Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

trident

Feb 26, 2020
Hi Jessica

I got a 2:1 overall but 2:2s in a few modules due to anxiety. I have doctor's evidence etc. Do you think I should declare my anxiety in the mitigating circumstances fields for applications? I don't want recruiters to think that I can't perform in adverse conditions.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was just wondering whether you had any advice on the following - I've been invited for an AC today, but I'm away for all of the dates provided. Is it worthwhile asking whether I can have my application transferred to the direct TC route/ is there any real possibility of this happening and how would be best to approach it? I appreciate that the answer may be an outright no, but I'm really interested in this firm and the prospect of training there.

Thank you!

no harm in asking whether they can do any of the following:
  • Offer another interview date
  • Transfer the application to a different vacancy
They can only say no.

just email or call to ask.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

I got a 2:1 overall but 2:2s in a few modules due to anxiety. I have doctor's evidence etc. Do you think I should declare my anxiety in the mitigating circumstances fields for applications? I don't want recruiters to think that I can't perform in adverse conditions.

Thanks!

you can just explain their are medical reasons relating to the extenuating circumstances and that medical evidence can be provided. Potentially seek out an academic reference too (rather than a doctors note)

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica, Im applying for Shoosmiths and one of the questions is quite difficult and I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on how I can approach it?

“In a competitive legal market, how do you think Shoosmiths can remain successful and attractive to clients in 2020 and beyond without compromising on profitability?

There are many complex issues which may feed into this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities.”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, Im applying for Shoosmiths and one of the questions is quite difficult and I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on how I can approach it?

“In a competitive legal market, how do you think Shoosmiths can remain successful and attractive to clients in 2020 and beyond without compromising on profitability?

There are many complex issues which may feed into this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities.”

How would you approach it at the moment?

AMAN INANI

Standard Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I am a practicing lawyer in India and I have cleared my MCT exam under QLTS Scheme. I also got LLM offer from the UK university.
So with this aforesaid qualification, after my LLM can I apply and get a training contract before clearing my OSCE exam?

Regards
Aman Inani

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am a practicing lawyer in India and I have cleared my MCT exam under QLTS Scheme. I also got LLM offer from the UK university.
So with this aforesaid qualification, after my LLM can I apply and get a training contract before clearing my OSCE exam?

Regards
Aman Inani

Hi Aman,

If you pass the QLTS, then a training contract would not be an appropriate programme for you.

This may change with the SQE though.

Regards

Jess

AMAN INANI

Standard Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi Aman,

If you pass the QLTS, then a training contract would not be an appropriate programme for you.

This may change with the SQE though.

Regards

Jess

But as far as my knowledge goes, SRA board is planning to introduce the SQE in autumn 2021 and after the introduction of SQE, the OSCE will continue to be available for one year for those QLTS candidates who have taken and passed the MCT prior to the SQE introduction date.
And in my situation I have already passed MCT exam. So technically I have time till 2022 to pass the OSCE exam.
Thence, my question is again the same, that is it possible to apply and get training contract before passing OSCE exam, for instance, in 2021 after completing my LLM?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
But as far as my knowledge goes, SRA board is planning to introduce the SQE in autumn 2021 and after the introduction of SQE, the OSCE will continue to be available for one year for those QLTS candidates who have taken and passed the MCT prior to the SQE introduction date.
And in my situation I have already passed MCT exam. So technically I have time till 2022 to pass the OSCE exam.
Thence, my question is again the same, that is it possible to apply and get training contract before passing OSCE exam, for instance, in 2021 after completing my LLM?

You need to speak to each firm you want to apply to. This is not straight forward given you have started the QLTS.

For instance you would be qualified part way through the TC going by the above. If that is the case, some firms will just tell you to consider applying for qualified roles once you have completed the whole QLTS.

Depending on how much experience you have in your home jurisdiction, they may also suggest a TC wouldn’t be appropriate anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If TC is not the appropriate way, then what is advisable according to you?

As I want to be a qualified Solicitor from England and Wales and I think training contract plays a vital role in this.

the problem is a TC is designed for non-qualified people - you have started the process of qualifying.

You have a number of obstacles here:

1) you need to find a firm able to offer you a TC starting in 2021 and who can sponsor your visa (most of these firms are currently recruiting for 2022)

2) if you secured the above, you could currently qualify part way through the TC, therefore negating the need to do a TC (fixed period of time, fixed training)

Your position is one many international candidates struggle with. The system is not designed with your circumstances in mind.

The SQE will make it more flexible in that respect, although is going to make the work permit process even trickier.

As you can become a qualified solicitor with the QLTS, you don’t need a TC. Many firms would therefore advise to build up relevant experience elsewhere and then come to the U.K. as an experienced qualified lawyer.

AMAN INANI

Standard Member
Feb 27, 2020
the problem is a TC is designed for non-qualified people - you have started the process of qualifying.

You have a number of obstacles here:

1) you need to find a firm able to offer you a TC starting in 2021 and who can sponsor your visa (most of these firms are currently recruiting for 2022)

2) if you secured the above, you could currently qualify part way through the TC, therefore negating the need to do a TC (fixed period of time, fixed training)

Your position is one many international candidates struggle with. The system is not designed with your circumstances in mind.

The SQE will make it more flexible in that respect, although is going to make the work permit process even trickier.

As you can become a qualified solicitor with the QLTS, you don’t need a TC. Many firms would therefore advise to build up relevant experience elsewhere and then come to the U.K. as an experienced qualified lawyer.

So for me to become a qualified solicitor, I don't need to get TC?

By just passing MCT and OSCE, I can qualify as a Solicitor from SRA?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So for me to become a qualified solicitor, I don't need to get TC?

By just passing MCT and OSCE, I can qualify as a Solicitor from SRA?

Yes - there is currently no work experience requirement for the QLTS, although that will change with the SQE.

There is a big difference between being qualified and being employable though....

Popal

Distinguished Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for giving such helpful answers! I have a quick one of my own. I self-funded the GDL in 2018, and am currently going through the training contract process. I have coming up to 2 years work experience in the legal sector under my belt) at a litigation funder, then as a paralegal); if I am not fortunate enough to get a training contract this year, I am considering waiting until the SQE and taking both exams to qualify.

Do you think this is a sensible/viable route for me to consider, given I have already self funded the GDL and committed to the old route?

Many thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for giving such helpful answers! I have a quick one of my own. I self-funded the GDL in 2018, and am currently going through the training contract process. I have coming up to 2 years work experience in the legal sector under my belt) at a litigation funder, then as a paralegal); if I am not fortunate enough to get a training contract this year, I am considering waiting until the SQE and taking both exams to qualify.

Do you think this is a sensible/viable route for me to consider, given I have already self funded the GDL and committed to the old route?

Many thanks

the SQE will be the only route to becoming a solicitor, so it will be viable.

remember you will need QWE of two years on top of passing the exams. If this is not in the form of a TC (or TCs as the QWE can be across up to 4 organisations) then how employable you will be as a NQ is the bit in question.

the new system will very much be like how accountants qualify, and there are plenty of people who have passed the accountancy exams but who are not employable due to either lack of appropriate work experience.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.