TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

midnightsky990422

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
Hi guys, is anyone applying to Browne Jacobson? I was wondering how you're going about the work experience section given that it says "Please give details of your responsibilities and achievements and how they support your application". With the "how they support your application" part, does this mean that you have to say something like "this supports my application by xyz..." or is it enough to outline the context of the job, explain responsibilities and achievements, and then highlight the skills gained (ensuring that the skills highlighted are relevant to the role and what the firm is looking for) just like you would in any other work experience section. I think I might be over thinking this, but this is my first app cycle so could do with some guidance :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do law firms expect in questions such as "Tell us about something - anything - that excites you and inspires you?" How should this be approached?
Pick something genuine. It doesn’t need to be related to law or the city.

For instance, what topics do you “geek out” on or try to inspire other people to get involved in/learn more about.

And the present it in a way that pitches the topic itself, but also sells your experience/involvement in this topic (eg how have you pursued your own excitement or inspiration within this topic).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How can I perhaps answer a question about why I want to pursue a career in Law in a specific region? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker :)
Focus on the differences/uniqueness of that location compared to other locations you could choose, and explain why those elements align to your particular motivations or interests.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Literally, I was begging W&C to send me my rejection on the phone rn. I asked that I need to know if I am progressed to AC or not ASAP, as I have full time job and I should ask for my annual leave 6 weeks in advance. I applied to spring VS and I cannot postpone it to summer as it overlaps with another scheme that I secured already. Every time they say we will update you, but nothing. I literally said people were offered schemes already, so just this rejection so I can plan my life. I know it’s probably not the right thing to show impatience to GR, but I have my own circumstances, and they should adjust with personal requests, if reasonable.
Anyway, I will consider it as a rejection officially now, because I will decline in both situations…

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
Hey, how did you get on with the test? My pillars came out a bit wacky in the test feedback so idk whether to be hopeful or to expect a PFO :(
hey! my feedback was very mid, so if you're worried about the response they gave me it honestly doesn't mean anything - all we gotta do is remain hopeful until we hear back from them :)

Reactions: midnightsky990422

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.