Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Jaysen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. 8735

8735 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica

I am a graduate and currently mentoring a first year law student - would this be an extra-curricular or position of responsibility?

Specifically for this application, the firm asks for
    1. "any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere"
    and
    2. "your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests"
    as separate questions

Thanks

2. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    If I feel a question people PM me about will benefit the whole group, I am now going to start anonymously posting the questions here so that everyone can benefit.

Why do some firms recruit primarily from vacation schemes but then there is an option to apply for direct TCs? Surely that means people who apply directly are at a disadvantage and in that case, shouldn’t they just scrap people from applying directly?

Because it completely makes sense to.
    You can test out whether someone can actually do the job, which has a much higher chance of making the right hiring decision, compared to interviews and other assessment exercises which aren’t really “doing the job” and even if they were would only show a few hours compared to 70-210 hours.

Direct TC hires are needed as you can’t always bring in the number of interns you want for various reasons (desk space and having enough supervisors are usually the key ones!). This means once people are unsuccessful and some people also decline your offer, you still have vacancies to fill. So you have to go out to an external market.

Some firms also like going out to an external market as it means they can recruit a wider range of people - it’s known many people already in employment can’t commit to summer internships. They may also be able to hire people who have done internships with competitors who got in there early with the candidates, and so the candidates couldn’t commit to your fixed dates of the internship programme(s).

#802 Jessica Booker, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    If it is a formal commitment with a designated number of hours or objectives, I’d put it as a PoR.

If it is something more informal, then I’d put it as ECs

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holly

Holly Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    I think it may depend on the firm. I accidentally did this for one firm and I still got an interview with them, but I personally wouldn't do that again!

5. Samar

Samar Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    @Jessica Booker

Jessica, how many words do you think should be the maximum for a cover letter if the firm does not state the maximum?

6. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    the equivalent of a A4 page in normal font size

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ami

Ami Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, hope you’re well:) To add to Samar’s question, should it still be 1side of A4 if it includes the address of the firm and your address? As that does take up a bit of space

8. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    yes - if you are not uploading it as a word document pdf in a letter format, I’d aim for no more than 750 words.

If an uploaded document, then make sure it is on one page.

#808 Jessica Booker, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. DavidJC

DavidJC Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, how should I approach the last part of this question: "Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does it interest you, why do you consider it to be significant and how do you think this will impact Weil’s clients?"

I've tried to go with the approach of how the story involves PE clients and what they might need Weil to do for them (practice areas) but I feel like I should try and talk about the bigger picture (market impact) or discuss the clients more specifically rather than discussing what they might need Weil to do for them.

Am I overthinking it or should I try to refocus on the clients rather than what Weil can do for them?

10. Ami

Ami Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you Jessica:)

11. Samar

Samar Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    @Jessica Booker Just another question Jessica - I have seen a few times now on applications where there is a specific box for 'any links to the firm'. Exactly how would you define the relationship that this should be with the person? In terms of how close do you need to be with them? For example, an associate specifically told me to put their name in this box for one application, and I know someone at another firm but probably am not as close with them as the first? Thanks!

12. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    the person needs to be able to identify you out of a line up, have personally met you and can vouch for you on some level (eg you haven’t just met them at an event).

sometimes people tell you to list their name on forms for very selfish reasons. Some firms offer bonuses to staff for referring people who are hired

13. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    The question isn’t specifically asking you to say what they might need Weil for. I would focus on the impact it has for the client, but be clever in focusing that on matters related to Weil’s business too.

#813 Jessica Booker, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Osh

Osh Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Ahh alright, thank you

15. Holly

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, I was wondering why do some firms wait 1-3 weeks post-interview to inform a candidate that they have been rejected? I assume one reason is because they may be a borderline candidate, so they may be in the hold pile until all interviews are done.

But if this isn’t the reason, why else might there be a delay? Just curious to understand how it works. Thanks in advance

16. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    One possible reason is as you have suggested.

Others include:

Because they have to wait and see if other people accept/decline offers.

Because the interviewer might not have got their feedback back to the recruitment team promptly, because of work/absence.

Because they are waiting for external information such as references

Because they are waiting for sign off/confirmation of hiring numbers

Because the Grad Rec team is busy with more important matters

Because the Grad Rec team are out of the office.

Because they tried to get hold of you but you didn’t answer your phone and there was no way to leave a message.

Because your email bounced back.

Because they are trying to manage the influx of feedback requests once people have been told they are unsuccessful.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Holly

TCLA Credits:
    This is soooo very helpful! Thank you very much! :)

18. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I sent an app off and it said in the portal that I received a confirmation email and can see that confirmation email in the portal but it’s not actually been sent to my junk mail or inbox. Is that common?

No - not common at all. Check your email address if correct in your application as a first step. If it is correct, it could be an issue with your email provider - for instance some university email addresses will block emails so you don’t even see it in spam folders. If the email is correct and you are not receiving emails, I’d use another email address.

19. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I have done some research but generally do you know of firms that accept a low 2:1 but all As at a-level?

I can’t advise on things like this as I don’t track the preferences of individual firms. For questions like this, I recommend posting a new thread in a forum and seeking out guidance from other people applying

20. ithw3064

ithw3064 Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, apologies if this question has already been asked as I imagine it's a fairly common one!

I've been in a couple of situations in competency interviews where I've been asked a pretty specific question, e.g. 'have you ever worked with someone in a team who was not contributing as much as they should and how did you sort this out?'. I was just wondering what the best approach is when you genuinely haven't been in this quite specific situation - I've of course worked in teams, I've managed teams and dealt with conflict because of other reasons in teams, but just haven't happened to be in this exact situation and obviously don't want to lie or bend the truth. Is it best to explain that and then move the answer to a more general one about handling conflict, for example? Thanks!