Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica, I am currently finalising an application and one of the questions is 'What do you wish you had invented and why?' I have previously done volunteering in a mental health capacity and mental well being is really important to me and I wanted to put down the app called better help i.e online counselling-and explain my reasons, i.e. mental wellness increases positivity, and due to the fact that its online its easily accessible for people who work long hours and can't take the time out of the day per se to proactively seek help etc etc. Or is this far too controversial?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am currently finalising an application and one of the questions is 'What do you wish you had invented and why?' I have previously done volunteering in a mental health capacity and mental well being is really important to me and I wanted to put down the app called better help i.e online counselling-and explain my reasons, i.e. mental wellness increases positivity, and due to the fact that its online its easily accessible for people who work long hours and can't take the time out of the day per se to proactively seek help etc etc. Or is this far too controversial?

Not controversial in any sense

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Not controversial in any sense
Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was something that I could express my opinion on, but I will do. In terms of why I selected them is it acceptable to discuss their association with charitable organisations, or should I relate it to their expertise which is private client? I only have 60 words, so theres not much scope to go into detail.

Reactions: Nospmas

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was something that I could express my opinion on, but I will do. In terms of why I selected them is it acceptable to discuss their association with charitable organisations, or should I relate it to their expertise which is private client? I only have 60 words, so theres not much scope to go into detail.

unless the firm has a very strong client base made up of charitable clients and you have significant periods of your work are likely to be working with them, I’d avoid playing on this too heavily. As you said “associations” and not clients I suspect this won’t be part of your day job

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
unless the firm has a very strong client base made up of charitable clients and you have significant periods of your work are likely to be working with them, I’d avoid playing on this too heavily. As you said “associations” and not clients I suspect this won’t be part of your day job

Its Withers. I've researched the firm in terms of their private client work.Also Im particularly interested in their family law sector however, I'm just struggling to find an approach with a 60 word limit, could you recommend any particular structure for answering this please?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Its Withers. I've researched the firm in terms of their private client work.Also Im particularly interested in their family law sector however, I'm just struggling to find an approach with a 60 word limit, could you recommend any particular structure for answering this please?

If it is only 60 words, don't over think it and just be super concise.

HH

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
Hi Jessica, would a part time job count as an extracurricular? If I'm not at university (full-time course), I'm almost always at work so I don't really have any hobbies that can be quantified e.g organising events for societies etc. However, my job (where I plan, prepare, and deliver events) does allow me some level of creative freedom which has let me weave in my personal interests into some events.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, would a part time job count as an extracurricular? If I'm not at university (full-time course), I'm almost always at work so I don't really have any hobbies that can be quantified e.g organising events for societies etc. However, my job (where I plan, prepare, and deliver events) does allow me some level of creative freedom which has let me weave in my personal interests into some events.

no - that’s work experience

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica, if I need to submit a cv to some firms would I need to specify the name of the firm in my profile on the cv or can I just leave it as it is? It specifies that I’m seeking a legal vacation scheme

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, if I need to submit a cv to some firms would I need to specify the name of the firm in my profile on the cv or can I just leave it as it is? It specifies that I’m seeking a legal vacation scheme

you don’t need a profile on your CV if you are applying with a cover letter or as part of an application

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Will graduate recruiters care for a profile and having a core competencies section on my CV? I also listed the skills I gained from my degree but would a recruiter just assume these skills would already be a given as all graduates would have the same?

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In a competency question such as describe a significant challenge, is it fine to mention e.g. being overwhelmed by events in your personal life that interfere with work life? A sudden illness of a family member for example at a time of significant work pressure as well, that requires you to keep it together. Or is it better to avoid such answers as maybe the overall negative aspect of the story indirectly affects the mood of the interview?

Thank you :).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Will graduate recruiters care for a profile and having a core competencies section on my CV? I also listed the skills I gained from my degree but would a recruiter just assume these skills would already be a given as all graduates would have the same?

depends on the individual’s preferences (there isn’t a standard unfortunately)

personally I don’t see the value in a personal profile if it is part of a wider application.

I generally don’t like a “competencies” section either as typically they are just fluff rather than specific evidence. I’d rather just see the evidence

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In a competency question such as describe a significant challenge, is it fine to mention e.g. being overwhelmed by events in your personal life that interfere with work life? A sudden illness of a family member for example at a time of significant work pressure as well, that requires you to keep it together. Or is it better to avoid such answers as maybe the overall negative aspect of the story indirectly affects the mood of the interview?

Thank you :).

Personally I’d suggest trying to focus on something more “positive” but I have seen it work in applications/interviews, so not an issue of you think it’s your best example.

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
depends on the individual’s preferences (there isn’t a standard unfortunately)

personally I don’t see the value in a personal profile if it is part of a wider application.

I generally don’t like a “competencies” section either as typically they are just fluff rather than specific evidence. I’d rather just see the evidence

What do you mean by a wider application? As in if there’s more to the application process than solely a cv?

In terms of evidence I just add the grades, work experience and personal achievements , I’ve not heard of using examples in cv’s so I assume I can’t add any. I just have brief bullet points about my work experience and voluntary work.

I guess the expanding on university skill is pointless as we all have the same?

Is there something specific I should be doing in my cv that I’m not already?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.