for the other two paragraphs.
As long as you can be specific with the resources online, this will be fine.

• 🤝
Reactions: sibs23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
how would you answer describe a time when you held a minority view?
This doesn’t have to be anything big or controversial.

I think its important that your opinion had some kind of contribution or impact even if you didn’t manage to transform everyone to your view point.

How I would approach it:

- Explain the situation of why you held the opinion and a short summary on who held the different views than yours.
- Explain why it was important you held that view.
- Explain how holding that view had impact.
- Explain what you learnt from the situation.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

shortypie90

Dec 9, 2021
I realised I made a mistake in my application... because it had saved data from my previous application I didn't change my address from university and it's very obvious that it's a previous address as there's a field where it says "Contactable at this address until"... will this get my whole app rejected?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I realised I made a mistake in my application... because it had saved data from my previous application I didn't change my address from university and it's very obvious that it's a previous address as there's a field where it says "Contactable at this address until"... will this get my whole app rejected?
Highly unlikely. They may not even spot it because they can’t assume that isn’t your address. It maybe obvious to you, but might not be to your reader.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I think I read that Goodwin doesn't allow you to participate in other vacation schemes if you accept their offer. @axelbeugre, do you know if this is still true? Is this a Goodwin thing or do you know other firms that have a similar policy? :)
I actually do not know how it works at other firms, I have friends who were allowed to do other schemes and others who could not (from other firms), however Goodwin did not let me yes. I think it is understandable and I was fine with it because I like the firm so much but it is something to take into account.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Just out of curiosity, I have noticed that some people tend to post on linkedin that they are a 'Training Contract Offer Holder" at a firm, and then will continue to do more vac schemes at other firms and get additional TC offers throughout the cycle. Do law firms let you attend future vac schemes at other firms (if they have already given you an offer) before deciding which you'd like to accept a TC with? or are these people just accepting offers and then reneging on them later down the line?
Some will let you so it is understandable but others will not. It really depends on the firm. Additionally, they can make exceptions for you if you have compelling reasons so it is difficult to know unless you speak to the firm about it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.