TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Happycloud100

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
I have low A level grades and PH website says they look for majority As in A levels. Will it make sense to apply?
Unpopular opinion but I have Bs and Cs at alevel and have gotten ACs / VS offers at debevoise / skadden / Weil - I really wouldn’t deep it about alevel grades. If you back yourself and are confident - the person reading your application will focus on what you bring to the table not your grades (Ofcourse it’s your job to highlight what you bring)

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
Depends on how low it is and If you have mitigating circumstances. Always check with grad recruitment if you're unsure. But if it says majority A, I (personally) wouldn't apply with something less than AAB. Based on what they say.

There's no shame in applying, just know what you're up against and what you have to do to make yourself stand out - Top Degree grade, work experience, strongly written application, etc. Your materials have to be strong IMO. Maybe that could get you through!

But also just a question, why Paul Hastings? (I assume it's them). I'm sure you could get accepted by another firm that's less strict on grade requirements. I'm sure it's a great firm but there are so many other US/UK firms to consider. Is there something exceptional about the firm that makes you believe you SHOULD apply? Particularly when you know you don't meet the requirements? I hope I'm not sounding too harsh or direct. I'm just as curious as you are.
yes you are correct there are other really good places that I applied to and also got Video Interviews from these places however, I did not pass any of the VIs and now I am only left with three options.

So I wanted to expand the number of applications as I am a bit scared of applying for direct tcs since I have no experience. But now I know this much that I will have to practice VIs for next year.

Its not PH personally but I just wanted to apply to any VS still open.

Reactions: bangarangbass39

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
Unpopular opinion but I have Bs and Cs at alevel and have gotten ACs / VS offers at debevoise / skadden / Weil - I really wouldn’t deep it about alevel grades. If you back yourself and are confident - the person reading your application will focus on what you bring to the table not your grades (Ofcourse it’s your job to highlight what you bring)
This is amazing.

Reactions: yueyueer and Sharon Wu

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    Ashurst PFO post-interview.

Probably my last time on this forum until next cycle, given up for now...
    Firstly, sorry for this very soppy post, I was in a bad place xoxo Glad to say I have recovered from the rejection lol.

Anyway, I'm now thinking forwards to the next cycle, and wondered if anyone has any advice on the following: basically, I'm gonna be starting my 3rd year studying Law in September, whilst completing another brutal application cycle. Also, my main role of responsibility that I use in my applications involves a lot of responsibility and work. Whilst balancing these 3 things this year, I saw a decrease in my marks following my January exams, and did not secure a VS or TC. So, clearly I need to change my schedule.

I now need to consider whether I re-run in that role of responsibility for next year - I do many interesting projects in this role which is good for applications. However, I also want to graduate with both a decent job (and if I can, a TC!). In my head, I can either study and continue my role of responsibility, or study and do an applications, but not both to do well. I'm also cautious law firms will notice if I stop my role of responsibility and do not do anything in its place.

What would you do if you were me? I'm open to any suggestions! Thank you

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    yes you are correct there are other really good places that I applied to and also got Video Interviews from these places however, I did not pass any of the VIs and now I am only left with three options.

So I wanted to expand the number of applications as I am a bit scared of applying for direct tcs since I have no experience. But now I know this much that I will have to practice VIs for next year.

Its not PH personally but I just wanted to apply to any VS still open.
    That sucks. The application cycle is brutal. But getting to VI is incredibly impressive. I got a rejection today as well.

I'd say shoot it then. I can't say with certainty that your app wouldn't go through. As I said, everything else matters like your materials - Work Experience, Motivation, Competency answers. As TCLA has shown the most unlikely get incredibly far! There is no perfect applicant.

I think that if you're applying though it should be clear why the firm and why you. You can apply, but to get far you should be incredibly motivated to work for them and not just because they have vacancies. You should want to work there/get experience there above all. I think that's why I asked the question. Not because I think you're making a bad decision based on your grade profile. I just think you should, really, REALLY wanna work there.

