• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

Potential dishonesty issue! Advice needed!

Diane Lockhart

Standard Member
Jul 3, 2026
7
2
Hey everyone, just wondering If someone could give me some advice with a potential dishonesty issue?

Basically, prior to my main undergrad degree, I started a different course (at the same uni) and a few months in (November/December time) I sorted a transfer to my main degree because I wasn't enjoying it, to begin the following September.

I secured a TC a few months ago. When applying, I filled out all the details for my undergraduate degree as usual. Then, in extra information, I wrote in that prior to my X degree I started a different degree in Y subject, didnt enjoy and arranged a transfer around Christmas to start the following September. Emphasised it was lack of enjoyment, not academic ability and pointed to first class in my main degree.

I didn't include any grades or anything further, because it was just an extra info box, and it wasn't my main degree, I guess I figured if they were bothered, they would ask for grades or reject me.

Anyway, I'm downloading my transcripts and things before I lose uni access, and I've realised that because I didn't actually withdraw from studies (for Student Finance reasons), my transcript has a bunch of 0% grades, and Fails recorded. With the final year decision being "Fail: Programme Transfer to X degree" The other three years (my main degree) are exactly as I provided, and are all first class averages.

Genuinely didn't even occur to me at the time, but now I'm really worried that this looks dishonest, like I misrepresented the situation by not telling them I 'technically' failed the year by not sitting any further exams. I just didn't think at the time, I had no interest in Law or anything like this, I just couldn't afford to pay back my student loan, or keep paying for my halls. Then when I was applying, it didn't seem necessary to mention because it was so far in the past, and I did well in my degree since, I didn't realise how seriously firms take this kind of thing and I didn't know what was on my transcript anyway.

My transfer was arranged and in place at the time I said, and I can prove that with documents like my transfer form. My statement wasn't a lie, but I'm paranoid that when they eventually ask for transcripts or do a background check, they'll have a problem and think I was trying to hide something.

Am I overthinking this? I'm currently being sponsored by them and don't wanna draw attention to it if I don't have to, but i'm worried about future repercussions
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone, just wondering If someone could give me some advice with a potential dishonesty issue?

Basically, prior to my main undergrad degree, I started a different course (at the same uni) and a few months in (November/December time) I sorted a transfer to my main degree because I wasn't enjoying it, to begin the following September.

I secured a TC a few months ago. When applying, I filled out all the details for my undergraduate degree as usual. Then, in extra information, I wrote in that prior to my X degree I started a different degree in Y subject, didnt enjoy and arranged a transfer around Christmas to start the following September. Emphasised it was lack of enjoyment, not academic ability and pointed to first class in my main degree.

I didn't include any grades or anything further, because it was just an extra info box, and it wasn't my main degree, I guess I figured if they were bothered, they would ask for grades or reject me.

Anyway, I'm downloading my transcripts and things before I lose uni access, and I've realised that because I didn't actually withdraw from studies (for Student Finance reasons), my transcript has a bunch of 0% grades, and Fails recorded. With the final year decision being "Fail: Programme Transfer to X degree" The other three years (my main degree) are exactly as I provided, and are all first class averages.

Genuinely didn't even occur to me at the time, but now I'm really worried that this looks dishonest, like I misrepresented the situation by not telling them I 'technically' failed the year by not sitting any further exams. I just didn't think at the time, I had no interest in Law or anything like this, I just couldn't afford to pay back my student loan, or keep paying for my halls. Then when I was applying, it didn't seem necessary to mention because it was so far in the past, and I did well in my degree since, I didn't realise how seriously firms take this kind of thing and I didn't know what was on my transcript anyway.

My transfer was arranged and in place at the time I said, and I can prove that with documents like my transfer form. But I obviosuly was still enrolled and did technically fail the year with 0% grades. My statement wasn't a lie, but I'm paranoid that when they eventually ask for transcripts or do a background check, they'll have a problem and think I was trying to hide something.

Am I overthinking this? I'm currently being sponsored by them and don't wanna draw attention to it if I don't have to, but i'm worried about future repercussions

Hey! I don't think this is a situation to worry about. I can see why you'd not think to include this information at the time of applying. The referencing procedure is more concerned with applicants submitting false information and yours isn't one of those situations.

My gut in these situations is to be upfront, so you may want to consider sending graduate recruitment an email as a heads up. That gives you peace of mind, but also, I think people like to know ahead of time rather than later down the line.

Equally, I don't think it's an issue if you don't want to do that.
 

Find member