Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
NRF's cover letter asks that I write about why I think I would be a good commercial solicitor and why I am applying to NRF. Should I write only about why me and why the firm or should I also address why law as with other cover letters?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
NRF's cover letter asks that I write about why I think I would be a good commercial solicitor and why I am applying to NRF. Should I write only about why me and why the firm or should I also address why law as with other cover letters?

Always follow the firm’s instructions, not general advice

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
Hi Jessica, if a firm asks "what do you think differentiates us from our competitors", is it worth mentioning who their competitors are in a specific practice area or not or can I just mention strategies the firm is taking to stand out in general? Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, if a firm asks "what do you think differentiates us from our competitors", is it worth mentioning who their competitors are in a specific practice area or not or can I just mention strategies the firm is taking to stand out in general? Thanks :)

I wouldn’t just focus on the strategies - there are different aspects/layers to potentially include in your answer.

Whether you explicitly detail competitor names won’t really matter one way or another though - really depends on how you’ve structured and written your answer

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
I wouldn’t just focus on the strategies - there are different aspects/layers to potentially include in your answer.

Whether you explicitly detail competitor names won’t really matter one way or another though - really depends on how you’ve structured and written your answer

Thank you for your quick reply Jessica! The firm is DWF and I've mentioned their decision to float on the LSE, their international expansion strategy especially as they were known for being a national firm and also their 'connected services' which offers additional services to clients. Like you said I haven't mentioned any competitor names but I have tried to point out how much each strategy makes them stand out and attract clients.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your quick reply Jessica! The firm is DWF and I've mentioned their decision to float on the LSE, their international expansion strategy especially as they were known for being a national firm and also their 'connected services' which offers additional services to clients. Like you said I haven't mentioned any competitor names but I have tried to point out how much each strategy makes them stand out and attract clients.

there will be potentially be other things fhan strategies that make them unique. The question does not suggest what makes them unique to their clients, just what makes them unique. Personally, I’d try to think broader than just their headline business strategies and think more about approaches to their work and people too.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hi Jessica,

How would you recommend broaching the subject of a criminal record on an application?

I was convicted of dr10 (drink driving essentially) and got a driving ban. It’s a long story but there were mitigating circumstances, hence I ended up with a lower ban than I should’ve received.

I’ve been approved by the SRA, having paid for the character and suitability test.

Should I go into details or just detail the conviction and punishment and explain I’ve been approved by the SRA?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

How would you recommend broaching the subject of a criminal record on an application?

I was convicted of dr10 (drink driving essentially) and got a driving ban. It’s a long story but there were mitigating circumstances, hence I ended up with a lower ban than I should’ve received.

I’ve been approved by the SRA, having paid for the character and suitability test.

Should I go into details or just detail the conviction and punishment and explain I’ve been approved by the SRA?

If they ask you to declare it, you declare it (just date, nature of offence and any details such as when your conviction was spent) but the key thing is to explain you have been cleared by the SRA to practice (that’s all they can care about legally and the only real reason they have a legitimate claim to ask the question).

If they don’t ask the question, you don’t provide the detail. You have no obligation to declare it if they don’t ask.

Reactions: Changes

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
If they ask you to declare it, you declare it (just date, nature of offence and any details such as when your conviction was spent) but the key thing is to explain you have been cleared by the SRA to practice (that’s all they can care about legally and the only real reason they have a legitimate claim to ask the question).

If they don’t ask the question, you don’t provide the detail. You have no obligation to declare it if they don’t ask.

That’s useful, thanks.

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
With a cover letter that is part of an online application form, is it fine to leave out the normal things in a cover letter such as address who you're addressing it to and yours faithfully/sincerely at the bottom?

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi Jessica

I am a graduate and currently mentoring a first year law student - would this be an extra-curricular or position of responsibility?

Specifically for this application, the firm asks for
1. "any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere"
and
2. "your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests"
as separate questions

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I feel a question people PM me about will benefit the whole group, I am now going to start anonymously posting the questions here so that everyone can benefit.

Why do some firms recruit primarily from vacation schemes but then there is an option to apply for direct TCs? Surely that means people who apply directly are at a disadvantage and in that case, shouldn’t they just scrap people from applying directly?

Because it completely makes sense to.
You can test out whether someone can actually do the job, which has a much higher chance of making the right hiring decision, compared to interviews and other assessment exercises which aren’t really “doing the job” and even if they were would only show a few hours compared to 70-210 hours.

Direct TC hires are needed as you can’t always bring in the number of interns you want for various reasons (desk space and having enough supervisors are usually the key ones!). This means once people are unsuccessful and some people also decline your offer, you still have vacancies to fill. So you have to go out to an external market.

Some firms also like going out to an external market as it means they can recruit a wider range of people - it’s known many people already in employment can’t commit to summer internships. They may also be able to hire people who have done internships with competitors who got in there early with the candidates, and so the candidates couldn’t commit to your fixed dates of the internship programme(s).

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

I am a graduate and currently mentoring a first year law student - would this be an extra-curricular or position of responsibility?

Specifically for this application, the firm asks for
1. "any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere"
and
2. "your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests"
as separate questions

Thanks

If it is a formal commitment with a designated number of hours or objectives, I’d put it as a PoR.

If it is something more informal, then I’d put it as ECs

Reactions: ZH

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
With a cover letter that is part of an online application form, is it fine to leave out the normal things in a cover letter such as address who you're addressing it to and yours faithfully/sincerely at the bottom?

I think it may depend on the firm. I accidentally did this for one firm and I still got an interview with them, but I personally wouldn't do that again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, hope you’re well:) To add to Samar’s question, should it still be 1side of A4 if it includes the address of the firm and your address? As that does take up a bit of space

yes - if you are not uploading it as a word document pdf in a letter format, I’d aim for no more than 750 words.

If an uploaded document, then make sure it is on one page.

Last edited:

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Hi Jessica, how should I approach the last part of this question: "Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does it interest you, why do you consider it to be significant and how do you think this will impact Weil’s clients?"

I've tried to go with the approach of how the story involves PE clients and what they might need Weil to do for them (practice areas) but I feel like I should try and talk about the bigger picture (market impact) or discuss the clients more specifically rather than discussing what they might need Weil to do for them.

Am I overthinking it or should I try to refocus on the clients rather than what Weil can do for them?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.