TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Omg Reed smith interview to online test and VI, certainly thought it was a PFO!! Got the invite now. To everyone waiting, please stay hopeful, maybe it’s taking them time to review applications. Would really appreciate any tips for this test/VI @axelbeugre
Congratulations!!! You should be so happy!!
In terms of tips, there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491 I hope these are helpful and good luck with the assessment!

Congratulations for getting it in the first place!

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    To be honest, we are the same so I don't think I'll have a lot to advise to you. But what I can tell you is that, particularly for Freshfields where hope is pretty much gone, is to accept the fact that we fail. It's gonna be ugly but if you face it directly, suddenly you will feel light as a feather. Besides, if for some reason they decide to invite you, a surprise would be really fun. Secondly, try to find something to keep your mind occupied. For example, I'm currently doing a revision for the 1st semester as I basically learned nothing (oopsie). And then, try to talk to people as well. I find talking to you guys on TCLA really helps taking my mind away from waiting for the emails.

Everybody copes with rejection differently but focus on the fact that rejection is an inevitable part of this journey. I don't know anybody who got a TC first time. As cliche as it sounds, treat each rejection as a learning curve. Think 'okay, I didn't get through this time - why? Maybe it was the content or structure of my answers. Maybe I need to communicate the strengths of my work experience more clearly.' This should make it easier to bounce back from rejections.

Also, even as a lawyer, things aren't going to go your way. In a sense, think of it as prep for your future career, something that is only going to make you stronger :)
    Thank you for the kind messages - I took a break from the forum to focus on my exams🙈 at least we are all going through this together and can support one another!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I got invited to do the Reed Smith test + VI today (I cried a little because I applied in December and was getting VI & WG's from other firms that I applied to afterwards) - for those who have already completed it, how was it & is it just the standard 'why & tell me a time' questions?

Please PM if necessary, I would like to be really prepared. @axelbeugre do you have any tips please? :)
    Congratulations!!!

there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491 I hope these are helpful and good luck with the assessment!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Sunshinepink

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Reactions: axelbeugre

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Hey everyone! was just curious why Ropes and Grey have a deadline till 31st January for their VS? Is it that they seem to be less popular for people as they seem to have a high oxbridge intake (checked on legal cheek) or the fact that they do not allow LPC graduates to apply? I was maybe thinking of applying to them as a final push for this season but am a bit deterred, as i am not an oxbridge candidate. Any thoughts?

Reactions: atlas2425

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hey everyone! was just curious why Ropes and Grey have a deadline till 31st January for their VS? Is it that they seem to be less popular for people as they seem to have a high oxbridge intake (checked on legal cheek) or the fact that they do not allow LPC graduates to apply? I was maybe thinking of applying to them as a final push for this season but am a bit deterred, as i am not an oxbridge candidate. Any thoughts?
    They have a pretty equal balance with RG applicants to... If you're neither RG or Oxbridge i personally wouldn't apply i mean i am neither and i didn't apply to them, Kirkland or any firm that shows they don't recruit outside these two bubbles.

But do what you feel is right! it is your future and they may be the firm to say Yes and give you that TC :D

Last edited:

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    They have a pretty equal balance with RG applicants to... If you're neither RG or Oxbridge i personally wouldn't apply i mean i am neither and i didn't apply to them, Kirkland or any firm that shows they do recruit outside these two bubbles.

But do what you feel is right! it is your future and they may be the firm to say Yes and give you that TC :D
    I agree with that - l think it's worthwhile to dedicate your time and effort to applying to more inclusive firms.

Given the options available and the significant effort required for the application process, I personally choose not to apply to firms with poor diversity records. However, this is just my approach, and I encourage everyone to pursue what they feel is best for them :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.