Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
This is super informative, thank you!Hi! Unfortunately, Antoni is no longer working on the forum (he is focusing on his Product Lead role). I will do my best to fill his shoesI did a post on the JD AC here!
Hi! Novaa and Prudentia both give fabulous adviceHow to answer ‘why do you want to become a solicitor’? I like the processes behind things you see in the everyday world and solving complex issues to minimise them to simple solutions but I don’t think that’s enough. Do I have to link back to the firm? Link back to my work experience? Thanks!
That's a good starting point!! I'd link it to specific experiences, and pick them carefully, because the first thing an assessor might ask is "So why not consultancy?"
I got caught out by this myself... I mentioned mentoring and advocating for people, and was immediately asked "Why not human rights?”
![]()
So I now use my non law work experience to close down those follow-ups. I draw on my project management background, then explain what made me realise I wanted to move “back” into law specifically. The key is showing what being a solicitor gives you that those other paths don't, like advising clients on legal problems or working with the law itself.
I'd also save firm-specific reasons for "why this firm".
The way I approach this question is: if my answer could explain why I want to go into any other profession, it’s not explicit enough. For example, solving complex issues could apply to many careers. Funeral directors also solve complex issues (sorry to be crude, but hopefully you get the point!). You need to understand what solicitors actually do specifically and link your motivations to that. There are things that solicitors do that aren’t done by any other profession. You also want to draw upon experiences that made you realise that you’re drawn to being a solicitor specifically. Sorry if this response is a bit garbled, but I hope that helps a bit.
That's lovely to hearFreshfields Stage 1 just came through. I sent my application at 2am and they applied my reasonable adjustments without me chasing.
Feeling: Scared![]()
Hi, is it worth waiting until after an open day to apply to a firm if they screen on a rolling basis? The OD is just a few days away, deadline is 30 Nov. Thanks
Hi! Unfortunately, I do think it really depends on the firm.I would love to have some insight on this as well - the firm’s application deadline is 7 January and the open day is on 2 December, but they review vacation scheme applications on a rolling basis. Should I wait until after attending the open day to apply, or submit early?
Hi! It was the same for me last year as it was for NovaaHi, can someone give tips/general advice about Linklaters Online Assessment for the vac scheme? Mainly, I wonder if there are video interviews or written tasks within there? Or is it just watson glaser and situational judgement sections? Thank you in advance!
Unless they have changed it, it will be a SJT and WG.
For your SJT have their agile mindset framework in mind. That’s what they’re testing for.
If you need anything else, feel free to PM me.
Hi! That’s such a fair question - I found SJTs so odd when I first started taking them.
I know this can be frustrating to hear, but I do think your instincts matter more than any method. I gave the same responses on every SJT I took, and I passed some firms and failed others. It’s a question of natural fit and (in my opinion) impossible to game. It’s easy to overthink then end up selecting an option that does not reflect who you are, and still does not align with what the firm wanted - so, while I know it’s easier said than done, do try to follow your genuine choice!
With that said, sometimes, I didn’t know which option was genuinely right for me, because (as you mentioned) they all sounded similar. In these instances, I would take the following steps.
I hope that is helpful and good luck!!
- Read the scenario / question. Make a list of all the firm’s values that you think might be relevant. So, if the scenario is: 'A partner has asked you and two colleagues to complete a complex project within the next week. It involves reviewing a large volume of detailed legal documents. How would you tackle this?' I would think: ‘you and two colleagues’ - COLLABORATION; ‘complex project’ - maybe RESILIENCE or CRITICAL THINKING; ‘within the next week’ - TIME MANAGEMENT; ‘reviewing a large volume’ - ORGANISATION ; ‘detailed’ - ATTENTION TO DETAIL.
- Rank each value based on how much it matters to you. This can feel tricky - don’t overthink it. If I was someone who really enjoyed working with people, I might go 1. COLLABORATION. If I’m someone who values submitting perfect work, I might go 1. ATTENTION TO DETAIL. If I’m someone who prefers to get things ticked off my to-do list quickly and punctually, I might go 1. TIME MANAGEMENT.
- Read each option, and see whether they support or go against each value. So if option A is ‘Suggest working closely as a team, so you can support each other throughout', - that's definitely very collaborative. If I have ranked collaboration as my first value, I would at least shortlist that as my ‘most likely to’. If I have ranked collaboration as my last value, I would probably not consider it for my 'most likely to'.
- Pay close attention to wording. Say B. is 'Talk with your colleagues about how you work together to meet the deadline and ensure a high quality product'. That is also collaborative, but a bit different. B is more outcome and time management focused (high quality product and meet the deadline). A puts more emphasis on the process and actual action of collaborating (so you can support each other throughout). Which is more important to you? Collaborating towards a common defined goal or just collaborating in itself? I know this is a bit abstract-y - this is the tricky part! When you're faced with options that appear to support the same competencies / are very similar, I found looking at the specific wording to be helpful in differentiating them. Again, if you’re in doubt, just answer with what you feel is right
Hi! I would email Grad Rec about itHi guys. I recieved an AC last year for a DTC and unfortunately did not get the TC. Should I re-apply? I am not sure of the firms policy as there is nothing I've seen online about this. Should i email grad-rec? Any advice appreciated
Hi! No need to be sorryHi @Minhee two long questions sorry !
For a 200-word “Why Me?” section in a cover letter/application, would you recommend using three distinct experiences, each demonstrating a different skill, or is it equally effective to discuss two key skills developed through one experience and then show how those same skills were further developed through a second experience, before using a third experience to demonstrate a different skill? I am leaning towards the second approach because my Commercial Awareness Society experience and corporate consulting experience developed similar skills and, together, I think they provide stronger evidence of the commercial qualities law firms look for. If I used three completely separate experiences, I would probably need to replace the consulting example with a volunteering experience, which I feel is less commercially relevant. Which approach would you recommend?
For cover letters, is it acceptable to adjust the font and font size slightly to fit more content on the page? For example, instead of using Times New Roman 12, could I use a different professional font that appears smaller, or would you recommend sticking to a more standard font and size even if that means including fewer words?
Sorry, I'm not too sure on B&B as I don't have experience with them!On the B&B application, it asks about legal events attended - I got their open day, but it's not until the end of October, and I know B&B is very much a rolling firm, so I was wondering if I could put the event down before I've been to it? you dont have to describe the event just the name and date.
Is this for spring ?Does anyone have any insight into Baker Mackenzie VI? Can exchange for Macs, HLC, FF!![]()
Hi! Huge congratulationsHey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. I got accepted onto Grow’s mentoring scheme and received the email on Saturday. I replied the same day accepting it. I haven’t heard anything since, so I was wondering whether it’s better to sit and wait until they reach out or if I should send a follow-up email.
I would normally wait, but I’ve been paired with a firm that is one of my top choices, so the sooner I can get started, the better really.![]()
Huge congratulationsJones Day interview! I don't know if its for Winter or Summer though because I applied for Winter but put Summer as my backup. Surely it is too late for Winter as my interview is in late October?
Last year, it was SJT for 1 step, then critical thinking and VI for the 2nd!Does anyone know if for Latham open day, it's SJT, critical thinking, and VI all as 1 step or is 2 stages?
Thank you so much!Huge congratulationswell done!!!
Last year, I had my interview in mid Nov ish. The next day, they wrote back informing me I had a spot for their AC, but that this would be for Spring as Winter AC was already full.
Perhaps they will do the same for you (or, since it's still Oct, they may have Winter AC spaces!) Either way, best of luck and I hope it goes well!