Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
Hi Jessica,

If offered a spot on a scheme with dates that don't work, is there scope for asking for some kind of alternative?

I know this is a long-shot. I applied for a scheme that did not publish dates and was only given confirmation of dates upon receiving the offer. I can't work full time for part of it because it conflicts with my international student visa.

Any advice on how to approach this? I will obviously be in touch with GR about this immediately and make them aware of the issue. I was just wondering if it's a SOL situation or whether I can hold out hope for some movement. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will surely be doing just that.

Many thanks for all your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

If offered a spot on a scheme with dates that don't work, is there scope for asking for some kind of alternative?

I know this is a long-shot. I applied for a scheme that did not publish dates and was only given confirmation of dates upon receiving the offer. I can't work full time for part of it because it conflicts with my international student visa.

Any advice on how to approach this? I will obviously be in touch with GR about this immediately and make them aware of the issue. I was just wondering if it's a SOL situation or whether I can hold out hope for some movement. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will surely be doing just that.

Many thanks for all your help.

SOL? Not sure what that means...

There is no approach in these situations, you just need to speak to the firm about it. It won't be the first time they have had this issue - I would try to call them rather than email.

There will be one of several outcomes:

1) The firm will move the dates for you (possible, but difficult)
2) You can ask you university as to whether they can provide an exemption letter allowing you to work
3) Neither of the above is possible, and you have to turn down the offer. If this is the case, ask to be transferred to a training contract application. You are unlikely to get an offer, but it might mean you don't have to go through the whole recruitment process again.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Aurochschiette

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
SOL? Not sure what that means...

There is no approach in these situations, you just need to speak to the firm about it. It won't be the first time they have had this issue - I would try to call them rather than email.

There will be one of several outcomes:

1) The firm will move the dates for you (possible, but difficult)
2) You can ask you university as to whether they can provide an exemption letter allowing you to work
3) Neither of the above is possible, and you have to turn down the offer. If this is the case, ask to be transferred to a training contract application. You are unlikely to get an offer, but it might mean you don't have to go through the whole recruitment process again.

SOL = sh*t outta luck ;)

I appreciate your guidance though. I will be calling first thing tomorrow to see what's possible. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
SOL = sh*t outta luck ;)

I appreciate your guidance though. I will be calling first thing tomorrow to see what's possible. Thank you!

:D

I'm clearly getting old.... I'll be adding that to my repertoire...

There is no harm in asking what flexibility they can offer - the recruitment teams have these conversations all the time. The worst they can say is there is no flexibility, which is no worse than where you are now anyway.

L197

Jan 31, 2020
When answering a question on why this law firm, after referring to them by their name, what is the proper way to refer to them? e.g. would I say I am applying to .... because "they" have excellent ... or because "you" have excellent ... ?
sorry I hope that makes sense!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When answering a question on why this law firm, after referring to them by their name, what is the proper way to refer to them? e.g. would I say I am applying to .... because "they" have excellent ... or because "you" have excellent ... ?
sorry I hope that makes sense!

I’d personally either continue using the firm name or refer to “them” as the firm, rather than “you” or “they”.

But again, this isn’t going to make any difference on your application really

Last edited:

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well.

I have an interview for a summer vac scheme coming up in which I've been told I'll be asked a mixture of competency and technical questions. Graduate recruitment told me that since I am not a law student, these questions won't be directly related to law, but they will still ask me business-related technical questions. I will be interviewed by one member of graduate recruitment and two associates. Do you have any idea of what kind of questions I can expect and how best I can prepare for these? This will actually be my first ever interview, since this is my first cycle of applications.

Many thanks in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well.

I have an interview for a summer vac scheme coming up in which I've been told I'll be asked a mixture of competency and technical questions. Graduate recruitment told me that since I am not a law student, these questions won't be directly related to law, but they will still ask me business-related technical questions. I will be interviewed by one member of graduate recruitment and two associates. Do you have any idea of what kind of questions I can expect and how best I can prepare for these? This will actually be my first ever interview, since this is my first cycle of applications.

Many thanks in advance

Unfortunately not - it’s really difficult to give advice on these things without knowing more specifics, eg like the firm in question, and even then I might not be able to help!

