• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

Failed A-Levels, is there any hope?

Nas_Des

New Member
Sep 29, 2026
1
0
Hi, so I believe I am a very atypical candidate, and I have described my situation below and was wondering if someone could let me know if I have a chance of qualifying in the UK any time soon?

I am an aspiring solicitor who grew up in Qatar and was educated under the British system. In the Gulf, you really only needed GCSE's to go to a very high-ranking uni with very good post-grad pay. I did fairly well and thought I was gonna go straight after. Then my family had this weird dream to up and move to the UK and were forcing me to do A levels to go to uni there. Long story short, I had 9 months after my gap year to sit them, and I completely flunked them, like I mean FAILED (DEE). I did not need to disclose these grades in my country, as I paid for this exam privately and it was completely optional. My grades have been consistently high before and after, and I have never failed or resat an exam otherwise. I had other mitigating circumstances at the time that affected these grades that I could get documented proof for from a medical professional.

I ended up having to go to uni where I lived and graduated with a double degree in politics and finance from a top-ranked uni in the Middle East (No. 1, actually) with a high 2:1, got offers from the local PwC and Deloitte for local grad schemes, but bc I was an expat, and my parents moved to the UK, I had to move here for affordability. I have an LLM in legal practice and am sitting the SQE in July of next year after I complete an LLM in International Finance Law at KCL.

Is there any hope for me getting into an MC/US/SC/regional or city firm, or getting any kind of vac scheme or training contract, or will my A levels, which I did 7 years ago, follow me around and jeopardise my career?
 

Find member