TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Lola333

Star Member
Aug 27, 2023
A general question regarding timeframes for accepting training contract offers after a vac scheme.

If I have a vac scheme with firm A who offers me a TC before another Vac scheme with another firm that I prefer but the vac scheme hasn't even commenced yet, would I be have enough time to do the vac scheme with firm B and then consider both options, or would the offer 'expire' for the TC from firm A?

Thanks in advance
I would read your TC thoroughly and check there aren't any clauses preventing you from participating in another firm's vac scheme, then sign the TC so it doesn't expire. In the event you convert the VS to a TC, you can renege on your first offer. I'm in the same situ and this is what I have done :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: clo224455 and Sharon Wu

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    If anyone knows what Paul Hastings' summer work placement involves, please let me know.
    It's a week working in one of their seats. It doesn't have an exit interview as far as I know, but it's supposed to "feed into" a TC. Essentially, after it finishes you will apply for the TC and it's almost like being fast-tracked for it.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sxw517

Tears4Tc

Feb 27, 2024
    Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I recently received a rejection for a law firm I did an AC with this morning. I’m waiting on a couple other applications but think this concludes my cycle. I don’t want it to end though so I’m planning to make a few other applications. Does anyone know if Paul Hastings takes into account mitigating circumstances for a-levels? I’ve emailed grad recruitment but thought I would ask on here as well.

• 🤝
    Reactions: wannabesheridansmith

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I recently received a rejection for a law firm I did an AC with this morning. I’m waiting on a couple other applications but think this concludes my cycle. I don’t want it to end though so I’m planning to make a few other applications. Does anyone know if Paul Hastings takes into account mitigating circumstances for a-levels? I’ve emailed grad recruitment but thought I would ask on here as well.
    No clue, but my experience with PH indicates that they're less keen on academics (ofc being a good 2:1 candidate is important), and more keen on well-rounded, smart and driven individuals

Lawyer500

Distinguished Member
    Jan 24, 2024
    Hey don’t feel too bad! I had two TC interviews in December last year for a law centre and Accutrainee. I thought I did really well in both and was rejected from both. The law centre rejection was because my competitor had more experience (but all feedback was positive) and Accutrainee basically said I talk too much 🤣. Immediately after, I completed two ACs at international law firms that dwarf both those organisations, and was offered a place on both. The recruitment process for both firms were much harder too. I felt exactly the way you did. “If I can’t even get offers from smaller places, how will I get a place with an international law firm or a magic circle firm?” the answer is you can and you will! Rejection is redirection and that firm just wasn’t the place for you. Do not give up, the right firm is out there, you won’t be able to find it if you stop applying. Use the resources around you (TCLA, your university, your friends, social mobility programmes if you are eligible) and just keep trying ❤️
    Agreed!! I also want to add that smaller firms can sometimes have really specific requirements eg type of person, specific experience, recruit a very small amount of trainees, have a higher threshold for legal experience (possibly as they may have lower budget for training) etc and I actually believe that you cannot assume it’s supposed to be easier as a result of this, you might just be more suited to an international, larger law firm! I applied to a small to medium sized UK based firm (no international matters at all) and they had 300 applicants for only 12 TC spaces. So very competitive! Keep going!

Last edited:

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    An app is stating: "Please provide details of all modules which are counted towards your final degree grade. In order to complete the section you need to include at least 1 module". Does this mean we don't include our first year grades if they are not weighed in the end grade? (My uni was 25% 2nd year and 75% final year). Or should we still include them because without them we would not have a degree?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Shah74k

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 12, 2023
    An app is stating: "Please provide details of all modules which are counted towards your final degree grade. In order to complete the section you need to include at least 1 module". Does this mean we don't include our first year grades if they are not weighed in the end grade? (My uni was 25% 2nd year and 75% final year). Or should we still include them because without them we would not have a degree?
    What firm is this for?

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    thank you so much for this!! that's honestly how i felt because the rejection email literally said "although you came across well, unfortunately...", and it feels so discouraging if even these 'smaller' firms think i'm not good enough for them.
    but you're right, i shouldn't let that rejection get to me that easily but it really does feel disheartening when you think a firm is the perfect match for you but they don't. but anyway! life moves on, will just keep applying until someone says yes 😌
    Exactly! It takes one yes and separately, an application cycle will always change your perspective on a firm. The ones you seem to overlook for one reason or another may be the ones you end falling in love with (speaking from personal experience) :D

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Hey all,

Those of you who haven't secured a VS yet, are you still applying for Direct TCs this year? I only ask as it is my first cycle, but work full-time (legal but not in corporate). Just wondering if you can apply to a TC without VS experience - and if so are we at a disadvantage?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.