Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jaysen

What I find difficult to understand is how a paralegal would be faced with problems/ challenges when reviewing information and then make a innovative solution.

I dont understand what type of information or data a paralegal/ legal adviser reviews on a daily basis and how they overcome this challange or approach to overcoming this.

Is this question for a paralegal job or for a training contract?

nsil

Jan 17, 2020
Hi Jaysen!

With the current uncertainty due to Covid19 what advice would you give to aspiring solicitors? It is discouraging to see firms deferring their recruitment process and it is equally as worrying where firms have left their application process open but have not specified if they will indeed be taking on trainees. Would it be best to wait and see what happens once the economic effects of Covid19 are clear for the law firms I want to apply to before making applications? or do you think it would be wise to just continue making applications?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jaysen!

With the current uncertainty due to Covid19 what advice would you give to aspiring solicitors? It is discouraging to see firms deferring their recruitment process and it is equally as worrying where firms have left their application process open but have not specified if they will indeed be taking on trainees. Would it be best to wait and see what happens once the economic effects of Covid19 are clear for the law firms I want to apply to before making applications? or do you think it would be wise to just continue making applications?
Just to weigh on this, I’d say if you have the time then do the applications. Law firms still need to recruit even if they’ve paused to see how the situation goes. It might also be good to have an opportunity to send out apps and see how you do so that you can refine your technique. If you’re low on time, maybe try to do one or two apps for your top choices so that you are able to better manage everything :) hope this helps in some way :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen

What I find difficult to understand is how a paralegal would be faced with problems/ challenges when reviewing information and then make a innovative solution.

I dont understand what type of information or data a paralegal/ legal adviser reviews on a daily basis and how they overcome this challange or approach to overcoming this.

The first part of the question is there to just give you context as to why they're asking this question. You just need to focus on how you've demonstrated this within your own experiences.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen!

I'd keep going. No-one knows how this situation will play out right now, but I wouldn't stop making applications. If you do that, you're taking yourself out of the game completely.

I feel for you guys; this situation is going to require dealing with a substantial amount of uncertainty and adapting to quite a few changes to how things are done. Hopefully this forum will do our best to support you in any way we can!

Zoë Stainton

Future Trainee
    May 31, 2019
    Hi Jaysen, I have just been informed that my vacation scheme in June will be virtual and we will be able to visit the firm later on in the year. Do you have any advice/tips for the virtual aspect of the vacation scheme? I am unsure what it will be like so not sure how to prepare.
    Do you think this also means that they won't be offering TC for 2022 and delaying it a year?
    Thank you!

Sofia Dimopoulou

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 5, 2020
    Hello!
    I would like to ask you which the best websites/online resources are for a VC interview focusing on the life sciences industry, competition law and latest M & A trends.
    Thank you in advance:)

Zafake Insta

May 9, 2020
    HI so I have a question if someone can help me I would really appreciate it,
    so i am far behind all of deciding which undergrad course to take, just thinking ahead I guess
    so I am thinking about doing either law or law with a criminology degree, don't know which one. I am primarily interested in criminal law but in that field, i think it will be really hard to get a training contract especially cause I am an international student. And if i don't find one no big commercial law firm will take someone with law and criminology degree.
    So you know everything about law firms and training contracts, what would be my best bet if my end goal is criminal law, some people even said that there are none law firms that do criminal law and are sponsors for tier 2 visa... Any feedback will be really appreciated, thanks in advance...

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    so i am far behind all of deciding which undergrad course to take, just thinking ahead I guess
    so I am thinking about doing either law or law with a criminology degree, don't know which one. I am primarily interested in criminal law but in that field, i think it will be really hard to get a training contract especially cause I am an international student. And if i don't find one no big commercial law firm will take someone with law and criminology degree.
    So you know everything about law firms and training contracts, what would be my best bet if my end goal is criminal law, some people even said that there are none law firms that do criminal law and are sponsors for tier 2 visa... Any feedback will be really appreciated, thanks in advance...
    The best advice I would give is for you to study something that you feel you will enjoy at university rather than what you think is best for your career. Law is such a diverse profession in terms of what degrees people have studied so you really lose nothing by choosing a subject you enjoy over say what people have recommended! I, for instance, study Hispanic Studies (basically Spanish and History) and that has often been a really good conversation starter at interviews :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

your degree subject won’t be an issue, especially as we move to the SQE qualification process.

the visa issue will be for many criminal law opportunities though. It won’t matter what you study, that won’t change. Unless you get into white collar crime, there isn’t a lot of money in this section of the industry and therefore they are far less likely to pay for a visa.

This might become slightly easier though with the reintroduction of the post study work visa.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,
    What are your thoughts on virtual law internships? Are they worth doing and how would you discuss them in an application for a TC?

Thank you for any help!

I'd say it's worth doing if you have the time.

I wouldn't say it adds much, but it can be helpful to show some evidence of your interest in commercial law (particularly if you lack existing work experience). It's also probably more useful where the virtual internship is for the firm you are applying to.

That said, I know some can be quite time consuming. So if you do have existing legal experience and it would be at the cost of spending time on applications etc., then it might not be worth it.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'd say it's worth doing if you have the time.

I wouldn't say it adds much, but it can be helpful to show some evidence of your interest in commercial law (particularly if you lack existing work experience). It's also probably more useful where the virtual internship is for the firm you are applying to.

That said, I know some can be quite time consuming. So if you do have existing legal experience and it would be at the cost of spending time on applications etc., then it might not be worth it.
    Just to add to this @Shannon Murray, if you are able to do any absolutely do include this as part of your work experience section in apps. Just have one box dedicated to these online internships and perhaps give a brief overview of what you learned from them.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Earlier in this thread it was mentioned a guide was coming to give some pointers regarding virtual assessments/interviews/vacation schemes. I just wanted to check that it hasn't yet been posted and I haven't missed it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Earlier in this thread it was mentioned a guide was coming to give some pointers regarding virtual assessments/interviews/vacation schemes. I just wanted to check that it hasn't yet been posted and I haven't missed it?

apologies - that is with me. Hope to have it with people later this week.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and amb98

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.