TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

isTeapp

Star Member
Feb 21, 2024
Coming on here as needed to vent.

I had an AC yesterday and one of the interviews was a case study interview where the Partner would assume the role of a client when you gave a 15 minute presentation, followed by 20 minutes of questions.

When I get into my interview, the Partner immediately says that he’s not going to do the role play of being the client as he finds it pointless/stupid. It threw me off a bit, but I guess you get Partners like that and who have preferences.

However, when I was trying to give my presentation, he interrupted me about every minute with a remark and questioning me, which got me incredibly flustered. I thought the questions were supposed to come afterwards. I barely got to do a “presentation” as it was just me speaking for a minute and then him probing.

I know it’s not going to change the outcome but am I right to feel annoyed about this? Feel it’s incredibly unfair if a Partner isn’t going to follow the brief they’re given. Made all my preparation feel worthless.
Was it HSF?

Z1iiiiii

Standard Member
Jan 15, 2023
Assuming Ropes & Gray still hasn't sent out AC invites, do you guys think they'll be out by next Tuesday? The first date announced is March 5th, which is a week from next Tuesday. Ngl the AC seems very intense, and there's a psychometric test to do before attending it...

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Assuming Ropes & Gray still hasn't sent out AC invites, do you guys think they'll be out by next Tuesday? The first date announced is March 5th, which is a week from next Tuesday. Ngl the AC seems very intense, and there's a psychometric test to do before attending it...
I did attend a talk from ropes & gray where grad rec mentioned the psychometric test is used to determine the sorts of questions prioritised in your interview? So if you flag as not being particularly independent/resilient they might probe you more on that than say your communication skills. So I think it could be quite short notice for the AC considering that…

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
So some people have already received AC invites for the 5th of March?

Z1iiiiii

Standard Member
Jan 15, 2023
So some people have already received AC invites for the 5th of March?
Hi, I'm not sure about that, 5th of March is the first date announced on their website but I haven't seen anyone on TCLA with an AC invite for the 5th. Just assuming that if no one has received an AC yet, then next Tuesday is probably a reasonable last day to expect for AC invites [at least for the 05 March batch, if invites are not sent out all at once]

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 14.24.58.png

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
I have seen a lot of people that have done VIs for Mishcon. Is this for the spring scheme or for the summer also?
😍: applied to summer VS and received/ done VI.
🤝: applied to summer VS and heard nothing.

I've applied to the summer one and heard nothing from them, so wondering whether to assume PFO.

Last edited:

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
I have seen a lot of people that have done VIs for Mishcon. Is this for the spring scheme or for the summer also?
🤝: applied to spring VS and received/ done VI.

I've applied to the summer one and heard nothing from them, so wondering whether to assume PFO.
I emailed them regarding the latter and they said they’re still reviewing applications and we should hear back latest end of Feb.

Reactions: AlegalA

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023

I wouldn't assume PFO as they are still reviewing VIs (summer). When did you do your VI?

estimur

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023

I would not assume PFO.
Everyone I know who applied has heard back one way or another :)

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Since you asked...

Willkie Farr & Gallagher ✅📼📝❌
    Covington & Burling ✅❌
    Shearman & Sterling ✅❌
    White & Case ✅📼🎙️❌
    Milbank ✅❌
    Ropes & Gray ✅
    Arnold & Porter ✅
    Sullivan & Cromwell ✅❌
    Latham & Watkins ✅🎙️❌
    Kirkland & Ellis ✅❌
    Skadden Arps ✅❌
    Vinson & Elkins ✅❌
    Weil Gotshal & Manges ✅❌
    Akin ✅📝❌
    Gibson Dunn ✅❌
    Goodwin ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅❌
    Paul Hastings ✅
    Ashurst ✅ 📝❌
    Macfarlanes ✅📝❌
    Mayer Brown ✅📝❌
    Winston & Strawn ✅
    Morgan Lewis ✅❌
    Orrick ✅
    Dechert ✅📝❌
    Cooley ✅❌
    Morrison Foerster ✅
    Slaughter and May ✅❌

✅ = applied; ❌ = PFO; 📼 = VI; 🎙️ = AC; 📝 = test.
    When did you hear back from Mayer Brown post test? :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.