Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Jaysen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Its not complicated, I understand the system. It is just whether your grades are comparable or not.

this page might give you some indication of comparative grades:

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/international/study-with-us/your-country-info/canada.aspx

2. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I wouldn’t expect the whole thing to change - that doesn’t make any sense. I would expect it to be updated, refined and where it can improved though.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Elsenat

Elsenat Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, thank you so much for this thread! I was wondering what your advice would be for this question: 'Describe a specific situation in which you have demonstrated excellence in the following skills: Commercial awareness (60)' - I'm really struggling to think of a situation where you might 'use' commercial awareness if that makes sense! The form also asks about scenarios re client focus, communication, teamwork & initiative, so I've already used the only answer I might have that vaguely relates...
    I might just be seriously overthinking this one, but any help would be amazing, thank you!

4. Matt_96

Matt_96 Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, I've recently been invited to a telephone interview with Skadden. It's supposed to focus on commercial awareness, my application, my skills and my motivations to join the firm.

I think I can talk about my motivations, skills and application form at length but what kind of questions do you think might be asked on commercial awareness? Is the most important thing to just research topics that specifically link back to the firm?

5. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Think of it as the following:

Have you ever had to make something more marketable/more profitable/more popular?

Have you ever had to strike a form of commercial agreement with someone (eg a venue for a social event/sponsorship for a society)?

Have you ever had to find cost savings on something?

Have you ever been a savy consumer who has negotiated themselves a good deal?

Have you had to do anything similar to any of the above in a work environment?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Elsenat

Elsenat Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

7. LawDudeForce

LawDudeForce Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey Jessica,

I wanted to ask.

I applied to a firm in November 27. They recruit on a rolling basis with their deadline on the January 19.

I haven't heard anything back from them and I know people who've been both rejected and invited to assessment centres.

Do you think it is worthwhile to email them and get in touch? Or should I just wait?

Thanks

8. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I would contact them given the time lag.

9. LawDudeForce

LawDudeForce Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you.

10. Blair.11

Blair.11 Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi!

I was just wondering how do I phrase my work experiences? Do I just talk about what I've learnt from it and what were my responsibilities?

11. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Depends on the context.

Normally just explaining the responsibilities is enough. Most learnings will be obvious, but you can explain if there is something slightly different/unexpected that you have learnt.

12. Isaac

Isaac Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica,
    If you had to take time off at different periods in your career because you were suffering with cancer. Where should one go about putting it? The cover letter or the mitigating circumstances section?

13. Blair.11

Blair.11 Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks! I was just curious as my work currently is very similar to a trainee and the question was phrased as to outline the role and the skills you've developed.

One more question, if there is nowhere on the application for any mitigating circumstances, can I put in under 'additional information about the degree'? Thanks so much for your help!

14. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    If there is a mitigating circumstances section, then always there.

15. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    That’s what I mean by context though. If you are asked to explain skills learnt, then you need to do so.

like 99% of the responses on here, you have to do what the firm asks. There is not a one size fits all approach to these things.

The only way I would see it appropriate to list there, is if your Ext Circs impacted your degree (ie it took longer to complete or your grades were impacted)

16. MissJ

MissJ Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica,

Could I adjust the margins on my CV or would a firm immediately dismiss my application?
    Also, would I need to list all marks on my CV or could third-year marks suffice in order to stay within the two-page limit?

Thank you

#856 MissJ, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  17. CL20

CL20 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica,

I was just wondering if the Law Society's code of conduct for recruiting trainee solicitors still applies? If someone was lucky enough to get a training contract early in the year, is it still true that the offer would not end until 15th September of their final year of university?

Thanks. :)

18. DavidJC

DavidJC Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, do you know if there's meant to be a difference if an application form asks "Why does a career in a city law firm interest you?" instead of "City law firm"?

As I understand, the former can be any city at all and be more along the lines of "why do you want to work in a city" whereas the latter would refer to the City of London.

Thanks!

19. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    how would they know you have adjusted your margins?

make sure the document is appropriately laid out. That means making sure you don’t just squeeze things in and making the page look too busy/crowded. You need to make your document easy to read. That will make the difference of your application being “dismissed” or not, but that doesn’t come down purely to margins

depends what the firm is asking for. If they want all modules then include them all. It’s fairly easy to get all modules on 2 or 3 lines if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    what is the difference? They say the same thing :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1