Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi Jessica

I applied for a 2022/23 TC with Ashurst on the 10th of October and was progressed onto the online testing stage. However I still haven’t heard back, which is unusual because the test results usually come back in a couple days. They also recruit on a rolling basis. Should I email grad rec, or just assume it’s a rejection?

Heard back yet?

SCurran96

Feb 21, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a section on a VS application I'm working on.

The firm has asked:

(1) to list any interests, positions of responsibility, scholarships, awards or prizes;

(2) to describe the most significant achievement within your academic career; and

(3) to describe the most significant achievement outside your academic career

I think question (1) can answer questions (2) and (3), particularly when mentioning scholarships. Would you advise choosing other examples for (2) and (3) than those mentioned in (1)?

Also, what constitutes 'academic achievement'? Does a position in a university society constitute an academic achievement as it is achieved within the sphere of academia?

Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a section on a VS application I'm working on.

The firm has asked:

(1) to list any interests, positions of responsibility, scholarships, awards or prizes;

(2) to describe the most significant achievement within your academic career; and

(3) to describe the most significant achievement outside your academic career

I think question (1) can answer questions (2) and (3), particularly when mentioning scholarships. Would you advise choosing other examples for (2) and (3) than those mentioned in (1)?

Also, what constitutes 'academic achievement'? Does a position in a university society constitute an academic achievement as it is achieved within the sphere of academia?

Thank you in advance.

3) sounds like an academic achievement (unless it was some form of sports scholarship).

but yes, avoid repetition. There’s no point mentioning the same thing in more than one of these questions.

The university society is not academic. By academic, they mean anything linked to your studies.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

I am wondering about how to fit months-long of work experience into 150 words. Would you encourage depth (writing about one specific project within the work experience), or broadly cover the many projects that I have worked on within a single work experience? I am guessing the latter would require me to sacrifice details relating to the results of the projects due to word count (quantity of sales, etc)

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I am wondering about how to fit months-long of work experience into 150 words. Would you encourage depth (writing about one specific project within the work experience), or broadly cover the many projects that I have worked on within a single work experience? I am guessing the latter would require me to sacrifice details relating to the results of the projects due to word count (quantity of sales, etc)

Thank you so much! :)

Definitely the latter. I suspect you are still being wordy and that you can get it into 150 words. I see people with experience over 12 months do this well. Focus on your responsibilities/achievements.

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203

BE123

Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Pinsent Masons have a 4000 Character limit for each of their application questions. Is this a limit that I should be aiming towards? Or is there a wider scope of the amount expected for these questions? I don’t want to ramble on for the sake of it, especially with how large the potential word count could be.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker!

With regards to applying for a direct TC, is there a certain amount of legal work experience a firm is expecting you to have? Thanks :)

Generally, no. I’ve offered TCs to people with no legal work experience.

some firms may want to see some, buts it’s going to vary from firm to firm.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: nina_123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Pinsent Masons have a 4000 Character limit for each of their application questions. Is this a limit that I should be aiming towards? Or is there a wider scope of the amount expected for these questions? I don’t want to ramble on for the sake of it, especially with how large the potential word count could be.

That’s only < 500 words with spaces/paragraphs. I would suggest you try to get to at least 350 of the 500 where you can, although if you haven’t got much to talk about, it would be better to write 150 clear and well structured sentences rather than 350+ words of fluff.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    When a firm asks you to talk specifically about the positions of responsibility you have been in, is it acceptable to talk about a job, even though that could be covered by the work experience section? I recently worked as a waiter in a small restaurant which was fairly understaffed so I often had to take on responsibilities beyond my role, and it is something that I think could be a good example.

My only current non-work related position of responsibility at university is volunteering at a law clinic and my other examples are not at all recent. The Law Clinic is something I'd be happy to talk about in-depth but I think I need one or two more as I have 300 words to fill.

Would it be alright to talk about having a minor position on a sports club committee during 2nd year undergrad (that was in 2015-16 though, so quite a while ago) or perhaps as a student mentor during final year undergrad (2017-18)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When a firm asks you to talk specifically about the positions of responsibility you have been in, is it acceptable to talk about a job, even though that could be covered by the work experience section? I recently worked as a waiter in a small restaurant which was fairly understaffed so I often had to take on responsibilities beyond my role, and it is something that I think could be a good example.

My only current non-work related position of responsibility at university is volunteering at a law clinic and my other examples are not at all recent. The Law Clinic is something I'd be happy to talk about in-depth but I think I need one or two more as I have 300 words to fill.

Would it be alright to talk about having a minor position on a sports club committee during 2nd year undergrad (that was in 2015-16 though, so quite a while ago) or perhaps as a student mentor during final year undergrad (2017-18)?

I’d expect the responsibilities for the waiter role to be described in your work experience section. Everyone knows what a waiter does, so explaining the understaffed piece is better there than telling them you served customers.

law clinic is completely appropriate to include though.

How long ago is “not recent”?

you don’t have to fill 300 words.

yes, I’d mention both the sport committee role and the student mentor role.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I’d expect the responsibilities for the waiter role to be described in your work experience section. Everyone knows what a waiter does, so explaining the understaffed piece is better there than telling them you served customers.

law clinic is completely appropriate to include though.

How long ago is “not recent”?

you don’t have to fill 300 words.

yes, I’d mention both the sport committee role and the student mentor role.

Thanks for the tip. The sports committee example is from 2015-16 and the student mentoring was from 2017-18

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
    I start the LPC in Feb 2020 and am looking to move to London next month as a result. My firm gives the standard maintenance grant but I haven't heard from them about when I can expect to receive the grant. It would be ideal for me if it was paid out before I move to London... Thus, would you happen to know when maintenance grants are typically paid out (I can foresee that this probably varies per firm - but is it generally before the LPC begins at least)?

Thank you.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Does the job application suggest you need to be a “recent graduate”? If so....o_O:rolleyes:

I don’t agree with the term but a recent graduate to me is someone who graduated in the last 18 months (maybe 24 months at a push). But it’s one of those definitions that is up for debate - seen some employers deem recent as graduated in the last 12 months. But that would be someone who is a “recent” PG grad as much as a UG grad.

Any job is not a position of responsibility - it is work experience. But if you have had additional responsibility in that job then explain that. By that I mean things like mentoring, CSR initiatives, being involved in volunteering/fund raising, or getting involved in work outside of your jobs remit (and by that I mean things like helping with graduate Recruitment - attending fairs, interviewing, helping out with their events etc - although could be other departments like Marketing CSR).

I wouldn’t personally focus on things you did 6-7+ years ago. You probably have a lot more recent experience that shows off your skill set better. It’s not that you should explain your first year ECs, just don’t waste word count on describing them.

Based on the above, do you have any ECs / PoR from the last 3-4 years (eg while working or during your masters).?

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for this!
    If I use my work experience in the PoR section, should I also list the additional responsibilities I was given in the work experience section and expand on them in the PoR section? Or leave them solely for the PoR section?

Thanks,

Judy

LydiaS

Dec 4, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I was wondering if graduate recruitment sometimes consider the institution where you have received your grades from when assessing candidates' application.

I obtained a First in my law degree at a RG University (but one that is slightly lower ranked on the league tables). I've been told by some individuals that a First at my university does not equate to a first at UCL or LSE, and will therefore not be as well regarded had I received my grades at a higher-ranked University. This has been rather demoralising. I was wondering what are your thoughts on this?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.