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I was an international student studying law in the UK and now I'm back home.

I will be coming to London for an A.C. later this month and I'm waiting on three firms to get back to me. Do you think it would be acceptable to send them an email asking if they can make a decision on my application in the next couple weeks (if possible)? Or should i just wait? Reason being that it is very costly for me to travel to the UK so it would be great to have my ACs around the same time.

Thanks.

Best,
Brandon

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
Hi Jessica,

First of all thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of these questions!

I just had three queries:
1. Several firms require that you provide module breakdowns even if you're applying for a first-year scheme. Now, as it happens, I don't have any formal grades yet (since I'm in first year), but I did get a lot of firsts in my formative exams. Do you think I could perhaps mention that? So instead of entering NA into the "result" box, could I enter NA but then include in the brackets that I got a first in the formative exam for that subject? Should I just leave it as NA and not include the extra bracket?

2. In terms of work experience, what should I include? I've heard some grad rec people recommend putting open days and the sort on there. Thus far I've just included open days and conferences that I've applied for and successfully got into. Should I include this in future applications or not? Where would you say is the boundary? I've applied to some other competitive events, but some of them only lasted a few hours, so I'm very reticent to include those.

3. This is a bit of a specific one that I'm not sure you can really answer, as it pertains to one particular firm (Latham & Watkins), but I'm assuming all grad rec approach things from a similar angle. In a first-year open day application, they basically asked me to provide two referees. One academic (which I have) and one "previous or current" employer. Unfortunately, I've never been in an employment relationship nor done informal work experience. I have an extensive extracurricular record, but no work experience. In the boxes where they asked me to provide this referee I just put NA. I'm a bit concerned that this will sink my application. The deadline for this application has already passed and I have already submitted the application. Did I do the right thing here or is this a damning factor?

Thanks again, I hope my questions aren't too long or cumbersome!

Kind regards,

B

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes - I think that is fine.

just explain you have a limited window in the U.K. and that if your application is successful it would be incredibly convenient for any face to face assessments to be conducted while you are here, if they can provide that flexibility with timings and decisions.

keep the email as brief/concise as you can!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

First of all thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of these questions!

I just had three queries:
1. Several firms require that you provide module breakdowns even if you're applying for a first-year scheme. Now, as it happens, I don't have any formal grades yet (since I'm in first year), but I did get a lot of firsts in my formative exams. Do you think I could perhaps mention that? So instead of entering NA into the "result" box, could I enter NA but then include in the brackets that I got a first in the formative exam for that subject? Should I just leave it as NA and not include the extra bracket?

2. In terms of work experience, what should I include? I've heard some grad rec people recommend putting open days and the sort on there. Thus far I've just included open days and conferences that I've applied for and successfully got into. Should I include this in future applications or not? Where would you say is the boundary? I've applied to some other competitive events, but some of them only lasted a few hours, so I'm very reticent to include those.

3. This is a bit of a specific one that I'm not sure you can really answer, as it pertains to one particular firm (Latham & Watkins), but I'm assuming all grad rec approach things from a similar angle. In a first-year open day application, they basically asked me to provide two referees. One academic (which I have) and one "previous or current" employer. Unfortunately, I've never been in an employment relationship nor done informal work experience. I have an extensive extracurricular record, but no work experience. In the boxes where they asked me to provide this referee I just put NA. I'm a bit concerned that this will sink my application. The deadline for this application has already passed and I have already submitted the application. Did I do the right thing here or is this a damning factor?

Thanks again, I hope my questions aren't too long or cumbersome!

Kind regards,

B

1) Yes - your first year grades/marks may not count for your degree, but they count for law firms. You’ll need to provide any grades you have achieved for completed modules. If you don’t have any yet, instead of N/A you should try to provide something like TBC - June 2020 or something like that to show you will get some form of marks at the end of the academic year.

2) anything. Part time work, volunteer work, open days, internships, self/employment. Any work experience. To me an event is not employment though, so personally I would t include this.

3) yes - unfortunately it could be an issue. It would have been better to provide another form of referee (personal/academic) if you have absolutely no work experience.

