Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Hi Jessica, I was wondering what your major tips for video interviews are? I know there are a lot of tips online but even with following them I find VI's a bit hit/miss. Would definitely appreciate some advice. Thanks and have a good weekend!

Reactions: wwood

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I was wondering what your major tips for video interviews are? I know there are a lot of tips online but even with following them I find VI's a bit hit/miss. Would definitely appreciate some advice. Thanks and have a good weekend!

Attachments

• Video interview - tips.pdf
    300.5 KB · Views: 58

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Attachments

• JLL video interview.jpg
    JLL video interview.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen

SaulGoodman

Jul 12, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was invited to do a video interview on Friday the 20th and was told I have a week to do it. I emailed graduate recruitment to check if I had until midnight on Friday 27th, as I want ample time to prepare and I also have 3 LPC exams between now and then; one tomorrow, one Wednesday and one on Friday. I also asked if I would be put at a disadvantage for submitting my interview later than other candidates might.

The graduate recruiter said I did have until midnight on Friday the 27th but didn't respond to my query about being at a disadvantage.

I have just received an email from the firm, that looks like an automated generic mailout, reminding me to complete the video interview as soon as possible. In the body of that e-mail it says "Don't forget - completing the interview quickly will give you a better chance of being selected."

In light of this reminder, should I send another email to graduate recruitment explaining the situation with my exams? The earliest I can realistically submit my interview is Wednesday evening / Thursday morning. In your experience would you take my circumstances into consideration or is it tough luck as they have so many candidates to interview? I did also send my original application to the firm on its deadline day.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was invited to do a video interview on Friday the 20th and was told I have a week to do it. I emailed graduate recruitment to check if I had until midnight on Friday 27th, as I want ample time to prepare and I also have 3 LPC exams between now and then; one tomorrow, one Wednesday and one on Friday. I also asked if I would be put at a disadvantage for submitting my interview later than other candidates might.

The graduate recruiter said I did have until midnight on Friday the 27th but didn't respond to my query about being at a disadvantage.

I have just received an email from the firm, that looks like an automated generic mailout, reminding me to complete the video interview as soon as possible. In the body of that e-mail it says "Don't forget - completing the interview quickly will give you a better chance of being selected."

In light of this reminder, should I send another email to graduate recruitment explaining the situation with my exams? The earliest I can realistically submit my interview is Wednesday evening / Thursday morning. In your experience would you take my circumstances into consideration or is it tough luck as they have so many candidates to interview? I did also send my original application to the firm on its deadline day.

Any help would be much appreciated!

no need to email.

just complete it when you can within the deadline

they are unlikely to take your exams into consideration unfortunately. You will just need to complete it within the deadline.

• ℹ️
Reactions: SaulGoodman

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Hi Jessica,

Hope all is well. I have an upcoming this week. It comprises a written exercise, a group exercise and an interview.

Since this is my first AC, I am not entirely sure what to expect. Would you be able to offer any tips on how to best prepare for the written exercise and group exercise? Perhaps any good online resources that I can use to prepare.

Thanks,
Brandon

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) think of it as an assessment rather than a group work task.

2) portray themselves in a manner they think they should rather than how they would normally act

3) forget the objectives of the task

4) try too hard (linked to 1 & 2)

5) forget to use other team members for support

basically there is a lot of rubbish advice out there about group tasks try at make people act in very specific ways. You can see right through it and it comes across as very unnatural. Step away from the advice blogs/articles that tell you how to do well in them and just think about the task itself. Too many people put their efforts into “acting” out the group exercise, that they forget the actual exercise.

advice for group exercises above. These were all things that were things to avoid doing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s still difficult to give advice on a written exercise without knowing more about it’s particular structure. What they will be looking for though is:

Accuracy
Attention to detail
Conciseness
Structure
Appropriate tone (ie knowing your audience/the piece of writing’s audience)
Purpose

Last edited:

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

Is it possible to accept a VS offer first and if it clashes with others, try to move it around or inform them that I could no longer attend? Would love advice on how best to approach.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

Is it possible to accept a VS offer first and if it clashes with others, try to move it around or inform them that I could no longer attend? Would love advice on how best to approach.

yes possible. Happens all the time. Just call the firm to discuss the options and be prepared to turn it down.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just a quick note to say I can’t review individual applications on here - just given the volume of requests, how long it takes to review and my other work commitments, it isn’t something I have capacity to help with unfortunately

Edersa

Feb 26, 2020
    Hi Jess,

If I failed a skills module that does not form a graded part of my LPC am i still eligible to start my training contract in a couple weeks time before my resit date?

I lost my TC on the basis that the firm told me I could not, but I have now been told that I could have, and wish to bring this point to my firm. However, I am asking if possible can you point me to the relevant SRA regulations as I cannot find them myself.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica, is it acceptable to ask for an update on the status of my application, that’s post application, a month after applying? (via email)?

Lauren2

Valued Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I was just wondering whether you had any advice on the following - I've been invited for an AC today, but I'm away for all of the dates provided. Is it worthwhile asking whether I can have my application transferred to the direct TC route/ is there any real possibility of this happening and how would be best to approach it? I appreciate that the answer may be an outright no, but I'm really interested in this firm and the prospect of training there.

Thank you!

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    I keep getting email reminders re: a video interview and they’re saying I need to complete it before the deadline to increase my chances. The issue is I am away on a work trip so am planning to complete it at the weekend. Is it worth sending HR an email to let them know?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess,

If I failed a skills module that does not form a graded part of my LPC am i still eligible to start my training contract in a couple weeks time before my resit date?

I lost my TC on the basis that the firm told me I could not, but I have now been told that I could have, and wish to bring this point to my firm. However, I am asking if possible can you point me to the relevant SRA regulations as I cannot find them myself.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

It won’t necessarily be down to the SRA. If the firm have a policy of you needing to pass the LPC on first sitting, they can withdraw your offer - you need to check your contract/offer letter

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.