TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I saw a travers summer offer on linkedin!
there goes my hope lol💀
Maybe I’m just a perennial optimist, but I’ve only seen a couple of people have Travers interviews on here and they’re a popular firm, so I’d expect more. Someone who had one last cycle said they heard early March too about an interview.

I wouldn’t assume at all that you’re out if you haven’t heard seeing as the vast majority also appear to still be waiting.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Ooh ok, that’s helpful to know thank you

Is there a TCLA version of this because I’d rather keep anonymous, I feel bit embarrassed about my situ and law is small world
Said this to so many people, but there’s absolutely no need to feel embarrassed. I feel year on year the competition is getting stiffer and almost everyone who applies is a strong candidate, so it’s not as if you’re doing anything wrong :)

How many cycles are you on and how many applications have you done if you don’t mind me asking?

Also feel free to DM me if you want any specific advice :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it necessarily a bad thing to mention the same deal a firm worked on in a video interview as you did in the written application ? I'm not sure if they compare the VI to the written app or not
It’s not necessarily a bad thing but showing your interests or knowledge spread across a wider range of topics is never a bad thing at the same time, so if you can use other examples I would try to where you can.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I’ve applied to W&C’s summer vacation scheme but wouldn’t be able to attend the dates anyway. I haven’t heard back yet - would it be fine to rescind my application and apply to the direct tc instead (would it have any impact on my tc applicarion?)

Thank you!
You could ask them to consider you for the direct training contract instead. I did it with Dentons last year and they were very fine with it so you might want to send an email to graduate recruitment.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it necessarily a bad thing to mention the same deal a firm worked on in a video interview as you did in the written application ? I'm not sure if they compare the VI to the written app or not
I would try to diversify what you say in a video interview to give a different perspective to your application as a whole. When it comes to a deal, if you can, it might be worth mentioning a different one just to show the level of research you have done on the firm.

Reactions: tanamontana

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
W&C PFO post app. Absolute joke of a process!!! Are law firms actually serious about what they preach day in day out in all these networking events??? I diligently follow every and any advice that I’ve received so far and to still think it’s not enough is seriously just too frustrating. Feels like the 3 degrees I’ve earned over the past 6 years is a waste of my time and efforts. Unbelievable

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
Is there anyone else who is a graduate who has applied several cycles and has rarely made it post-app, who would want to make a group chat where we support each other and share advice we have? If so, please like this and I can get a group chat made because I’m slowly losing faith 🥲
I'd love to join. I learn with every application I make and at each stage I get to... But it would be great to just be a one-and-done applicant. I know several people who got a TC within just 5 applications. I get through post-app for most firms, can get through case studies, can get through WGT's, SJTs and games-based-tests. But give me a VI or an in-person interview and it just gets messy lol... I have now started to get through VI's after realising recruiters do not like people who read off scripts (which I did for my earlier applications)... Now to work out how to conquer those structured competency based interviews 😭 I just need a partner who wants to just have an informal chat🤣

First year: ~5 applications made. Could not pass the WGT. Rejected from them all
Second year: ~5 applications. Could not pass the WGT for the 4 that had them. The one that had no testing I got through to interview. The interview has previously been documented lol.
Final year: made ~ 12 applications for direct TC's after my final year exams. Had a few ITWS (already discussed elsewhere). I look back and realise how rubbish the majority of my applications were. I had a conversation with a friend who is a trainee at a US firm and implemented his strategy (he made only 1 application and got the TC)
This year: now a graduate and working full time, is my first real cycle that I'm putting in the work. I can now pass the WGT (after speaking with a different friend who is great at them and implementing her trail of thought), but now firms have moved onto VI's and SJT's:rolleyes:. I just need a break 😝

Last edited:

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
If I can't make a summer VS at a firm I really like, am I able to ask to be considered for a TC instead? I was offered the VS on weds
Which firm is it if you don’t mind me asking?

I think it would depend on how many are successful the direct route. If they recruit only or solely through the VS process it may be difficult, but if there’s a TC, perhaps they could fast track you?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

AS89

Standard Member
Nov 3, 2023
any words from Gibson Dunn???

They sent me this email about a week ago:

"I hope you’re well and thank you for your email.

We are currently working on screening applications, and will get back to you with an outcome of your application as soon as we can.

If you have not heard back from us with a rejection email, your application is still under review.

Thanks for your continued patience."

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.