Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My prediction is that most firms will go ahead with recruitment this cycle because they have already invested so much and they will eventually need trainees any way.

We may see a dip in recruitment and trainee positions open next cycle.

Doubt it will impact next cycle - by that point they will be recruiting 2023 intakes.

the only way it may impact next cycle is far fewer networking events, open days and the like. There might be some deferrals, but even then they will mainly be for 2020 and 2021 intakes - May mean there are some vacancies taken up by deferrals, but even then the numbers will be a very small fraction of the opportunities available.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Lauren2 and FutureCity

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker
Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about Covid 19 if asked for a current news story you are following and its impact on legal firms? Struggling to think of other stories at the moment! Any other suggestions from anyone?

you can’t talk about Covid generally. It is impacting everything and so it is too big a story to cover in an interview or application. If you do, you will just talk about things very generically, in a predictable/bland/one dimensional way because of the limit you have in time/word counts.

what you should do is find a story that interests you - it could be a particular industry, a particular region/country, a particular impact on law, a particular commodity etc.

I am not really commercially minded, but if it was me coming out of uni, I’d probably pick something like the hospitality industry (because I worked in it), or possible even the oil industry (as my Dad worked in it so I understood it more than others). I might choose something about Data/data Protection, as I had worked in the summer in a marketing department and had to understand this on some level. I might focus on a particular business I had worked for (I worked for a major Brewery/pub chain). I might do something about the tourist industry as I am a keen traveller, or football as I am a massive football fan.

I’d basically play to my strengths or my interests but I would think about whether that story is relevant to the firm I am applying to. The football story would be irrelevant unless the firm has a good sports practice, the oil industry story would be more relevant if the firm is known to work with key oil companies.

If that was now, I’d then explain how Covid-19 is impacting that particular “story”.

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
On the subject of commercial topics, the virtual interviews we are running for premium members deep-dive into different commercial topics and we are selecting new topics each month so this might be a good way to prepare for these kinds of questions and might offer some inspiration.

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
This is going to be slightly off-topic, but... does anybody else find it very hard to focus on applications right now?

Personally, even though I work from home there's not much time that I can use to write applications (I am taking a cheeky coffee break right now) - not only I am actually loaded at work (okay, that I am grateful for - so many of my friends got laid off/furloughed that I really appreciate having a steady job) but also whenever I have some spare time, I cannot bring myself to be productive, TC application wise. It especially sucks since in a few months time it will be 2 years since I graduated from university, so I feel the pressure of getting a TC but equally whenever I try to type answers to app questions, I end up staring blankly at my laptop screen. I do a lot of yoga, I watch The Office (again), I call my grandparents every day, I actually cook a lot - but I physically can't sit down and write applications.

I really cannot find motivation to get on the TC application process.

But if in some (distant) future I will be asked during the interview to say how I spent quarantine, I will be able to proudly say "I learned to do splits again and I also baked some banana bread".

• 🤝
Reactions: cmaj, csyn, Karin and 19 others

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
This is going to be slightly off-topic, but... does anybody else find it very hard to focus on applications right now?

Personally, even though I work from home there's not much time that I can use to write applications (I am taking a cheeky coffee break right now) - not only I am actually loaded at work (okay, that I am grateful for - so many of my friends got laid off/furloughed that I really appreciate having a steady job) but also whenever I have some spare time, I cannot bring myself to be productive, TC application wise. It especially sucks since in a few months time it will be 2 years since I graduated from university, so I feel the pressure of getting a TC but equally whenever I try to type answers to app questions, I end up staring blankly at my laptop screen. I do a lot of yoga, I watch The Office (again), I call my grandparents every day, I actually cook a lot - but I physically can't sit down and write applications.

But if in some (distant) future I will be asked during the interview to say how I spent quarantine, I will be able to proudly say "I learned to do splits again and I also baked some banana bread".

Dominika, right now it's incredibly difficult to get a job. Don't despair about that. Focus on the essential first, which is to make yourself more employable.

