TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Cherikon

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2023
"Why do you think Fox Williams is a good fit for your legal career? Please describe how your skills and interests align with any of our core sectors. 250 max" When discussing my skills, how detailed shall I be? Should I use the STAR technique or just briefly outline my skills?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I reapplied to two firms that I got through to vi last cycle and this year I can't pass app stage. I'm sooo confused. I have more experience, also did not copy and paste from last cycle (even amended why law a little bit). What are law firms expecting to see when a candidate reapplies? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would really appreciate your answers
They would not necessarily know if you reapplied (most firms) and so it is just a matter of trying to answer the questions as best as you can and understand what the law firm wants from you each year.

Since you passed the application stage last year, it might be worth analysing what elements you included last year that you took out (perhaps) this year and see if those could potentially be the reasons why you did not pass the application stage this year.

Moreover, it might be worth noting that so many other factors might get into the reasons why you did not get through the application stage (most of which might be out of your control like competition etc) so I would say to focus on getting to know people who got through and got offers from these firms and ask for their insights into what they did, differently from you, and understand their approaches to the questions provided.

This approach, in my opinion, helps massively in understanding what the firms are looking for.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    In response to a situational judgement question regarding managing an excessive workload and balancing various duties, I mentioned that I would not request a deadline extension unless it becomes critically necessary and is also considered appropriate by my supervisor.

Is this considered the right approach? The interviewer specifically asked " Would you ask for an extension of the deadline for X task?"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    "Why do you think Fox Williams is a good fit for your legal career? Please describe how your skills and interests align with any of our core sectors. 250 max" When discussing my skills, how detailed shall I be? Should I use the STAR technique or just briefly outline my skills?
    STAR only really works for one example competency question answers (eg “tell me about a time you have….”).

Given the multiple aspects of this question, you will only have the ability to reference the skills or interests and briefly where you have gained them from rather than describing those experiences.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In response to a situational judgement question regarding managing an excessive workload and balancing various duties, I mentioned that I would not request a deadline extension unless it becomes critically necessary and is also considered appropriate by my supervisor.

Is this considered the right approach? The interviewer specifically asked " Would you ask for an extension of the deadline for X task?"
    It’s difficult to give a particular answer to this without knowing the detail of the specific question.

But ultimately asking whether deadlines can change is a very normal part of a trainee’s time management skills. It maybe that the answer is no to an extension request though, so for these type of questions you also need to be prepared for the “what if that doesn’t work” follow up question.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Cherikon

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 30, 2023
    STAR only really works for one example competency question answers (eg “tell me about a time you have….”).

Given the multiple aspects of this question, you will only have the ability to reference the skills or interests and briefly where you have gained them from rather than describing those experiences.
    Thank you, Jessica. That cleared a lot of confusion for me.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.