Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Hi all, I have been invited to an assessment day with Kirkland & Ellis for their vacation scheme. I was wondering whether anyone had been to one of their assessment days before and what the day was like i.e. the structure/ general experience etc, and if you have any tips? Thanks!

• 🏆
Reactions: J32, M777 and Daniel Boden

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Congratulations! I also have an AC coming up and would appreciate any advice!
Hi all, I have been invited to an assessment day with Kirkland & Ellis for their vacation scheme. I was wondering whether anyone had been to one of their assessment days before and what the day was like i.e. the structure/ general experience etc, and if you have any tips? Thanks!

• 🏆
Reactions: Zoo, J32 and M777

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

So from what I have gathered, here's the general structure for the day:

1) Group Exercise

Nothing to prep for. Everyone is around a table and you each have 60 seconds to pitch a character or something. Then as a group you decide which character is best. Just make sure you add as much structure as you can to your answer - the 60 seconds goes by real quick. Then the group discussion is about being vocal but just not coming across overly dominant. Overall quite fun and straightforward - no stress!

2) Talk with Stephen Lucas

Stephen is a senior lawyer in the banking team and is one hell of a character! He delivers a talk to the group and is really open and honest about what the firm is like. There is an opportunity to ask questions at the end and it's super important that you ask good Qs. Just try and prep a couple of things that show that you have done some research. He also likes to ask where else you have done schemes/had offers from so mention those there.

3) In-Tray Exercise

This is really simple. You're given a list of around 10 tasks that you have put in order of priority. Then explain why you would prioritise in the order you have given during your partner interview.

4) Partner Interview

This varies massively. It's 30mins with a partner but the partners' interview style varies significantly. Nobody had a horror show. The only technical stuff people got asked was a follow up if they mentioned it in their answers. E.g. if someone said I like PE, they might have been asked what's PE or what is it about being a PE lawyer that's interesting. I personally had nothing technical across the whole day. This interview tends to be relaxed in the sense that they're just wanting to get to know you and why K&E. There is no case study or anything of that sort. K&E is quite distinct so it's important that you demonstrate an understanding of that, and tie that back to why it suits you.

5) Written Exercise

This is a written cover letter where you basically write a letter to graduate recruitment explaining why you have applied to Kirkland. No need to stray far from what you wrote in your application form.

Hope this helps!

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018
    Hi guys,

So from what I have gathered, here's the general structure for the day:

1) Group Exercise

Nothing to prep for. Everyone is around a table and you each have 60 seconds to pitch a character or something. Then as a group you decide which character is best. Just make sure you add as much structure as you can to your answer - the 60 seconds goes by real quick. Then the group discussion is about being vocal but just not coming across overly dominant. Overall quite fun and straightforward - no stress!

2) Talk with Stephen Lucas

Stephen is a senior lawyer in the banking team and is one hell of a character! He delivers a talk to the group and is really open and honest about what the firm is like. There is an opportunity to ask questions at the end and it's super important that you ask good Qs. Just try and prep a couple of things that show that you have done some research. He also likes to ask where else you have done schemes/had offers from so mention those there.

3) In-Tray Exercise

This is really simple. You're given a list of around 10 tasks that you have put in order of priority. Then explain why you would prioritise in the order you have given during your partner interview.

4) Partner Interview

This varies massively. It's 30mins with a partner but the partners' interview style varies significantly. Nobody had a horror show. The only technical stuff people got asked was a follow up if they mentioned it in their answers. E.g. if someone said I like PE, they might have been asked what's PE or what is it about being a PE lawyer that's interesting. I personally had nothing technical across the whole day. This interview tends to be relaxed in the sense that they're just wanting to get to know you and why K&E. There is no case study or anything of that sort. K&E is quite distinct so it's important that you demonstrate an understanding of that, and tie that back to why it suits you.

5) Written Exercise

This is a written cover letter where you basically write a letter to graduate recruitment explaining why you have applied to Kirkland. No need to stray far from what you wrote in your application form.

Hope this helps!

This is amazing! For the second point, it's recommended that we mention schemes/TC offers whilst in a group with other candidates? Has anyone had experience with that kind of thing before, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to open the conversation of being unsuccessful post VS

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    This is amazing! For the second point, it's recommended that we mention schemes/TC offers whilst in a group with other candidates? Has anyone had experience with that kind of thing before, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to open the conversation of being unsuccessful post VS
    I think it means that if you're asked about it then by all means mention it, but I don't think you need to open with it. For instance, if you're asked where else are you applying, you could say 'Based on my experience at Weil doing a summer vacation scheme last year, I am applying to other firms who are highly-regarded in the private equity sphere e.g. Kirkland, Latham, Ropes & Gray etc.' something like that I'd imagine. I'd be surprised if he went around the room asking everyone but you never know!

• Haha
    Reactions: Demna87

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018
    I think it means that if you're asked about it then by all means mention it, but I don't think you need to open with it. For instance, if you're asked where else are you applying, you could say 'Based on my experience at Weil doing a summer vacation scheme last year, I am applying to other firms who are highly-regarded in the private equity sphere e.g. Kirkland, Latham, Ropes & Gray etc.' something like that I'd imagine. I'd be surprised if he went around the room asking everyone but you never know!

Yeah that scenario would be awkward. Your example sounds good though, a good way to get it in that you have that experience without it being out of place. Thank you!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.