TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Nine

Standard Member
Feb 15, 2024
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Hi Jessica and Axel! (+ anyone else who’d like to give advice)

Unfortunately a firm I really like has PFO’d me for their vac schemes but I know I can reapply for their TC’s and I’m hopeful about it - What changes do you think I should make to show my continued interest to work at the firm? My rejection was post VI so I think there might be something to do with that given it was my first VI. Thank you!!
Hey @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre - do let me know about this please :) Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The 2 Paul Hastings questions seem awfully similar ?? Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? and What has attracted you to Paul Hastings?
I would focus the first one what you hope to gain from the vacation scheme (so why the opportunity) while the second question can be more focus on why the firm.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The 2 Paul Hastings questions seem awfully similar ?? Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? and What has attracted you to Paul Hastings?
I would focus the first one what you hope to gain from the vacation scheme (so why the opportunity) while the second question can be more focus on why the firm.

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
I was in the middle dot for all but 8 of the qualities! For the other 8, I got 6 on the right and 2 on the left! Absolutely no idea what any of that means though hahah - happy to give more detail but I do not understand the feedback very much on these tests
Thank you! I haven't heard anything yet :( I was in the middle dot for the majority, with about 50/50 to the left/right.

When did you submit your application if you don't mind me asking? I know it's non-rolling but I love the firm and scrambling!

Reactions: Chelsea1

Misty Meanor

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hello @Jessica Booker,

I just wanted to seek your advice. I have an upcoming AC this week, however I have fallen ill. I emailed the firm last week but only received a reply today that stated that there was only this AC slot available, and if I do not attend I would miss out on this opportunity. I am unsure what to do in this circumstance, as I do not want to miss out on the AC, but also do not want my illness to impact my performance. Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Am I expected to ask questions at the end of a live video interview? if yes, what sort of questions should I ask?
Do you mean interview with partners, associates or graduate recruitment right? If so, yes, you are expected to ask questions at the end. If you mean a classic video interview then no.

In terms of questions, it really depends on you and what you want to know about the firm or the interviewers. I personally always asked about their favourite deal or case they worked on, their favourite client, why they decided to pursue a career in law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker,

I just wanted to seek your advice. I have an upcoming AC this week, however I have fallen ill. I emailed the firm last week but only received a reply today that stated that there was only this AC slot available, and if I do not attend I would miss out on this opportunity. I am unsure what to do in this circumstance, as I do not want to miss out on the AC, but also do not want my illness to impact my performance. Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Is it in person or virtual?

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    I was in the middle dot for all but 8 of the qualities! For the other 8, I got 6 on the right and 2 on the left! Absolutely no idea what any of that means though hahah - happy to give more detail but I do not understand the feedback very much on these tests
    Damn I got 12 to the right, 2 to left, rest in the middle and no invite, wonder how they score that, unless my cover letter was dead 💀

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chelsea1 and DGI235

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Hi Jessica and Axel! (+ anyone else who’d like to give advice)

Unfortunately a firm I really like has PFO’d me for their vac schemes but I know I can reapply for their TC’s and I’m hopeful about it - What changes do you think I should make to show my continued interest to work at the firm? My rejection was post VI so I think there might be something to do with that given it was my first VI. Thank you!!
    A lot of firms suggest to not reapply to the direct training contract route if you have been rejected the same here unless substantive change to your application has been made, as in you have done an interesting work experience.

I personally would not apply because your chances of succeeding with this firm might be a big slim. I was in your same shoes with W&C last year before receiving my training contract offer from another firm I was considering applying after the video interview stage but I got the advice to not apply to the direct training contract route as nothing in my application would have changed apart adding a vacation scheme from a US firm. They tend to reserve the spots for people who cannot attend the scheme or who work full-time, understandably so.

What I would do if I were in your shoes is speaking to people who were successful in the process this year, ask them how they passed the video interview stage and make sure that you implement these tips and suggestions in the next cycle.

Unless you have had other vacation scheme offers that you can put in your application, I personally would not apply again as it is really difficult to succeed with those especially if you got already rejected the same application cycle, since your competition will have the edge of not being in your position if that makes sense.

However, if you feel like you still have a good chance then I would recommend keep learning about the firm through their LinkedIn and social media pages as well as the website, speaking with people at the firm, from future trainees to associates, and rewrite the answers you provided in the applications.

I also shared some tips on passing video interviews which I think you would find useful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

I also recently wrote a guide with more tips: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167426

I hope this helps!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    1) I think that the first questions pushes you to mention 2/3 reasons as to why you would practically benefit from the experience at the firm. Here, I would talk about the chance of meeting inspiring partners and associates whose work you admire and like, the chance of experiencing the practical tasks of a trainee at the firm and understanding the culture of the firm for instance.
    2) Here, I would list the 2/3 reasons for which I am applying to the firm: is it a particular practice area the firm excels at? Is it the deals and cases the firm works on? Is it the type of clients the firm deals with? Is it the pro bono opportunities which attracted you most? All these considerations could be made in this answer, which have to be very specific to the firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.