When it comes to coronavirus, I genuinely agree with you. The way I approach the situation is to accept it and move forward. The more I get crossed, the more I realise that the problem is with me. We can't change anything; the main thing is how to use this time as efficient as possible. The reality is that the time we have right now can be used in a very productive manner. I'm personally preparing for job competitions, following courses on Macroeconomics, analysing fiscal/monetary policies, applying for looking for jobs in Europe and doing FR/IT classes (though currently am doing a traineeship at the EU and read law at uni). Yes, it sucks that I'm doing teleworking; yes, it sucks that I'm supposed to enjoy my time in Brussels; yes, it sucks that I want to go out with friends - but what can I do?

My advice is to enjoy yourself, finds new hobbies. I lived in Rome for a few months.; having lots of spare time now, I can finally cook things I didn't have time for in Italy. When I can be productive, I work as much as I can. When I don't, I try to avoid procrastinating. We're all on the same boat. Take it easy, but don't neglect your priorities. Easy to say but sometimes difficult to do. Hugs from Belgium

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

Please do not be hard on yourself and I found that my motivation when writing apps really ebbed and flowed so I would say this is totally normal with the current situation and without it. Everyone is responding to this differently and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way. If you want to spend this time doing online courses and learning new skills then great, if you want to spend it reading books all day and soaking up the sun (if you have a private garden/balcony) then that too is great. It really doesn't matter so long as you are doing everything you need to for your health and happiness during this period. Maybe listen to your mind and take a break from apps, instead of everyday feeling like you have to do a bit and spending time being unproductive, give yourself a break. Maybe if you take a few days to not think about them you will feel a bit invigorated next week and ready to give an application a go?

I was two years graduated in the summer of 2019 and it has been this 2019/2020 cycle I got my TC so do not pressure yourself in that regard either. i truly believe things happen just as and when they are meant to :)

Also congrats on your flexibility! I have been trying yoga for the first time and I am abysmal but we must all start somewhere I guess!!

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Dominika, right now it's incredibly difficult to get a job. Don't despair about that. Focus on the essential first, which is to make yourself more employable.

When it comes to coronavirus, I genuinely agree with you. The way I approach the situation is to accept it and move forward. The more I get crossed, the more I realise that the problem is with me. We can't change anything; the main thing is how to use this time as efficient as possible. The reality is that the time we have right now can be used in a very productive manner. I'm personally preparing for job competitions, following courses on Macroeconomics, analysing fiscal/monetary policies, applying for looking for jobs in Europe and doing FR/IT classes (though currently am doing a traineeship at the EU and read law at uni). Yes, it sucks that I'm doing teleworking; yes, it sucks that I'm supposed to enjoy my time in Brussels; yes, it sucks that I want to go out with friends - but what can I do?

My advice is to enjoy yourself, finds new hobbies. I lived in Rome for a few months.; having lots of spare time now, I can finally cook things I didn't have time for in Italy. When I can be productive, I work as much as I can. When I don't, I try to avoid procrastinating. We're all on the same boat. Take it easy, but don't neglect your priorities. Easy to say but sometimes difficult to do. Hugs from Belgium

I actually have a job - and a demanding one at that! :) That's why I wrote that I am grateful for having a steady job during current circumstances - sorry if it wasn't clear from my initial post.

I agree about new hobbies - I also started cooking and utilising some of the cook books I have (that means things more complicated than my standard rice + veggie combo).

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020

I can empathise.

Am in a similar boat as a career changer. Have quite a bit of work on but as I’m in lockdown with family am surrounded by kids and lacking the privacy to both work efficiently and do applications, as my productive time is limited to evenings. Ordinarily I’d go to a coffee shop or library but obviously can’t in the current climate.

I’m adapting by allowing more time for apps/interview prep. Having to do video interviews at night as otherwise I’ll inevitably be interrupted. Might not quite do the number of apps I had hoped to by the end of the month but still doing something at least. If I get a virtual assessment centre I’m going to have to book a hotel to do it.

You’ll get there and there is always next year.

