Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
@Jessica Booker Just another question Jessica - I have seen a few times now on applications where there is a specific box for 'any links to the firm'. Exactly how would you define the relationship that this should be with the person? In terms of how close do you need to be with them? For example, an associate specifically told me to put their name in this box for one application, and I know someone at another firm but probably am not as close with them as the first? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Just another question Jessica - I have seen a few times now on applications where there is a specific box for 'any links to the firm'. Exactly how would you define the relationship that this should be with the person? In terms of how close do you need to be with them? For example, an associate specifically told me to put their name in this box for one application, and I know someone at another firm but probably am not as close with them as the first? Thanks!

the person needs to be able to identify you out of a line up, have personally met you and can vouch for you on some level (eg you haven’t just met them at an event).

sometimes people tell you to list their name on forms for very selfish reasons. Some firms offer bonuses to staff for referring people who are hired

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, how should I approach the last part of this question: "Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does it interest you, why do you consider it to be significant and how do you think this will impact Weil’s clients?"

I've tried to go with the approach of how the story involves PE clients and what they might need Weil to do for them (practice areas) but I feel like I should try and talk about the bigger picture (market impact) or discuss the clients more specifically rather than discussing what they might need Weil to do for them.

Am I overthinking it or should I try to refocus on the clients rather than what Weil can do for them?

The question isn’t specifically asking you to say what they might need Weil for. I would focus on the impact it has for the client, but be clever in focusing that on matters related to Weil’s business too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Jessica, I was wondering why do some firms wait 1-3 weeks post-interview to inform a candidate that they have been rejected? I assume one reason is because they may be a borderline candidate, so they may be in the hold pile until all interviews are done.

But if this isn’t the reason, why else might there be a delay? Just curious to understand how it works. Thanks in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I was wondering why do some firms wait 1-3 weeks post-interview to inform a candidate that they have been rejected? I assume one reason is because they may be a borderline candidate, so they may be in the hold pile until all interviews are done.

But if this isn’t the reason, why else might there be a delay? Just curious to understand how it works. Thanks in advance

One possible reason is as you have suggested.

Others include:

Because they have to wait and see if other people accept/decline offers.

Because the interviewer might not have got their feedback back to the recruitment team promptly, because of work/absence.

Because they are waiting for external information such as references

Because they are waiting for sign off/confirmation of hiring numbers

Because the Grad Rec team is busy with more important matters

Because the Grad Rec team are out of the office.

Because they tried to get hold of you but you didn’t answer your phone and there was no way to leave a message.

Because your email bounced back.

Because they are trying to manage the influx of feedback requests once people have been told they are unsuccessful.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
One possible reason is as you have suggested.

Others include:

Because they have to wait and see if other people accept/decline offers.

Because the interviewer might not have got their feedback back to the recruitment team promptly, because of work/absence.

Because they are waiting for external information such as references

Because they are waiting for sign off/confirmation of hiring numbers

Because the Grad Rec team is busy with more important matters

Because the Grad Rec team are out of the office.

Because they tried to get hold of you but you didn’t answer your phone and there was no way to leave a message.

Because your email bounced back.

Because they are trying to manage the influx of feedback requests once people have been told they are unsuccessful.

This is soooo very helpful! Thank you very much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I sent an app off and it said in the portal that I received a confirmation email and can see that confirmation email in the portal but it’s not actually been sent to my junk mail or inbox. Is that common?

No - not common at all. Check your email address if correct in your application as a first step. If it is correct, it could be an issue with your email provider - for instance some university email addresses will block emails so you don’t even see it in spam folders. If the email is correct and you are not receiving emails, I’d use another email address.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have done some research but generally do you know of firms that accept a low 2:1 but all As at a-level?

I can’t advise on things like this as I don’t track the preferences of individual firms. For questions like this, I recommend posting a new thread in a forum and seeking out guidance from other people applying

ithw3064

Jan 6, 2020
Hi Jessica, apologies if this question has already been asked as I imagine it's a fairly common one!

I've been in a couple of situations in competency interviews where I've been asked a pretty specific question, e.g. 'have you ever worked with someone in a team who was not contributing as much as they should and how did you sort this out?'. I was just wondering what the best approach is when you genuinely haven't been in this quite specific situation - I've of course worked in teams, I've managed teams and dealt with conflict because of other reasons in teams, but just haven't happened to be in this exact situation and obviously don't want to lie or bend the truth. Is it best to explain that and then move the answer to a more general one about handling conflict, for example? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, apologies if this question has already been asked as I imagine it's a fairly common one!

I've been in a couple of situations in competency interviews where I've been asked a pretty specific question, e.g. 'have you ever worked with someone in a team who was not contributing as much as they should and how did you sort this out?'. I was just wondering what the best approach is when you genuinely haven't been in this quite specific situation - I've of course worked in teams, I've managed teams and dealt with conflict because of other reasons in teams, but just haven't happened to be in this exact situation and obviously don't want to lie or bend the truth. Is it best to explain that and then move the answer to a more general one about handling conflict, for example? Thanks!

you have never been in a team where you thought someone wasn’t pulling their weight?

• Haha
Reactions: A4991

Dos

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
@Jessica Booker how does offering TC's/VS work? Say if there were multiple AC's in a week, would the people who completed the first few AC's hear back, compared to the last few? Do grad rec go through each AC's one by one, irrespetive of offer or rejection?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

If a question asks about you to ‘tell us your interests, extra curricular activities and responsibilities’ but doesn’t ask you to relate it back to the firm, is it ok to talk about how they allow you to bring value to the firm? I’m not sure if that would be diverting too much from the question and therefore just wasting words.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker how does offering TC's/VS work? Say if there were multiple AC's in a week, would the people who completed the first few AC's hear back, compared to the last few? Do grad rec go through each AC's one by one, irrespetive of offer or rejection?

there isn’t one process for this - it will depend on the firm, the individual candidate, the quality of the collective candidates, and the number of places on offer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

If a question asks about you to ‘tell us your interests, extra curricular activities and responsibilities’ but doesn’t ask you to relate it back to the firm, is it ok to talk about how they allow you to bring value to the firm? I’m not sure if that would be diverting too much from the question and therefore just wasting words.

You’re welcome to do it, I just think it’s a waste of word count. The reader isn’t stupid - they can infer values and competencies from your experiences.

As “for bringing value to the firm”, I’ll be frank, any entry level recruit won’t be bringing value to the firm until they are at least 1-2 years PQE.

Reactions: Jaysen and Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    You’re welcome to do it, I just think it’s a waste of word count. The reader isn’t stupid - they can infer values and competencies from your experiences.

As “for bringing value to the firm”, I’ll be frank, any entry level recruit won’t be bringing value to the firm until they are at least 1-2 years PQE.

Thank you! I agree, any reference I try and make feels superficial to me, and consequently a waste of words. I’ll avoid it!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I have an AC coming up and I've always really struggled with competency interviews in the past. Do you have any helpful tips for preparing?

Thank you!

Teddy

Future Trainee
    Nov 10, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I'm waiting on news post AC for both Linklaters and Clifford Chance.

However, I was told by Clifford Chance I would find out the latest by last Friday. Do you think it is ok for me to email their Graduate Recruitment Team or is it best to wait?

Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.