TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
I think open day just give you a chance to familiar with the firm. it is a great opportunity to network with trainees/associates,and it also would be helpful when you write about“why this firm”. You can also do this by participate the networking events on campus or virtually.If you familiar with these firms very well,you won't be disadvantaged.
For sure! I think I'm just unsure how it's work experience/something I'd list under my work experience section. I would talk about it in the "Why law and why this firm" section (which I have) but work experience? I'm a lil lost still. But it's deffo good for those things you mentioned

• 🤝
Reactions: Cynthia14

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
They also has the direct TC route,I think maybe not that much people to participate the VS
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw someone say the other day that they recruited a tiny amount through the direct route? As in 90% come through the VS?

In regard to the OP's question, I would guess those figures are roughly right? Although maybe slightly less at the VI/AC stage?

Reactions: Amehta1

iwantaTC26

Standard Member
Feb 14, 2024
potentially futile idea but is there a resource with technical/analytical-style interview questions with answers or pointers to answers that a family member/friend with no idea of commercial law could use to practice on me? objective is to be asked questions i've never seen before and see how i manage on the spot, but i am the first person in my family/close circle to do an AC like this (!)

Reactions: yasmars

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
For sure! I think I'm just unsure how it's work experience/something I'd list under my work experience section. I would talk about it in the "Why law and why this firm" section (which I have) but work experience? I'm a lil lost still. But it's deffo good for those things you mentioned
Open days at city law firms are essentially condensed versions of work experience, typically spanning from 9 am to 4 pm or a half day. These events encompass a range of activities such as commercial awareness workshops, application masterclasses, case study and negotiation exercises, panel discussions, firm tours, Q&A sessions, networking receptions, and practice area presentations. It's important to note that some open days are competitive and may fast-track you to an assessment day.

From a practical standpoint, participating in these open days qualifies as work experience because you gain invaluable firsthand insight into the firm's operations. While it might not be a traditional full-time job, it still provides a direct and immersive experience within the legal industry. The distinction between employment and work experience is crucial here. According to advice from graduate recruitment, including open days in the work experience section demonstrates a genuine interest and active engagement with the legal field. So, it's certainly worth highlighting as a valuable aspect of your professional development.

From my experience, I've seen demonstrable success including these open days and events in my applications.

Edit: Just to add, if you're struggling on what to put in the work experience section or you need confirmation of putting open days or less relevant work experience in applications. See this article here: https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2018/05/30/training-contract-work-experience/

Last edited:

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    potentially futile idea but is there a resource with technical/analytical-style interview questions with answers or pointers to answers that a family member/friend with no idea of commercial law could use to practice on me? objective is to be asked questions i've never seen before and see how i manage on the spot, but i am the first person in my family/close circle to do an AC like this (!)

Scroll down a bit to the technical and commercial questions

As well as this https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/

Attachments

• Practice interview question bank.pdf
      208.6 KB · Views: 76

medy

• Dec 8, 2023
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw someone say the other day that they recruited a tiny amount through the direct route? As in 90% come through the VS?

In regard to the OP's question, I would guess those figures are roughly right? Although maybe slightly less at the VI/AC stage?
    Do you think the fact that they don't have a cap on the number of trainees they recruit might have an impact?

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I know exactly who you are talking about. I had the same Partner during my Winter AC :/
    If we’re talking about HSF and the case study interview, I’m pretty sure I had the same bad experience with the same Partner (it was a male Disputes Partner).

If 4 people have had the same bad experience with one interviewer, unless it’s designed to be that one and they’re incredibly harsh, that seems off to me.

It was a shame as the other two who interviewed me were really friendly, but it was impossible to gain any sort of rapport was him. Could definitely tell he rated himself highly (and rightly so), but it was a little uncomfortable.

Reactions: Appleju1ce

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Do you think the fact that they don't have a cap on the number of trainees they recruit might have an impact?
    Potentially? From what I’ve read on here, it looks like they recruit predominantly from the VS, so if they have a year where everyone on the schemes are excellent and pretty much fill all the spaces, there’s less need to recruit as many directly.

isTeapp

Star Member
    Feb 21, 2024
    If we’re talking about HSF and the case study interview, I’m pretty sure I had the same bad experience with the same Partner (it was a male Disputes Partner).

If 4 people have had the same bad experience with one interviewer, unless it’s designed to be that one and they’re incredibly harsh, that seems off to me.

It was a shame as the other two who interviewed me were really friendly, but it was impossible to gain any sort of rapport was him. Could definitely tell he rated himself highly (and rightly so), but it was a little uncomfortable.
    It was him :/ Were you also told there was no need to pretend he is a client?

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    It was him :/ Were you also told there was no need to pretend he is a client?
    Yep, right at the start 😂

Perhaps he acted like that intentionally because you're never going to get "perfect" clients but it did feel like he was deliberately being difficult. The fact four people claim to have had the same experience is alarming too, in my opinion.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.