Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    The HR interview is CV based plus standard competency based questions, but they will all be directly linked to their values. Definitely be prepared for there to be follow up questions on everything you say. Don’t try to memorise your answers, they are big on personality so you want to come across as genuine.

For the first bit of the case study make sure you don’t lose track of time. You only have half an hour to do the whole thing, so read it all carefully but do it quickly! The intray exercise took me less than 5 min, so don’t rush it!

For the second part of the case study and the partner interview really make sure you brush up on your technicals and I can’t stress enough how important commercial awareness is. They genuinely want you to do well and will try to help you find the right answer. Do not bring something up during your case study you are not comfortable talking about in the partner interview. There are lots of things to choose from, so go for the things you’re most familiar with.

Both my interviews also ran over. HR was 55 min instead of 45 and my partner interview was 90 min instead of 45.

honestly, the most important thing is to be authentic and don’t try to be who you think they would want you to be. Everyone was super friendly and it was my very first AC and I walked away thinking that I had genuinely enjoyed the day! The fact that you were invited means they think you could be the right person for them - good luck!

Thank you for the advice!!

Reactions: AH9891

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
    Dec 29, 2019
    Just thought I would put this out here, but Apply4Law will have some maintenance this weekend just so people know.

upload_2020-1-23_22-32-53.png

Also, does anyone have tips for "why the firm" and "why law/commercial law" in HL's application questions? I've answered all four questions with honest experiences but I can't seem to really tie them into those questions, and there's a strong interrelation between those two aspects for me personally.

Reactions: Eva

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    @Daniel Boden @Alice G

Can you please look into the user @A4991 - this individual seems like a troll to me. He’s claimed to have received so many offers and AC invites. However, he contradicts himself, if looking back at previous messages. I don’t know what his problem is tbh!
    Can you PM why you think this? I haven't seen any evidence of this myself...

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Can you PM why you think this? I haven't seen any evidence of this myself...
    @Daniel Boden @Alice G

Can you please look into the user @A4991 - this individual seems like a troll to me. He’s claimed to have received so many offers and AC invites. However, he contradicts himself, if looking back at previous messages. I don’t know what his problem is tbh!

I would request the same as Dan too. I’m intent on trying to keep the forum as supportive as possible and try to do so in good faith but I will always take concerns seriously. It just helps to have insight. @Jaysen will no doubt want to hear so feel free to share your thoughts In a chat with us three

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
    Oct 26, 2019
    I am speaking purely on the perspective of myself being a non-law student.

I think even though they say that the AC's or case studies are suppose to accommodate non-law students, I think you are still suppose to know the basics of contract law and an M&A deal. Luckily I found this out after attending a few practise ACs and mock interviews before ACs and interviews. People may disagree with me but I really do believe this extra knowledge does highlight the strong candidates and shows to the firm you have done your reading and research. Having that extra legal knowledge isn't too difficult and is key if you really want to start off strong on a vacation scheme, especially if you are sitting in a busy seat and people do not have the time to explain things to you or just assume you already know what they are talking about.

I know it's tough being a non-law student, it look me a good couple of weeks last summer to master the basics of contract law and the structure of a deal. I would highly recommend setting some time aside to get to grips with the basics. There are plenty of resources online. Getting to grips with these allowed me to go into my interviews with confidence and I was able to go above and beyond the case studies in more detail. I remember my interviewer at the end commenting on how impressed he was with my knowledge of contract law despite my non-law background.

Nearly all ACs and top firms will include some aspects of these within an AC. Even if they don't it's good to know these things and you will be able to impress associates/partners with your extra knowledge whether that be in an AC, interview or on the vacation scheme itself.

Good Luck :)
    Thank you for the insight, could you suggest some places to go to learn the fundamentals? Any sites/videos you used in particular? I refuse to let ACs go badly if all it takes is a couple weeks work!

Reactions: AH9891 and Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.