Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

I was just wondering how do I phrase my work experiences? Do I just talk about what I've learnt from it and what were my responsibilities?

Depends on the context.

Normally just explaining the responsibilities is enough. Most learnings will be obvious, but you can explain if there is something slightly different/unexpected that you have learnt.

Isaac

Jan 24, 2020
Hi Jessica,
If you had to take time off at different periods in your career because you were suffering with cancer. Where should one go about putting it? The cover letter or the mitigating circumstances section?

Blair.11

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2019
Depends on the context.

Normally just explaining the responsibilities is enough. Most learnings will be obvious, but you can explain if there is something slightly different/unexpected that you have learnt.

Thanks! I was just curious as my work currently is very similar to a trainee and the question was phrased as to outline the role and the skills you've developed.

One more question, if there is nowhere on the application for any mitigating circumstances, can I put in under 'additional information about the degree'? Thanks so much for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
If you had to take time off at different periods in your career because you were suffering with cancer. Where should one go about putting it? The cover letter or the mitigating circumstances section?

If there is a mitigating circumstances section, then always there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks! I was just curious as my work currently is very similar to a trainee and the question was phrased as to outline the role and the skills you've developed.

One more question, if there is nowhere on the application for any mitigating circumstances, can I put in under 'additional information about the degree'? Thanks so much for your help!

That’s what I mean by context though. If you are asked to explain skills learnt, then you need to do so.

like 99% of the responses on here, you have to do what the firm asks. There is not a one size fits all approach to these things.

The only way I would see it appropriate to list there, is if your Ext Circs impacted your degree (ie it took longer to complete or your grades were impacted)

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica,

Could I adjust the margins on my CV or would a firm immediately dismiss my application?
Also, would I need to list all marks on my CV or could third-year marks suffice in order to stay within the two-page limit?

Thank you

Last edited:

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was just wondering if the Law Society's code of conduct for recruiting trainee solicitors still applies? If someone was lucky enough to get a training contract early in the year, is it still true that the offer would not end until 15th September of their final year of university?

Thanks. :)

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Hi Jessica, do you know if there's meant to be a difference if an application form asks "Why does a career in a city law firm interest you?" instead of "City law firm"?

As I understand, the former can be any city at all and be more along the lines of "why do you want to work in a city" whereas the latter would refer to the City of London.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Could I adjust the margins on my CV or would a firm immediately dismiss my application?
Also, would I need to list all marks on my CV or could third-year marks suffice in order to stay within the two-page limit?

Thank you

how would they know you have adjusted your margins?

make sure the document is appropriately laid out. That means making sure you don’t just squeeze things in and making the page look too busy/crowded. You need to make your document easy to read. That will make the difference of your application being “dismissed” or not, but that doesn’t come down purely to margins

depends what the firm is asking for. If they want all modules then include them all. It’s fairly easy to get all modules on 2 or 3 lines if needed.

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, do you know if there's meant to be a difference if an application form asks "Why does a career in a city law firm interest you?" instead of "City law firm"?

As I understand, the former can be any city at all and be more along the lines of "why do you want to work in a city" whereas the latter would refer to the City of London.

Thanks!

what is the difference? They say the same thing :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was just wondering if the Law Society's code of conduct for recruiting trainee solicitors still applies? If someone was lucky enough to get a training contract early in the year, is it still true that the offer would not end until 15th September of their final year of university?

Thanks. :)

Yes it still applies.

Its a voluntary code though, so firms don’t have to abide by it.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
how would they know you have adjusted your margins?

make sure the document is appropriately laid out. That means making sure you don’t just squeeze things in and making the page look too busy/crowded. You need to make your document easy to read. That will make the difference of your application being “dismissed” or not, but that doesn’t come down purely to margins

depends what the firm is asking for. If they want all modules then include them all. It’s fairly easy to get all modules on 2 or 3 lines if needed.
Thank you Jessica :)

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019

I have a question regarding the A-level section. I did not complete my A-level examinations in the UK. Shall I then use the below section as it would amount to an equivalent qualification?

International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers and Other A-level Equivalent Examinations

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I have a question regarding the A-level section. I did not complete my A-level examinations in the UK. Shall I then use the below section as it would amount to an equivalent qualification?

International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers and Other A-level Equivalent Examinations

Yes. Put the grades as you know them. If you know what the equivalent to a-levels is (formal translation) then include that too

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

When including undergraduate Law grades on my CV, should I exclude the optional modules? If I was to include all grades it would amount to 14 in total.

Thank you

no - you should include all modules.

a lot of degree will have 12-24 modules across three years, so 14 is not really a high number.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica :)

Also, since Im currently in the process of completing the LPC and have already completed my LLM would you suggest I include all modules I've been examined on for both as well?

yes - where you have completed modules, I would list them.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.