TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Happycloud100

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
Hey guys, hope to get some advice. I got an AC for a VS but as I am based outside the UK, I have to fly to the UK and it is very costly. I do not think the firm offers virtual AC due to the format of the AC. I have already accepted the AC invite in-person a while back as I was very eager for the AC. Should I ask if I could do the AC virtually even though I doubt this is an option, and would requesting this now put the firm off? Is it advisable that I fly to the UK for the AC? Thanks.
If you’re flying from Europe many firms will reimburse

Reactions: Cynthia14

neonorange

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2024
I have seen posts on this thread referring to a firm as their 'dream firm'. How do candidates know that a firm is their 'dream firm'? In my opinion, I don't think doing a vacation scheme alone is enough to come to this conclusion.
I wonder this too. My dream firm is anywhere that will give me a TC and pays £80k+ NQ. There are obviously firms I think align slightly more with my career goals but can't fathom what makes something someone's dream firm without an idea of what the culture is actually like.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for a firm to reply post application/test/vi? Does anyone have experience of waiting an exceptionally long time to hear back and receive a successful application/progression to the next stage?

I'm starting to think the longer the wait the more likely the rejection.

• 🤝
Reactions: DGI235

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
I have low A level grades and PH website says they look for majority As in A levels. Will it make sense to apply?
Depends on how low it is and If you have mitigating circumstances. Always check with grad recruitment if you're unsure. But if it says majority A, I (personally) wouldn't apply with something less than AAB. Based on what they say.

There's no shame in applying, just know what you're up against and what you have to do to make yourself stand out - Top Degree grade, work experience, strongly written application, etc. Your materials have to be strong IMO. Maybe that could get you through!

But also just a question, why Paul Hastings? (I assume it's them). I'm sure you could get accepted by another firm that's less strict on grade requirements. I'm sure it's a great firm but there are so many other US/UK firms to consider. Is there something exceptional about the firm that makes you believe you SHOULD apply? Particularly when you know you don't meet the requirements? I hope I'm not sounding too harsh or direct. I'm just as curious as you are.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.