• 🤝
Reactions: D95

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Something I've found useful in my own work:

Rather than trying to work on apps whenever you can find some spare time, you might want to consider setting a specific time each day (ideally, a time when you feel you tend to be more productive) to work on apps. This doesn't necessarily need to be that long (e.g. just 30 minutes), but I find once you've set this habit, it takes a lot less willpower to follow through.

(PS: I'm currently on my third re-watch of The Office, so I'm completely with you there.)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Something I've found useful in my own work:

Rather than trying to work on apps whenever you can find some spare time, you might want to consider setting a specific time each day (ideally, a time when you feel you tend to be more productive) to work on apps. This doesn't necessarily need to be that long (e.g. just 30 minutes), but I find once you've set this habit, it takes a lot less willpower to follow through.

(PS: I'm currently on my third re-watch of The Office, so I'm completely with you there.)

Just as another tip, I tried to find creative ways to research which didn't require sitting at a desk so I would often listen to podcasts and the TCLA lessons when I was walking or cleaning the house so that I was still absorbing information but in a more dynamic way. Might not work for everyone but I really liked this approach and it was effective for me :) I am feeling inspired to do a post on this to maybe impart some creative ways of working and some top tips like Jaysen's above.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018

I really get it and know exactly what you mean. I'm usually a very productive person but even reading is proving tough, as concentration is limited and sometimes I do not feel physically well enough either. My mantras are - pandemics end eventually; have patience; it's ok to have a down day; you are only human; humans are social animals; having your freedom to interact curbed is difficult to comprehend; do something positive for yourself every day.

Sending positive vibes.

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: csyn, Eva, Charles and 5 others

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    @Alice G I know this had probably been asked a million times but what are some good podcasts to listen to for building up commercial awareness? I struggle to read the news as often as I’d like so thinking podcast is the way to go for gaining information in a less taxing way!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @Alice G I know this had probably been asked a million times but what are some good podcasts to listen to for building up commercial awareness? I struggle to read the news as often as I’d like so thinking podcast is the way to go for gaining information in a less taxing way!

No worries at all!
    So I really like BBC Radio 5 Live's 'Wake Up to Money' podcast and BBC's 'Business Matters' - these are my two go-to podcasts. I also like and dip into those offered by the FT and the Economist too. I can also recommend Freshfields, HSF, Linklaters and Allen & Overy for their podcasts too. I also have BBC Radio 4's 'The Bottom Line' and 'Beyond Today' in my library too.

Here are some threads below which will also help you more broadly:
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/resources-other-than-ft-tcla.2312/#post-27645
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-with-law-firms-updated-list.2293/#post-27179
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/podcast-recommendations.1462/#post-13077

Lauren2

Valued Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    I like the FT daily news briefing, TBU ‘think commercial’ podcast and ‘the commercial awareness podcast’ which are all accessible on Spotify. I tend to alternate between them as I’m not an enormous fan of listening to podcasts ☺️

ShelleyEds

Sep 19, 2019
    you can’t talk about Covid generally. It is impacting everything and so it is too big a story to cover in an interview or application. If you do, you will just talk about things very generically, in a predictable/bland/one dimensional way because of the limit you have in time/word counts.

what you should do is find a story that interests you - it could be a particular industry, a particular region/country, a particular impact on law, a particular commodity etc.

I am not really commercially minded, but if it was me coming out of uni, I’d probably pick something like the hospitality industry (because I worked in it), or possible even the oil industry (as my Dad worked in it so I understood it more than others). I might choose something about Data/data Protection, as I had worked in the summer in a marketing department and had to understand this on some level. I might focus on a particular business I had worked for (I worked for a major Brewery/pub chain). I might do something about the tourist industry as I am a keen traveller, or football as I am a massive football fan.

I’d basically play to my strengths or my interests but I would think about whether that story is relevant to the firm I am applying to. The football story would be irrelevant unless the firm has a good sports practice, the oil industry story would be more relevant if the firm is known to work with key oil companies.

If that was now, I’d then explain how Covid-19 is impacting that particular “story”.

Thank you; that's very helpful. I'm trying to prepare for that type of question coming up in a VI :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.