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Yes - I think that is fine.

just explain you have a limited window in the U.K. and that if your application is successful it would be incredibly convenient for any face to face assessments to be conducted while you are here, if they can provide that flexibility with timings and decisions.

keep the email as brief/concise as you can!
Thanks Jessica!

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
Hello! I'm an applicant from Bosnia (international student). I've sat the GDL and will complete the LPC (self-funded) this summer. I'm currently looking for any paralegal opportunities in the UK at commercial law firms, large companies, etc. for the period after I finish the LPC (i.e. August onwards). I won't be applying as someone who isn't resident in the UK (which, from what I can understand, is important).

I was wondering if, in your experience, it is possible for internationals to get paralegal jobs in the UK. Are there any visa issues? Do employers, in practice, even consider internationals when they have lots of UK/EU LPC graduates applying to these positions? I'm just trying to get a foothold in the UK before I have to leave due to my visa expiring

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! I'm an applicant from Bosnia (international student). I've sat the GDL and will complete the LPC (self-funded) this summer. I'm currently looking for any paralegal opportunities in the UK at commercial law firms, large companies, etc. for the period after I finish the LPC (i.e. August onwards). I won't be applying as someone who isn't resident in the UK (which, from what I can understand, is important).

I was wondering if, in your experience, it is possible for internationals to get paralegal jobs in the UK. Are there any visa issues? Do employers, in practice, even consider internationals when they have lots of UK/EU LPC graduates applying to these positions? I'm just trying to get a foothold in the UK before I have to leave due to my visa expiring

Thank you

visas are very tricky for paralegal roles. It would be difficult given the salary requirements for a visa, but even if you did get over that hurdle, then passing a RLMT to get the visa would also be almost impossible for the majority of paralegal roles.

there are exceptions though. Typically if you have specific knowledge/skills that won’t be found in the general population, your chances of getting a visa are better - eg fluency in languages, knowledge of specific non U.K. jurisdictions, technical skills etc. So I would always advise people to look for paralegal roles where they are looking for fluency in your native (or other fluent) languages.

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
visas are very tricky for paralegal roles. It would be difficult given the salary requirements for a visa, but even if you did get over that hurdle, then passing a RLMT to get the visa would also be almost impossible for the majority of paralegal roles.

there are exceptions though. Typically if you have specific knowledge/skills that won’t be found in the general population, your chances of getting a visa are better - eg fluency in languages, knowledge of specific non U.K. jurisdictions, technical skills etc. So I would always advise people to look for paralegal roles where they are looking for fluency in your native (or other fluent) languages.
Thank you for your reply and help :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I would like to ask whether my unspectacular first year results( average of 2:2 but with a couple of firsts) will prevent me to land a TC in the City?

Putting this into context:
I achieved such a low overall grade mainly because I was working full time to pay for my education as I am an EU student and therefore I don't receive a student loan. However I am aware that this does not count as mitigating circumstances.
At the moment I am a final year language student on target of achieving a solid first degree in a Russell Group University. I have marks from last year as high as 92 .
Do you think that City law firms will spot my improvement or they are definitely looking for "a strong academic record" ?

Thank you in advance!

They are mitigating circumstances but working full time and studying full time will be looked upon favourably if you explain that.

What are your second year grades like?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your reply!

Second year grades: 64,66,67,70,79,92
However first year(as miserable as): 44, 47, 55, 70, 75, 30, 59
Final year grades(prediction): 4 firsts and 2x 2:1.

I know it is bad.

Some more context : I was originally doing Arabic and Chinese than I realized that I can't afford the mandatory year abroad and procede to do only Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies which I enjoyed much more. However now it looks like I just got bad marks in Chinese and I dropped it. (Unfortunately the main reason to drop it was the lack of financial funds.)

I don't know how to show my drive and potential without looking like bunch of excuses.

I wouldn’t see the dropping Chinese as an issue. There’s loads of people who apply who change degrees in their first year.

I’d just focus on the fact you were balancing full time work and studies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

What are some of the ways that grad recruitment handle the volume of applications they receive? For example, is it really just a case of going through them in date order, or do some ‘group’ them into yes/no/maybes and then send out invites to the next stage in batches?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.