TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
got shortlisted for an interview at a high street firm for their Easter scheme! my first small win of the year
just got rejected post-VI for this firm and it's genuinely making me so sad. it was the least competitive out of all the firms I applied to, and I felt more confident in that VI than i did for my other firms. just really sucks man because i just keep feeling worse about myself and i don't even know what firms are looking for anymore 😐

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
I would love to understand why they have adopted this policy.
“These placements are for those looking to gain experience in a City practice and will give participants experience of life at the firm and the work our lawyers do“

Work placements (Law Careers Net)
“...specifically target students that meet our diversity priority criteria ie BAME, social mobility and disability.”

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Same, doesn't really make sense to me.

Are you applying to their VS or Direct TC?
Honestly? I do not know because they are widely known for their transactional work, although I have some experience in this area, there is another team that is capturing my attention (Tier 2 and incredible cases) and aligns with my professional experience. However, I am worried that, if I do not refer to their transactional work,my app will not be selected.

Reactions: sxw517

kcr

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2022
Just looking for some advice: I have a VS place and a TC interview coming up. I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms but they will likely be rejections. I'm not sure if I should continue to send applications or take a break and focus on ensuring that the VS/TC interview converts into a TC offer.

Is anybody in a similar situation/has dealt with a similar situation in the past? Your insights are highly valuable :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
“These placements are for those looking to gain experience in a City practice and will give participants experience of life at the firm and the work our lawyers do“

Work placements (Law Careers Net)
“...specifically target students that meet our diversity priority criteria ie BAME, social mobility and disability.”
Thank you @Sharon Wu

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

s2203

Star Member
Mar 28, 2023
assuming im successful, what if I can't pick up the TS call? do they email?
Nah they’ll leave you a voicemail to call them back :) Last year GR left me a voicemail and I was able to schedule a time which was best suited for me. They’ll then email you a confirmation of your interview slot and the GR partner who is interviewing you.

also, don’t be afraid to book your interview at the latest slot available (if that is the most con for you). My interview was on the last day they were holding interviews and I heard back two days later with an offer via email

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    just got rejected post-VI for this firm and it's genuinely making me so sad. it was the least competitive out of all the firms I applied to, and I felt more confident in that VI than i did for my other firms. just really sucks man because i just keep feeling worse about myself and i don't even know what firms are looking for anymore 😐
    Hey don’t feel too bad! I had two TC interviews in December last year for a law centre and Accutrainee. I thought I did really well in both and was rejected from both. The law centre rejection was because my competitor had more experience (but all feedback was positive) and Accutrainee basically said I talk too much 🤣. Immediately after, I completed two ACs at international law firms that dwarf both those organisations, and was offered a place on both. The recruitment process for both firms were much harder too. I felt exactly the way you did. “If I can’t even get offers from smaller places, how will I get a place with an international law firm or a magic circle firm?” the answer is you can and you will! Rejection is redirection and that firm just wasn’t the place for you. Do not give up, the right firm is out there, you won’t be able to find it if you stop applying. Use the resources around you (TCLA, your university, your friends, social mobility programmes if you are eligible) and just keep trying ❤️

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    Nah they’ll leave you a voicemail to call them back :) Last year GR left me a voicemail and I was able to schedule a time which was best suited for me. They’ll then email you a confirmation of your interview slot and the GR partner who is interviewing you.

also, don’t be afraid to book your interview at the latest slot available (if that is the most con for you). My interview was on the last day they were holding interviews and I heard back two days later with an offer via email
    when you hear back last year?

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    Hey don’t feel too bad! I had two TC interviews in December last year for a law centre and Accutrainee. I thought I did really well in both and was rejected from both. The law centre rejection was because my competitor had more experience (but all feedback was positive) and Accutrainee basically said I talk too much 🤣. Immediately after, I completed two ACs at international law firms that dwarf both those organisations, and was offered a place on both. The recruitment process for both firms were much harder too. I felt exactly the way you did. “If I can’t even get offers from smaller places, how will I get a place with an international law firm or a magic circle firm?” the answer is you can and you will! Rejection is redirection and that firm just wasn’t the place for you. Do not give up, the right firm is out there, you won’t be able to find it if you stop applying. Use the resources around you (TCLA, your university, your friends, social mobility programmes if you are eligible) and just keep trying ❤️
    thank you so much for this!! that's honestly how i felt because the rejection email literally said "although you came across well, unfortunately...", and it feels so discouraging if even these 'smaller' firms think i'm not good enough for them.
    but you're right, i shouldn't let that rejection get to me that easily but it really does feel disheartening when you think a firm is the perfect match for you but they don't. but anyway! life moves on, will just keep applying until someone says yes 😌

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.