TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    Just completed a first ever Arctic Shoes for NRF and it was an experience 🤣 The face recognition one was particularly strange as there were 60 creepy faces that seemed practically identical.

I suppose you can't read too much into the feedback report at this stage? I'd say 90% of mine were in the middle, then a few to the right and a few to the left of the circles.
    I feel like the test is a little bit weird 😂 but most of mine were in the middle as well

Reactions: Chelsea1

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I feel like the test is a little bit weird 😂 but most of mine were in the middle as well
    Like a lot of the tests, I can completely understand the purpose of them. The WG and Amberjack test your critical thinking abilities and how you process information, which will of course be useful in a law firm context. As much as I dislike them, the SJT provides an insight into how you'd react in what could be a real scenario you'd encounter.

However, I just don't get how they can measure about 40 different characteristics based off a handful of games which primarily seem to be to test your reactions and memory.

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    Like a lot of the tests, I can completely understand the purpose of them. The WG and Amberjack test your critical thinking abilities and how you process information, which will of course be useful in a law firm context. As much as I dislike them, the SJT provides an insight into how you'd react in what could be a real scenario you'd encounter.

However, I just don't get how they can measure about 40 different characteristics based off a handful of games which primarily seem to be to test your reactions and memory.
    Some of the ones aren't testing reactions or speed or even memory they are seeing whether you spot a pattern to the responses or how you approach the games strategically.

Reactions: DGI235

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre- I am preparing for an interview and I'm wondering if 3min30 is too long for the 'Tell me about yourself' question? thanks!
    I personally think that giving a specific number of minutes for an answer if quite counterproductive as you will understand, as you do when you speak to your friends and family, when you speak too much. I find it hard to believe that you will understand how many minutes you have to speak when the interview is going in a certain direction. I always say that you will understand if you are speaking too much from people's faces and body language. However, if you are a numbers person I would probably say 2-3 minutes max. This can also depend on how interesting your answer is to the interviewers.

• 🏆
    Reactions: 77777law

GB

Nov 7, 2023
    Can someone please tell me if I am being inefficient but I have just made a list (it's still growing thicccc) and I have like 50 questions the CRS VI could include. Then, I have to draft rough responses that I know won't take me longer than 60-90 seconds to say. I will be honest usually I wing interviews and hope for the best so I don't know if I am preparing properly for once 💀 or overdoing it.

Any thoughts/ tips? xx

Hope you don't mind me tagging you @axelbeugre :)
    Hi, this sounds amazing I was wondering if you would possibly mind sharing the list of questions? It sounds really helpful! Please PM me if you can.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor? (300 words)

Guys, for this question, would you explain how the relevant skill would benefit your career as a solicitor with an example? Or, would you just use a STAR structure and explain what skill you have developed through your experience?

I’m asking this since the question doesn’t say “how” will ‘x’ skill support your career as a solicitor, so I’m not sure whether to explain that or not.

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Thanks.
    I would just answer the question and so talk about one example and describe the skills you have developed through that, like communication or attention to detail, and explain how those will help you succeed in your career as a lawyer. Rather than explaining this last point with an example, you can just emphasise how these skills are fundamental for a lawyer in general.

Reactions: abhuzaifa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor? (300 words)

Guys, for this question, would you explain how the relevant skill would benefit your career as a solicitor with an example? Or, would you just use a STAR structure and explain what skill you have developed through your experience?

I’m asking this since the question doesn’t say “how” will ‘x’ skill support your career as a solicitor, so I’m not sure whether to explain that or not.

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Thanks.
    Just to stress this question is asking for multiple skills but one experience that highlights those multiple skills.

But a STAR format would be the best approach to this question because it is asking for one past example. You don’t have to explain how the skills will help you as a lawyer though - I would just focus on how you have developed them.

Reactions: abhuzaifa

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.