• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith at 6pm today to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

DLA DISCOVERY DAY OFFER - NOVAA IS SO BACK 🌟

Olivia Wilde Nod GIF
Congratulations! Which office was this for?
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Hi @Minhee two long questions sorry !
For a 200-word “Why Me?” section in a cover letter/application, would you recommend using three distinct experiences, each demonstrating a different skill, or is it equally effective to discuss two key skills developed through one experience and then show how those same skills were further developed through a second experience, before using a third experience to demonstrate a different skill? I am leaning towards the second approach because my Commercial Awareness Society experience and corporate consulting experience developed similar skills and, together, I think they provide stronger evidence of the commercial qualities law firms look for. If I used three completely separate experiences, I would probably need to replace the consulting example with a volunteering experience, which I feel is less commercially relevant. Which approach would you recommend?

For cover letters, is it acceptable to adjust the font and font size slightly to fit more content on the page? For example, instead of using Times New Roman 12, could I use a different professional font that appears smaller, or would you recommend sticking to a more standard font and size even if that means including fewer words?
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member