• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Hiya,

I was wondering if you think there are any advantages of completing a 2 week summer scheme over a 1 week spring scheme. A firm has given me the option of both and I feel like having the extra week may allow for extra coffee chats or time to build rapport. Do you know if factors like this will be considered when assessing candidates for TCs? I want to give myself the best chance :)

To that point, do you have any tips with how to succeed on a vacation scheme?

Thanks so much for all the help!
Congratulations on securing an offer first of all!! You should be so proud!

Secondly, I personally would choose what suits you best in terms of university work and other commitments. I personally think that there is no benefits in doing one or the other if a firm offers multiple. I would say that I did the spring scheme at a firm last year and more offers were offered in the spring scheme cohort then the summer one, so this is something I would take into account.

However, it depends on the firm, some firms do have stricter conversion rate so joining either scheme will not matter as much. In conclusion, I would say that it depends on you and your free time, but the spring scheme, in my opinion, if you are free to do it, might give you more chances purely based on the fact that it happens before.

In terms of tips to prepare for a vacation scheme, I shared some tips in this post which I think would be beneficial to you: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-168253

Good luck!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu and GWJlaw

MrHubertLouis

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 5, 2021
Not sure this is the right place to ask but I recently booked a mock interview with TCLA and have been trying to reschedule it since I can no longer attend it but I haven’t been successful. Can anybody advise what I can do?

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    What are the best questions to ask at the end of a partner interview?
    Questions I’ve asked:

Work related:
    1. (Assuming they’ve been at the firm for more than 10 years which most partners have been) What has kept you at the firm for so many years?

2. What are the biggest challenges of being a partner?

3. What are your hopes for the firm/your department over the next few years?

About you as a future trainee:

1. What character traits are you looking for in trainees that do a seat rotation in your department?

When they give you an answer, you can follow up and ask if these are common traits in successful (those who have qualified and stayed at the firm) trainees.

2. If you are working on a matter with a trainee and their supervisor, what kind of tasks are usually assigned to trainees?

3. What would you say is the recipe for success as a vacation scheme candidate/trainee?

I’m 100% sure they’ll say there isn’t one but in my experience, it presents an opportunity for further discussion.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your interview!

hanz123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 16, 2022
    Questions I’ve asked:

Work related:
    1. (Assuming they’ve been at the firm for more than 10 years which most partners have been) What has kept you at the firm for so many years?

2. What are the biggest challenges of being a partner?

3. What are your hopes for the firm/your department over the next few years?

About you as a future trainee:

1. What character traits are you looking for in trainees that do a seat rotation in your department?

When they give you an answer, you can follow up and ask if these are common traits in successful (those who have qualified and stayed at the firm) trainees.

2. If you are working on a matter with a trainee and their supervisor, what kind of tasks are usually assigned to trainees?

3. What would you say is the recipe for success as a vacation scheme candidate/trainee?

I’m 100% sure they’ll say there isn’t one but in my experience, it presents an opportunity for further discussion.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your interview!
    Thank you 😊

• 🤝
    Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    got shortlisted for an interview at a high street firm for their Easter scheme! my first small win of the year
    just got rejected post-VI for this firm and it's genuinely making me so sad. it was the least competitive out of all the firms I applied to, and I felt more confident in that VI than i did for my other firms. just really sucks man because i just keep feeling worse about myself and i don't even know what firms are looking for anymore 😐

Sharon Wu

Valued Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    I would love to understand why they have adopted this policy.
    “These placements are for those looking to gain experience in a City practice and will give participants experience of life at the firm and the work our lawyers do“

Work placements (Law Careers Net)
    “...specifically target students that meet our diversity priority criteria ie BAME, social mobility and disability.”

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Same, doesn't really make sense to me.

Are you applying to their VS or Direct TC?
    Honestly? I do not know because they are widely known for their transactional work, although I have some experience in this area, there is another team that is capturing my attention (Tier 2 and incredible cases) and aligns with my professional experience. However, I am worried that, if I do not refer to their transactional work,my app will not be selected.

Reactions: sxw517

kcr

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2022
    Just looking for some advice: I have a VS place and a TC interview coming up. I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms but they will likely be rejections. I'm not sure if I should continue to send applications or take a break and focus on ensuring that the VS/TC interview converts into a TC offer.

Is anybody in a similar situation/has dealt with a similar situation in the past? Your insights are highly valuable :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    “These placements are for those looking to gain experience in a City practice and will give participants experience of life at the firm and the work our lawyers do“

Work placements (Law Careers Net)
    “...specifically target students that meet our diversity priority criteria ie BAME, social mobility and disability.”
    Thank you @Sharon Wu

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.