• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

do you know if you can still apply if you averaged a 2:2 instead?
From their website:

‘We ask that you be on track for, or to have already achieved, a minimum of a 2(i) degree
(or the equivalent if you are studying/have studied outside the UK) and a minimum of AAB (or equivalent) at A Level. There is the option to add mitigating circumstances to your application. We are also pleased to confirm that we use Rare’s Contextual Recruiting System (CRS), which allows us to understand your grades within the context they were achieved. The firm encourages applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds.’
 
For questions like 'tell us about any insights days you've attended', are we allowed to mention other law firms or are we expected to only provide a general overview of the event and what we learnt?

For example, when applying to W&C, can I explicitly mention I attended a networking event at Baker McKenzie?
Hi! Absolutely you can explicitly mention attending other events, if anything it is encouraged. This is because you are showcasing interest in the broader career as a whole, and even better if the firms are similar in some ways.

Nevertheless, you don't have to mention the names, and can instead provide an overview. Both ways are acceptable, I personally did the latter (did not name any specific firms). This could be because of word count etc. But you can't really go wrong with either way.

Hopefully that was helpful!
 
Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector?

I should answer this question with bullet points, right?
Hi! I personally would always err on the side of caution and write in written prose, unless specifically told to use bulletpoints/list.

This is because "tell us about" implies the firm wanting to hear in a little more detail about the events. As such, through prose, you are able to create a more engaging narrative of how the events contributed to your understanding of the career and your now position applying to the firm.
 
Hi guys,

I am looking to apply to NRF's open day. They don't have any application questions, but they ask you to submit a cover letter. Does anyone know how what information I would need to include in a cover letter for an open day?

Thank you!
While I never had to use a cover letter for an open day, I would probably cover similar points.

The first paragraph should be focused on why law. This would then be followed as to what you find interesting about the firm, potentially linking the Open Day here. You could talk about how attending the open day would enable you to learn more / develop more in regard to that point you find appealing. Then, you would either include why me throughout these paragraphs or separately as its own standalone section.
 

Latest posts

Find member