TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
I think there are many ways you can approach this and no one way is the right way.

The first thing is to set how you have decided the criteria to differentiate them by. That could be a whole host of things:

Practice areas
Sector focus
Strategy (and then broken down into a whole range of sub categories within strategy)
Client relationships
Technology
Alternative Services
Values
How the train/develop people
Reward or recognition structures or processes

You then need to explain why you feel this category is important, but then also provide any evidence rationale as to why they are doing what they are is different to the norm of other law firms.
@Jessica Booker Do you think it's best to lead with one of these, explain its importance, and give a specific example of how it differentiates itself in that area from another competitor?

Kodak123

Esteemed Member
Jan 17, 2023
Thr firm will likely want to see some form of development in your application to consider warrant bringing you through to next stage again. There can be a thinking as to why the outcome would be any different to the first time if there is nothing that evidences some form of opportunity to develop the skills/motivations/capabilities that needed to be stronger in the first set of assessments. But if you can demonstrate this, I don’t think you are at a disadvantage - in some instances, it may be an advantage as they may have seen a lot of positives in you the first time and are just hoping you develop in key areas (and that you reapply).

What if you just had poor performance on the day?

Miriam391

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2024
If you go to the website where you application is stored. The log in for careers at Fieldfisher. It will show the application you submitted and its status. I don't want to say that's what their verdict is. It just shocked me that an update like that had been made without me knowing. I only noticed this because I wanted to go through a response I submitted for a similar question that came up in another application. Take my information very lightly as you won't know what they think until they say.
Yeah very unprofessional not meeting their own deadlines as well… how shit. You haven’t heard back ? Please do give an update when you do and hopefully what they said in the website isn’t true 🙏🏼. And when I try to go to the DAS application it just says vacancy closed and doesn’t even let me view my application though?

Miriam391

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2024
I'm not sure as I only applied to London - if the other offices have ACs still to run then I assume it was just London.
If you go to their application hub your status should have been updated to either withdrawn/rejected or offer made :)
I must be really stupid but I have searched everywhere and cannot find their application hub. They didn’t send me anything in email like other firms do with the link to check ur application etc. and when I click the DAS application it just says vacancy closed and doesn’t let me view anything. How did you manage to?

Reactions: bella98

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    I must be really stupid but I have searched everywhere and cannot find their application hub. They didn’t send me anything in email like other firms do with the link to check ur application etc. and when I click the DAS application it just says vacancy closed and doesn’t let me view anything. How did you manage to?
    Sameee, can’t find their application hub and check the status of my application lol

SaLM

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 27, 2024
    Sameee, can’t find their application hub and check the status of my application lol
    Its on this page: https://fieldfisher.current-vacancies.com/Careers/Fieldfisher Vacancy Search Page-2074 - if you sign in by hitting the Register / Job Alerts button with the details you used for your original application you should be able to see your application status.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
    Hello Jessica & Axel, I hope your are well.
    I was just writing to ask if you know any UK universities that offer a masters degree in Canadian law. I don't know if this is the best place to ask or where to go regarding this, hence the message. I'm currently unsure as to what to do. I'm in my second year doing LLB law but I wish to move to Canada in the future. I know firms like NRF have a great presence in Canada, but is this better or is it better to work in a Canadian firm headquartered in Canada? If everything goes well, for example at NRF TC etc, upon qualification, can I transfer to the Canadian office of NRF? Also don't know whether to go down the SQE route or NCA exams? Is it too risky to do NCA exams instead of SQE?

I hope to hear from you,
    Thank you
    It is unlikely you will find a Canadian focused masters course in the U.K. - there just wouldn’t be the demand for it. Your best bet would be to study at this level in Canada.

If you want to work in Canada, then generally your best bet would be to qualify into one of their states. Getting a job in Canada may be difficult though without the right to work and without a Canadian law degree.

The other way would be to qualify into a U.K. firm and then look to move across through an internal transfer. But this is not straight forward/easy and there are no guarantees it would happen.

I would recommend tracking down lawyers who have worked in both the U.K. and Canada to get their expertise on this and the route they took, but I would expect that studying in Canada and then completing any admissions process would be the most reliable way of having a career in Canada.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.