List of firms offering winter vacation schemes/opportunities

secretadmirer

Jul 18, 2020
What the title says!

I looked around and couldn't find a list of firms with winter vac scheme opportunities. I know
- Slaughter & May (workshop)
- Thrings
- Foot Anstley
- Allen & Ovary
- Clifford Chance (Open day, not VS)
- HSF

Anyone know of others?

Reactions: anulciak7

secretadmirer

Jul 18, 2020
Worthwhile keeping an eye on this page - it will be updated in the coming weeks as firms confirm their plans ahead of September

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/WorkPlacementDeadlines

You can filter by Winter, Spring and Summer schemes

Thanks Jessica! I found Foot Anstley and Thrings by using that page, actually. I was just going on firms' websites to see if they offered a 2019 Winter VS and then putting it on my spreadsheet to watch out for similar deadlines in 2020 to be prepared before they open as some might not show up on the website until later, I think. But you know what - I'm going to bookmark that website now anyway! Thanks again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica! I found Foot Anstley and Thrings by using that page, actually. I was just going on firms' websites to see if they offered a 2019 Winter VS and then putting it on my spreadsheet to watch out for similar deadlines in 2020 to be prepared before they open as some might not show up on the website until later, I think. But you know what - I'm going to bookmark that website now anyway! Thanks again!

I wouldn’t necessarily go by 2019 in all honesty. There is still a lot of planned disruption that means

1) many firms may choose to not run their winter face to face schemes this year

2) there may be many more virtual internship opportunities instead

secretadmirer

Jul 18, 2020
I wouldn’t necessarily go by 2019 in all honesty. There is still a lot of planned disruption that means

1) many firms may choose to not run their winter face to face schemes this year

2) there may be many more virtual internship opportunities instead

Yeah, you're completely 100% correct Jessica - I'm merely taking note just in case, and to give websites a check around those dates :)
Actually, in regard to online experiences... obviously, they're not the same as in-person schemes and workshops, however, I was wondering if recruitment will treat them as such on a CV?

Context: I'm a nonlaw student entering my final year in September. I decided to pursue law in the commercial/corporate sector seriously after my year abroad which just finished in June, as I took modules that helped me come to that conclusion. That being said, because of my prior self-made arranged marriage to other career paths, I hadn't applied for or done any VSs or gone to open days (also because I'm an international student so it's better financially for me to go home for the holidays) which is why I'm adamant about taking Winter/Spring opportunities now. So, I've participated in webinars and internship experiences, but that's mainly what's available at this point in time, as I don't want to blindly apply to direct TCs before the July 31st before doing a VS, for example.

So, if I say I participated in "virtual internship opportunities" - how will recruitment view this? I know it depends on the rest of the application and the context of the other roles the applicant has taken on (for example I've worked in/out of term time, I'm going to do a paralegal role in August albeit for a criminal defence firm, been active and held leadership roles in societies).

Apologies for the block of text, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you so much Jessica (and others that may chip in)!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah, you're completely 100% correct Jessica - I'm merely taking note just in case, and to give websites a check around those dates :)
Actually, in regard to online experiences... obviously, they're not the same as in-person schemes and workshops, however, I was wondering if recruitment will treat them as such on a CV?

Context: I'm a nonlaw student entering my final year in September. I decided to pursue law in the commercial/corporate sector seriously after my year abroad which just finished in June, as I took modules that helped me come to that conclusion. That being said, because of my prior self-made arranged marriage to other career paths, I hadn't applied for or done any VSs or gone to open days (also because I'm an international student so it's better financially for me to go home for the holidays) which is why I'm adamant about taking Winter/Spring opportunities now. So, I've participated in webinars and internship experiences, but that's mainly what's available at this point in time, as I don't want to blindly apply to direct TCs before the July 31st before doing a VS, for example.

So, if I say I participated in "virtual internship opportunities" - how will recruitment view this? I know it depends on the rest of the application and the context of the other roles the applicant has taken on (for example I've worked in/out of term time, I'm going to do a paralegal role in August albeit for a criminal defence firm, been active and held leadership roles in societies).

Apologies for the block of text, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you so much Jessica (and others that may chip in)!

It depends what the internship is. If it is one where you are doing real work, yes. If it is more seminars/talks, then less so.

But considering that most schemes are virtual and probably will be for at least another 6 months (I reckon anyway), then firms will have to see value in them otherwise their talent pool is incredibly small.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.