Reactions: Cynthia14

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    I would read your TC thoroughly and check there aren't any clauses preventing you from participating in another firm's vac scheme, then sign the TC so it doesn't expire. In the event you convert the VS to a TC, you can renege on your first offer. I'm in the same situ and this is what I have done :)
    Thanks so much for this!!

If I sign the TC but convert the VS at the other firm to a TC offer, would I be able to retract my signing of the TC? Or have I committed to something that means I can't.

Also, do you know if its possible to ask for extensions on signing the TC ? :)

Last edited:

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    A general question regarding timeframes for accepting training contract offers after a vac scheme.

If I have a vac scheme with firm A who offers me a TC before another Vac scheme with another firm that I prefer but the vac scheme hasn't even commenced yet, would I be have enough time to do the vac scheme with firm B and then consider both options, or would the offer 'expire' for the TC from firm A?

Thanks in advance

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
    it depends on the firm. I was in this situation last year and I waited until both schemes were over to accept one, but this was dependent on the first firm not giving me a strict timeframe/ deadline for which I had to reply, as opposed to the second firm who did give a deadline. so definitely ask the firm/ read the contract to see if there is a date by which you need to accept/reject and then see where you can go from there!

Reactions: clo224455

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Hiya,

I was wondering if you think there are any advantages of completing a 2 week summer scheme over a 1 week spring scheme. A firm has given me the option of both and I feel like having the extra week may allow for extra coffee chats or time to build rapport. Do you know if factors like this will be considered when assessing candidates for TCs? I want to give myself the best chance :)

To that point, do you have any tips with how to succeed on a vacation scheme?

Thanks so much for all the help!
    The firm wouldn't run different length schemes if there was a preference for a candidate who had done a longer or shorter scheme. I would go with the scheme that works best for you.

There is some great advice in this thread that gives advice on converting your scheme:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not sure this is the right place to ask but I recently booked a mock interview with TCLA and have been trying to reschedule it since I can no longer attend it but I haven’t been successful. Can anybody advise what I can do?
    Do you still need help with this? If so, please feel free to PM me with your name/email address and I can ask the team to contact you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This isn't a vac scheme question so sorry for randomly putting this here, but I applied for a law-related but non-legal graduate role with a company in London and the recruiter has not been in touch? I did the online test beginning January and since then have reached out to her by email but have had nothing back lol shall I just assume they aren't going to take me forward in the application process but haven't bothered to tell me?
    You could chase one last time to see if it was just missed, but sometimes recruitment can be like this unfortunately, especially when they are individual roles rather than programmes.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker, it is in-person. They are not running any virtual ACs from what I've gathered.
    This is tricky then. I would suggest resting up until the assessment centre and then trying to attend on the basis you are well enough to travel into the office and that you aren't going to be contagious.

I understand you may not still be feeling 100% and that you may be concerned about how it impacts your performance, but it seems like this would be your only chance to be considered. There won't be anything else you can do (which is really disappointing).

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    it depends on the firm. I was in this situation last year and I waited until both schemes were over to accept one, but this was dependent on the first firm not giving me a strict timeframe/ deadline for which I had to reply, as opposed to the second firm who did give a deadline. so definitely ask the firm/ read the contract to see if there is a date by which you need to accept/reject and then see where you can go from there!
    That's great advice thanks !! :)

Reactions: rosec

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A general question regarding timeframes for accepting training contract offers after a vac scheme.

If I have a vac scheme with firm A who offers me a TC before another Vac scheme with another firm that I prefer but the vac scheme hasn't even commenced yet, would I be have enough time to do the vac scheme with firm B and then consider both options, or would the offer 'expire' for the TC from firm A?

Thanks in advance

It depends on the firm's policy. Some will give you to mid September to accept, others may only give you 4 weeks.

However, you can accept and then renege on an offer as long as you have not started any onboarding processes for the GDL/LPC/SQE or have received any financial support from the firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.