TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2025-26

I’ve recently received an interview for a DTC at an MC firm, but I’ve found out that they have a policy of not interviewing candidates who are already holding a TC with another firm.

I’m currently holding a TC with an international firm. It’s a decent firm, and as an international student, having a TC as a backup is valuable to me. At the same time, I’m seriously considering moving firms and would like to keep my options open.

I’m therefore trying to understand how common this policy is across MC and SC firms. Is it generally the case that holding a TC elsewhere will prevent you from being considered for other firms, or is this more of an individual firm policy?

If it’s common across the market, I’d need to think seriously about whether keeping my current TC is limiting my future options. If this firm is an outlier, I’d probably keep my TC and accept that I may have to pass on this particular interview.

Has anyone been in a similar position or knows how other MC/SC firms approach candidates who already hold a TC? I’d also really appreciate any advice on whether it would be sensible to give up a secure TC in this situation.
 
  • ✅
Reactions: Minhee
I’ve recently received an interview for a DTC at an MC firm, but I’ve found out that they have a policy of not interviewing candidates who are already holding a TC with another firm.

I’m currently holding a TC with an international firm. It’s a decent firm, and as an international student, having a TC as a backup is valuable to me. At the same time, I’m seriously considering moving firms and would like to keep my options open.

I’m therefore trying to understand how common this policy is across MC and SC firms. Is it generally the case that holding a TC elsewhere will prevent you from being considered for other firms, or is this more of an individual firm policy?

If it’s common across the market, I’d need to think seriously about whether keeping my current TC is limiting my future options. If this firm is an outlier, I’d probably keep my TC and accept that I may have to pass on this particular interview.

Has anyone been in a similar position or knows how other MC/SC firms approach candidates who already hold a TC? I’d also really appreciate any advice on whether it would be sensible to give up a secure TC in this situation.
Congratulations on receiving an interview, and on the other TC!! :) I know circumstances are difficult right now, but that is something to be very proud and happy about regardless.

I completely understand why holding a TC is valuable to you, especially with your background. Some firms are stricter on policy than others. I have found that most firms (including MCs and SCs) are willing to interview / let you VS with another TC offer, as long as you have not signed it.

If you have not yet signed your current TC and you're not sure that's the right firm for you, I would recommend writing to them and asking if it would be possible to receive an extension on your signing deadline. Some firms say no, but a lot of them are quite understanding about this and do say yes (especially if you have already received a VS offer from another firm), so it is worth a shot. You can explain that you're grateful for the TC and enjoyed the application process, but that you would value the opportunity to VS / see some other firms too, just to be completely sure on your decision - would it be possible to sign after x date, you understand if the answer is no, etc.
 

Top Members

Find member