TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
this might be a silly question, but when firms ask "why did you apply to this programme/what challenges might you face during this programme", are we meant to be talking about their vacation scheme or their training contract? I'm assuming it would be the VS, but since most of them lead to TCs i can't help but feel the TC should also be addressed???

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
this might be a silly question, but when firms ask "why did you apply to this programme/what challenges might you face during this programme", are we meant to be talking about their vacation scheme or their training contract? I'm assuming it would be the VS, but since most of them lead to TCs i can't help but feel the TC should also be addressed???
I would do it for the programme you are applying to only. So if that is a VS, just focus on the challenges within the VS rather than talking about what it could be as a trainee. As they are saying “this programme”, to me talking about future opportunities would not be answering the question.

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
I really dont get Browne Jacobson. Near the end of their online assessment, it says we would like to hear more about why you chose to apply to Browne Jacobson in your own words. So I thought it was gonna be another VI. Instead there were two 500 word questions. Why include those in the online assessment instead of the application form. So frustrating

ChanA2626

Standard Member
Jan 22, 2022
Done NRF VI not long ago. Quite the nightmare that they bundle "why law - why commercial law - why NRF" all into the same question. You have to apportion your time in this question and it might feel you are taking too long to answer it, but DO NOT stop because of time just keep banging the answer out. They do not ask follow up questions.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.