TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
Does anyone know the answer to this question? Never considered this point
"What could the firm do if the parties want to sign the acquisition document but are still waiting for regulatory approval?"
Buyer side: Having the regulatory approval will most likely increase the price. If you have already negotiated a price pre-regulatory approval, then the seller cannot increase it.

Property example: If you are selling land, and Buyer 1 is a house builder and has the intention to build 1000 flats on it to sell for £250K each, they may put in a bid of £X. The seller may think, the offer from Buyer 1 is great, Ill take it. Buyer 1 then goes out to get planning permission (costing them time and money), and after 6 months they get it. Now, they know they will rake in the money once they have built the flats, However, the seller now feels they have sold it too cheap and want to go out to tender again with regulatory approval that was granted. Seller now wants £2X.

Reactions: axelbeugre

PFO King

Feb 2, 2024
I just want to know when IM will send me my PFO so I can get on with my life at this stage - I already know that I won't be getting the AC, why have they made me wait nearly three months without an answer?! At this point even if I get the AC I might have to reject it!! I have nonrefundable plans for next month!!
I havent recived anything from them either. i only know one other person who has an AC invite but for the cambridge office.

Legally_Brunette1999

Oct 12, 2023
I havent recived anything from them either. i only know one other person who has an AC invite but for the cambridge office.
In all honesty I forgot which office I'd even applied for even before submitting my VI!! I have the London address on my profile so I'm assuming that it's the London office but even then I'm not 100% certain. All I know for sure is that I've applied on the businesses route instead of personal services. But even then, I've a really good connection and a really strong lead for a medium sized regional firm in Devon that I'm much more interested in (mostly because it seems like a lovely firm but undeniably partially because they haven't been stringing me along for MONTHS at this point!!0

impostersyndrome

Standard Member
Nov 12, 2023
Buyer side: Having the regulatory approval will most likely increase the price. If you have already negotiated a price pre-regulatory approval, then the seller cannot increase it.

Property example: If you are selling land, and Buyer 1 is a house builder and has the intention to build 1000 flats on it to sell for £250K each, they may put in a bid of £X. The seller may think, the offer from Buyer 1 is great, Ill take it. Buyer 1 then goes out to get planning permission (costing them time and money), and after 6 months they get it. Now, they know they will rake in the money once they have built the flats, However, the seller now feels they have sold it too cheap and want to go out to tender again with regulatory approval that was granted. Seller now wants £2X.
Sorry if I didn't reply to both I'm not too sure how to do that 💀
There's also other considerations like:

1. What are the contingencies in case regulatory approval does not happen
2. Will there be conditions placed in order to get regulatory approval and what happens if that's the case, financially, commercially and otherwise (e.g approval is contingent on selling a certain arm of the business to ensure competition - like with Microsoft/Activision)

The firm should advise the client on these possibilities, set these expectations and advise on next steps.

Reactions: axelbeugre

PFO King

Feb 2, 2024
In all honesty I forgot which office I'd even applied for even before submitting my VI!! I have the London address on my profile so I'm assuming that it's the London office but even then I'm not 100% certain. All I know for sure is that I've applied on the businesses route instead of personal services. But even then, I've a really good connection and a really strong lead for a medium sized regional firm in Devon that I'm much more interested in (mostly because it seems like a lovely firm but undeniably partially because they haven't been stringing me along for MONTHS at this point!!0
I asked on the thread a week ago if anyone has heard back and around 6 people said they havent, maybe they are still going through the VIs, id suggest to keep your chin up!

Legally_Brunette1999

Oct 12, 2023
I asked on the thread a week ago if anyone has heard back and around 6 people said they havent, maybe they are still going through the VIs, id suggest to keep your chin up!
Considering that I submitted my VI a day late I'm not holding my breath in the slightest lmao - I thought they'd sent the invite on a Tuesday, but it was actually sent on a Monday - so even though I was still able to submit it the day after it was due I'm not particularly optimistic about my chances lmao

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.