• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

I’m so confused. Why is DLA saying you need AAB in a level for their summer internship? I applied previously and there were no a level requirements.
FFS… 🫩 I actually can’t with this cycle. Like I didn’t sit those exams??

Trisha Paytas Crying GIF
 
Question for the forum: In a 2-minute VI question where the firm is asking, 'Why this firm + skills I think are important for trainees, ' do I need to delve into 'Why commercial law?' at all?

Given this is a lengthy question with a 2-minute time limit, I don't suppose I will have time to discuss it; however, since I am a career-changer, is it important that they know my answer to it?

I suppose if I choose to answer only what the question asks, I can delve into my reasons for pursuing commercial law later in the interview stages?

@Antoni Trochimowicz would appreciate any support!
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
When applications ask for the dates you were at school, are you putting accurate dates? Because, hm… LOL

Like I’m trying to search the term times, but they’re gone💀

Update: Turns out local councils set term times and have it on their websites 😭😭😭😭
 
Last edited:
Also on the topic of DLA Piper, their discovery days felt like a real opportunity to actually network and then show something good on your applications. Does anyone know what the point of attending them will be this year if their recruiting this year is quite strict?
Would be useful once you get to the interview stage but not as useful not as before since they've gotten rid of the application questions :/
 
Real talk. Is there a specific reason why all law firms decided to either introduce A Levels grade requirements or increase their existing requirements? 🫪
I think alongside the points other people have made on AI meaning a lot of firms just aren't bothering with application questions so need to assess some other way, the SQEs being so hard/pass rate being so low means they don't want to risk going through the whole application process only to have to take away a TC because they didn't pass the SQEs in time to start the TC. I think their logic is your academic achievement is an indication of how well you'll do in them (even though they're MCQs and most exams aren't...)

Not to scare anyone, but I have heard more firms are also taking away your TC last yr/this yr if you don't pass first-time... Don't even get one resit :((
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member