General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Postponed - I probably should I have used that term, but they stated in the email its uncertain when they will go ahead or if they will instead have direct TC interviews. It must be a pretty difficult call to make tbf, as what will happen in future is so uncertain.

Hope everything goes well Lauren!! I'm sure they would really try to make it work!! :oops:

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lauren2

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    wanted to hear peoples' opinions on this btw - if you applied for a vac scheme and a firm asks you if you are interested for a direct TC instead due to your prior experiences, what would you prefer? Get work experience first or go straight for the TC interview?

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    1. Tbh 99% of people that already have a training contract and paralegal are literally only doing it for the money and to bridge the time before they start their TC. So thanks for stating the obvious.

2. I know this is going to be controversial and trigger the people on this forum that have/are self funding the LPC but it's kinda true. All the people that I know that are self funding have been rejected multiple cycles and are getting desperate so they self fund which I think is a really bad idea. Not to say those that are getting rejected year after year won't make it. Plenty of success stories on this forum of people that have made it after multiple application cycles. However, people need to be realistic and face the truth. Although I really like the supportive environment of this forum, people need to be realistic with their future options and prospects.

Not everyone will share this view but sometimes you have to put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter, especially at firms where competition is fierce and places are limited. I can so see why some firms may think "what's wrong with them", especially if the individual has done multiple vacation schemes and cycles and fails to covert any of them into TC offers.

What is the truth that they need to face though? You say people need to be realistic about their future options as if there’s no room for improvement for them and they’ve hit a dead-end. I don’t think anyone is in the position to tell anyone that they’re selling themselves false hopes by continuing to apply regardless of how many rejections they’ve faced IMO.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    1. Tbh 99% of people that already have a training contract and paralegal are literally only doing it for the money and to bridge the time before they start their TC. So thanks for stating the obvious.

2. I know this is going to be controversial and trigger the people on this forum that have/are self funding the LPC but it's kinda true. All the people that I know that are self funding have been rejected multiple cycles and are getting desperate so they self fund which I think is a really bad idea. Not to say those that are getting rejected year after year won't make it. Plenty of success stories on this forum of people that have made it after multiple application cycles. However, people need to be realistic and face the truth. Although I really like the supportive environment of this forum, people need to be realistic with their future options and prospects.

Not everyone will share this view but sometimes you have to put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter, especially at firms where competition is fierce and places are limited. I can so see why some firms may think "what's wrong with them", especially if the individual has done multiple vacation schemes and cycles and fails to covert any of them into TC offers.
    I think this is a fair assessment and really can see it from both sides. You’d really have to have a deep inner resolve and self-belief to self-fund an LPC but if you back yourself and think you’ve got what it takes for a TC then all power to you I say!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    What is the truth that they need to face though? You say people need to be realistic about their future options as if there’s no room for improvement for them and they’ve hit a dead-end. I don’t think anyone is in the position to tell anyone that they’re selling themselves false hopes by continuing to apply regardless of how many rejections they’ve faced IMO.
    True, but at the same time being pragmatic with your career is another important skill to develop. If you keep applying to the top firms and get rejected repeatedly, there’s no harm in applying to so-called ‘lesser firms’ to begin your career and then making the step up later on. I think too many people in our position see a training contract at a top firm as the be all and end all but the truth is we’re going to be working for 30+ years so there’s a lot of time to make that step up later on even if it may be difficult!

Last edited:

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Thanks!! Could I hear your thoughts please? :):)
    If they are saying you already have relevant prior experience then generally there’s no need to do a VS, if you have a good indication that this is the firm you would be comfortable doing a TC at IMO. If they are inviting you for a direct TC, there is arguably less steps than going through a VS to securing a TC. Of course there may be factors where the threshold for interviewing direct TC candidates as opposed to a VS (which is like an extended interview) may be slightly higher but if they feel you are capable I say go for it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Changes, D95 and R203

givemeareason

Mar 10, 2020
    True, but at the same time being pragmatic with your career is another important skill to develop. If you keep applying to the top firms and get rejected repeatedly, there’s no harm in applying to so-called ‘lesser firms’ to begin your career and then making the step up later on. I think too many people in our position see a training contract at a top firm as the be all and end all but the truth is we’re going to be working for 30+ years so there’s a lot of time to make that step up even if it may be difficult!

Thank you Daniel, I couldn't have said it any better.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    sorry for the questions but I am really confused about the whole sqe thing. If I do the gdl this year, will I still have to do sqe1 and sqe2 as opposed to the LPC next September? Because I’m thinking what’s the point in funding the GDL when I could wait a year and then just do the sqe? Or does the GDL skip you ahead to sqe2?

You could have to do the SQE - it's probably down to your future employer, not necessarily you.

Either option will be potential routes to you until 2027, as you have completed the GDL before August 2021.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    True, but at the same time being pragmatic with your career is another important skill to develop. If you keep applying to the top firms and get rejected repeatedly, there’s no harm in applying to so-called ‘lesser firms’ to begin your career and then making the step up later on. I think too many people in our position see a training contract at a top firm as the be all and end all but the truth is we’re going to be working for 30+ years so there’s a lot of time to make that step up even if it may be difficult!

Being pragmatic is definitely key but I just think in the same sense people can be pragmatic about acquiring the skills and experiences required to land a TC at those firms without resorting to firms they’re not necessarily interested in. I would in fact argue that being pragmatic would be recognising how difficult it would be for someone to join a top city firm as an NQ if they trained at ‘lesser’ or regional firms since there would still be so much competition from other NQs (both from smaller and city firms) trying to join those firms. I’d instead advise them to continue applying whilst ensuring they’re doing everything they can to improve.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.