Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just tidying up my Winston answers before I send them.

For the first question: Why have you applied to Winston & Strawn London LLP for a vacation scheme placement? (250 words or less)

Did people explicitly refer to the vs, my answer focuses more on why Winston, as opposed to what I would get from a VS. I don't know whether to bolt a mini-para on the end explaining why I want to participate in the VS. Thoughts?
I would get a bit of why the VS in their if you can.

vacschemesgalore

Standard Member
Jan 19, 2024
Hey everyone - I have a question about vacation scheme clashes.
I have a confirmed Cleary Gottlieb vacation scheme in July (which I'm really pleased about!) But I have also been invited to an Assessment Day for Clifford Chance's Spark Programme. Essentially I would not be able to go to their week-long 'classroom-based learning' this year (Year 1) (SPARK insights), but if I was lucky enough to receive the offer, I would be able to go the week in Year 2 (SPARK Shadowing), where you spend a week in one of the firm's practice areas. My question is - should I attend the assessment day in the hopes of receiving an offer and then possibly deferring / asking whether I would be able to the important half of the programme? Or should I email them right away about my predicament? (The thing is, I don't want to miss out on the opportunity and have them say that I should simply reapply next year!)

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
I really don’t want to diminish anyone else’s achievements as know how hard people work, but what I find really difficult on here is when people post that they’re trying to decide between two VS offers or even being in the position to turn down one because of a clash with another.

I would kill for one VS. It’s my third cycle and I haven’t got one, yet I’ve seen people on here have multiple, then get an AC invite. I’ve seen someone on here with about 8 ACs this cycle alone.

I really don’t want to sound bitter or jealous but knowing people can seem to get a VS easily and are in the position to choose between offers while I can’t even get one after years just sucks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.