Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
If vac schemes are cancelled.. is that it? Will we have to go through the process again next year to secure a place again? :'(

You just need to speak with the GR team. They will advise you. For example - When Latham Spring was cancelled, the email explicitly stated that it would not affect our chances of securing a TC this cycle with the firm.

Reactions: Zoo and J32

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I think the key thing to remember guys with this is that law firms absolutely still need their future trainees so they might have a busier summer with various schemes happening or indeed maybe some firms will do winter ones, but really do not worry about your chances! Just try to see this as more time to prepare and more time to research the firm etc so you are super ready for when the time comes to truly enjoy the experience and show your best self!

I understand it is easy to say all this and that worrying is natural (trust me - I would be the same!) but I honestly cannot see any TC chances being hindered with the postponements.

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
I think the key thing to remember guys with this is that law firms absolutely still need their future trainees so they might have a busier summer with various schemes happening or indeed maybe some firms will do winter ones, but really do not worry about your chances! Just try to see this as more time to prepare and more time to research the firm etc so you are super ready for when the time comes to truly enjoy the experience and show your best self!

I understand it is easy to say all this and that worrying is natural (trust me - I would be the same!) but I honestly cannot see any TC chances being hindered with the postponements.

I think it’s more to do with now having to do heaps more applications on top of other worries. If you turn the VS into a TC I’d have known by roughly mid April either way. If I would have been unsuccessful, I would have been able to use it on my CV and do further applications. Now I need to go all the way back to the beginning do heaps of applications with time I really don’t have right now.
In addition, it was initially said that we’d be moved to the summer scheme, which is simply not possible for me as I work full-time and can’t take 4 weeks off. So unless they end up offering separate dates, I have lost this opportunity (which is currently all I’ve had) and seeing as the AC for the VS was identical to the one for the TC this is unbelievably frustrating.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I think it’s more to do with now having to do heaps more applications on top of other worries. If you turn the VS into a TC I’d have known by roughly mid April either way. If I would have been unsuccessful, I would have been able to use it on my CV and do further applications. Now I need to go all the way back to the beginning do heaps of applications with time I really don’t have right now.
In addition, it was initially said that we’d be moved to the summer scheme, which is simply not possible for me as I work full-time and can’t take 4 weeks off. So unless they end up offering separate dates, I have lost this opportunity (which is currently all I’ve had) and seeing as the AC for the VS was identical to the one for the TC this is unbelievably frustrating.
I’m really sorry to hear about your situation and I understand how difficult this sounds. Whilst I was trying to address the issues surrounding postponement and what that could possibly mean for the chances of conversion, I understand this issue extends beyond that worry as you have highlighted in your post.
I wish I could offer some sound advice as to what is best but it’s very hard to when it comes to people’s individual circumstances. Is it possible to maybe make a few apps to your top choices and add the VS in as you usually would and just add a note in the textbox saying ‘postponed until further notice’ so that it is still in the apps?

I understand that it is hard to take time off with work. When you say four weeks off is that because you have another VS in the summertime? Or would the scheme itself be four weeks? I really think if the dates they release cannot work for you there would hopefully at least be the opportunity for a discussion regarding a direct TC. You may have to do the AC again but it might be worth broaching that if you can’t do the VS. I think everyone has been knocked for six by this whole situation so I am sure firms will try to be as accommodating as possible.

• 🤝
Reactions: Zoo and Jaysen

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

I am also facing the prospect of having to give up full-time work in the Summer to complete my VS's as there is no way I'll get 6 weeks or so off. If you want to talk it through or hear my thought process (and how I was going to approach it), drop me a PM.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ifmhouse4, c1070 and Jaysen

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey I’m in exactly the same position as you... I know we can’t do anything about it but with TC recruitment being such a long process any lost time can feel like a lifetime... the prospect of knowing my fate end of April and either way being able to use the VS on future direct TC apps was my plan (I also work full time) and so now to have been so close and feel so far , it’s the worst!!! Obviously this affects everyone but it’s easy to feel like we’ve just had extremely bad luck!! Totally sympathise with you :)

In addition to some rubbish covid-19 related luck ... not only has my first ever VS been postponed, I had an invite to a direct TC AC where the email specifically stated 10th feb, but the link was to a slot 27th March, when I emailed back they apologised for sending the wrong link but there were no longer spaces on the 10th... now I know people have been offered TCs from the feb me and my AC in March has been postponed... rubbish luck!

