TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread for the 2026-2027 application cycle.

This thread is for all discussions relating to vacation scheme applications throughout the year. Whether you are looking for advice on submitting written applications, online assessments, interviews, assessment centres, or simply want to share updates on your progress, feel free to post here!

As always, this thread is a space to ask questions, exchange insights, discuss firm processes, and support fellow applicants. The recruitment process can be both exciting and challenging, and we hope that this community continues to be a helpful resource for everyone navigating the cycle. Please remember to keep discussions respectful and constructive, and where possible, share information that may benefit other applicants.

If you want a clear way to organise your own applications, you can save firms, research them and track your progress through each stage in the free TCLA Workspace.

To assist you with your applications, we also have the Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2026-27 thread, and the Open Day and Insight Scheme Deadlines 2026-27 thread.

Finally, last year's thread can be found here: TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2025-26.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone applying this year! We look forward to following your journeys and celebrating your successes along the way :)

Abbie
Hi everyone, I am an International Student with a very atypical background, wanting to qualify as a solicitor in England and Wales. I have been trying with incorrect guidance and information for the past 3 years, and I have recently started over by pursuing an LLM at King's College London after completing my conversion at a non-RG.

My issues in applying for VS applications are as follows: I did my A-levels 9 years ago and practically failed, and I have legitimate mitigating circumstances to explain this (victim of a traumatising event 1 month before my exams, lost the ability to think, read or write and received no adjustments from my school or guidance).

This happened internationally, and in my country you did not need A levels for most non-STEM degrees to go to the best universities; since I had decent IGCSE's, I managed to go to one of the top institutions in my country and graduated with a 2:1 equivalent in a non-law discipline. Unfortunately, my mitigating circumstances continued, and I had to pursue postgraduate education in my parents' hometown, where the only conversion course was offered in the form of an LLM and not a GDL, meaning that it is not recognised as a qualifying law degree.

In all honesty, I am pursuing this degree at KCL not only to make up for my mitigating circumstances but to be closer to a more recognised and prestigious network, as I have been told that it helps with securing training as an International Student. I know LLMs have virtually no value in legal practice, but really I am doing this for networking and better guidance than anything else.

Please can someone guide me on how I can potentially do VS's whilst pursuing this LLM without my mitigating circumstances getting in my way. I know my situation is very atypical and my chances are slim to none, so please no more berating lol; you will not be saying anything I don't already know. My aim is to not only work at big law/US/SC/MC firms; I am open to working at smaller boutique firms as well, and I know I don't have a good enough profile, but I still feel like my approach is lacking. Moreover, even firms with no minimum A level req's still consider and ask for them and I am not convinced they really put much weight for mitigating circumstances for people who did as bad as me.
 
Hey, for your CV, did you provide a full breakdown of all your module grades?
I was on DLA’s waitlist last year with only two marks or so off what they required. The CV is just a standard IB/Consulting CV so it’s just your a levls broken down with your maths and science and English gcse just before. The uni bit you have your overall mark with maybe your % in brackets. Then experience, then self start and then extra key skills. Search IB CV for reference. I also attached a cover letter as I did last year very brief, I know they don’t ask but they’re my top 3 firms so I wanted to make the effort
 
I was on DLA’s waitlist last year with only two marks or so off what they required. The CV is just a standard IB/Consulting CV so it’s just your a levls broken down with your maths and science and English gcse just before. The uni bit you have your overall mark with maybe your % in brackets. Then experience, then self start and then extra key skills. Search IB CV for reference. I also attached a cover letter as I did last year very brief, I know they don’t ask but they’re my top 3 firms so I wanted to make the effort
That’s so helpful, thank you!
 
  • Like
Reactions: anon78365222111

Find member