Last edited:

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hey I’m in exactly the same position as you... I know we can’t do anything about it but with TC recruitment being such a long process any lost time can feel like a lifetime... the prospect of knowing my fate end of April and either way being able to use the VS on future direct TC apps was my plan (I also work full time) and so now to have been so close and feel so far, it’s the worst!!! Obviously this affects everyone but it’s easy to feel like we’ve just had extremely bad luck!! Totally sympathise with you :)

In addition to some rubbish covid-19 related luck ... not only has my first ever VS been postponed, I had an invite to a direct TC AC where the email specifically stated 10th feb, but the link was to a slot 27th March, when I emailed back they apologised for sending the wrong link but there were no longer spaces on the 10th... now I know people have been offered TCs from the feb me and my AC in March has been postponed... rubbish luck!

I had a TC offer I turned down because I had the VS with my first choice firm and they have on average a super high conversion rate from VS to TC and I felt that I had a high enough chance of making it that made it worth turning the TC down as the deadline was last week.
I’ve done 72 applications over 3 cycles and this was the first time I got anything. I have international qualifications and they are really good, but I constantly get rejected post app. I know my essays are definitely not the reason either, because I study for the GDL in the evening, which gives me access to ULaw’s career services and they go over all my apps with me over and over again, so it’s definitely down to my qualifications for the most part. I definitely feel like a class A idiot now that I’m left with nothing. Anyway, I’m sure I’m not alone in this, but with the current state of the world it’s hard to not feel that little bit more down and frustrated by it...

• 🤝
Reactions: Ifmhouse4, Zoo and D

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I had a TC offer I turned down because I had the VS with my first choice firm and they have on average a super high conversion rate from VS to TC and I felt that I had a high enough chance of making it that made it worth turning the TC down as the deadline was last week.
I’ve done 72 applications over 3 cycles and this was the first time I got anything. I have international qualifications and they are really good, but I constantly get rejected post app. I know my essays are definitely not the reason either, because I study for the GDL in the evening, which gives me access to ULaw’s career services and they go over all my apps with me over and over again, so it’s definitely down to my qualifications for the most part. I definitely feel like a class A idiot now that I’m left with nothing. Anyway, I’m sure I’m not alone in this, but with the current state of the world it’s hard to not feel that little bit more down and frustrated by it...

Definitely build on your success this year. You seem you have cracked the application "game" this year with some success so you definitely can replicate it next year if necessary!

GP Salient

Mar 19, 2020
I know it's a bit early but concerned now that summer vc might be cancelled or postponed. To have worked so hard for it, getting an offer, and the thought of it being cancelled fully or postponed to a date that I haven't scheduled or cleared is going to hurt bad :(

Reactions: Nat000 and NourJ

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I know it's a bit early but concerned now that summer vc might be cancelled or postponed. To have worked so hard for it, getting an offer, and the thought of it being cancelled fully or postponed to a date that I haven't scheduled or cleared is going to hurt bad :(

It's an awful feeling for sure. But, let's reassure ourselves:

Firms are going to have to recruit. Jessica has been quite bullish by saying that firms should be ok, and they will need trainees. Thus, they are going to have to recruit them from somewhere. If they ordinarily do so from their VS's, they are likely to offer (in the event that the VS is cancelled) those VS candidates the opportunity to interview for a TC! So, don't think it's all gone to waste. We can make it happen still. We're all in it together :)

Reactions: Zayn, Zoo and Ifmhouse4

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Ask to transfer your application to a TC application.

I suspect you would need to do a final round interview again - you shouldn’t need to start the process from scratch.

just because the AC is the same as a TC, very different expectations are applied when recruiting someone for a few weeks at £400-500 a week, compared to making a commitment to someone for 3+ years

Reactions: Zayn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I can guarantee you it won’t be down to the fact you have international qualifications.

Reactions: Zayn

Aquareed

Standard Member
Forum Winner
Feb 8, 2020
Vardags vac scheme interview has been cancelled - they said they’ll run the scheme next year and we’ll interview then :( trying to tell myself it’s just bad luck that we’re going through the recruitment cycle this year

• 🤝
Reactions: c1070

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.