General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Seeing people confirming training contract offers at White & Case on my LinkedIn for those with direct TC apps still in the running...

Anyone got an AC from W&C who hasn't done a TC?

From what I’ve seen it’s people who have done vac schemes. I guess grad rec are waiting to see how many people accept the TC before progressing any direct TC applicants!

Reactions: Zoo and Jennifer85

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hey guys, is anyone else still in the application process for Ashurst 2022 training contracts? I just received an update email saying I’d receive a further update in the next month... thought I had been rejected after so long had passed!!

I did the test in Jan/ Feb havent heard a peep. I'm so sick of emailing them. A good sign you got that email. I didnt even get that.

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hi all:
I applied for a TC at HFW over 2 months ago and haven't heard anything back! Is that normal? should I take it as a good or bad sign? I tried emailing the graduate recruitment team but no luck there neither. :/ Any advice will be much appreciated

I too applied to HFW. Havent heard anything either. However, i know theyve had a rough time of it because of corona - so doesnt really suprise me.

Reactions: SPS
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi all! I'm currently about to send in my HSF application but when I tried logging in, it said my account had been temporarily locked? Should I create a new account, seeing as the deadline for the application is 2nd October (ie: tomorrow). Thank you!

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
When it comes to the cover letter, is it a good idea to talk about jobs not related to law or not related to their clients, if there was transferable skills involved? Or should this not take up much of my application. I did modelling a few years ago and feel like I have a lot of transferable skills (and also was my only job for a good year and a half alongside uni) but don’t want them to think it’s irrelevant.

Non-legal work experience is just as valuable, if not more so, than legal work experience as you'll have definitely developed relevant transferable skills! Also, you'll usually have done that work experience for much longer therefore it's a much stronger example. It also makes your application more unique.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Non-legal work experience is just as valuable, if not more so, than legal work experience as you'll have definitely developed relevant transferable skills! Also, you'll usually have done that work experience for much longer therefore it's a much stronger example. It also makes your application more unique.
Thanks so much for your reply! I just feel like I struggle with making the connections without it sounding too generic/like a stretch, and when you’re using examples of what you did it feels like you’re drifting away from commercial law haha. But thank you I will definitely make sure to include it :)

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi all! I'm currently about to send in my HSF application but when I tried logging in, it said my account had been temporarily locked? Should I create a new account, seeing as the deadline for the application is 2nd October (ie: tomorrow). Thank you!
Hi, that happened to me a few weeks back to. Give it a few hours should unlock. If it still doesn’t maybe try re-setting your password.

Callum Udy

Standard Member
Aug 15, 2020
Hi All,

Has anyone heard back from A&O for the winter vac scheme yet? Or, has anyone heard back from SM for the new TC apps that opened on the 1st September?

I did a successful application to Baker McKenzie earlier this year for a direct TC if anyone needs any tips for their Bakers application! (I didn't pass the VI so I can't really be any help there)

Thanks in advance​

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
Hi All,

Has anyone heard back from A&O for the winter vac scheme yet? Or, has anyone heard back from SM for the new TC apps that opened on the 1st September?

I did a successful application to Baker McKenzie earlier this year for a direct TC if anyone needs any tips for their Bakers application! (I didn't pass the VI so I can't really be any help there)

Thanks in advance​

Haven't heard back from A&O or SM.

Good luck

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
In many instances it will be completely obvious, so it won’t need stating. But even if that wasn’t the case “lacking” isn’t really the language you want to be using
I've have done a similar thing with open days in the work experience section. I would always include one or two lines to explain to the recruiter what I liked about the open day, what I didn't (not in so many words) and how that has led to me applying to the firm that I am applying to now.

For example: "I attended X firm's open day and this helped me to realise that a structured training programme is important to me because of X reason, but that I would prefer to train at a firm with a smaller intake because of X reason, which is why I am drawn to this firm" ect.
Got it, thank you! That's a great example, I completely see what you mean.

Reactions: Camilla

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Thanks so much for your reply! I just feel like I struggle with making the connections without it sounding too generic/like a stretch, and when you’re using examples of what you did it feels like you’re drifting away from commercial law haha. But thank you I will definitely make sure to include it :)

No problem :) Every graduate recruiter I've ever spoken to has emphasised the value of non-legal work such as part-time bar work, etc. Just remember to relate back to commercial law by weaving in why that skill is important for a solicitor!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks in advance​

Hi! I am planning to apply to BM's summer VS - although not a TC I'd still love to talk about the application questions/process with you?

keenaspiringlawyer

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 2, 2020
Hi for the "rolling deadlines" applications when is the best time to get them in. A lot of applications have opened today and was wondering when would it be "too late" to apply? I don't want to spend ages on crafting a perfect application and get rejected because the spaces have filled up/moved the deadline up ?

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi for the "rolling deadlines" applications when is the best time to get them in. A lot of applications have opened today and was wondering when would it be "too late" to apply? I don't want to spend ages on crafting a perfect application and get rejected because the spaces have filled up/moved the deadline up ?

Earlier the better of course but you could just end up waiting ages to hear back. In my experience getting them in around 4-6 weeks before the deadline is ideal, and two weeks before the deadline at the latest. Any later and I think you risk assessment centre spots being filled. It will depend on the firm of course and when they tend to try to host ACs/how many they want to host but I prefer the peace of mind of getting in apps well clear of the deadline.

Another way to think about it is how many steps there are in the application. If it's a firm which goes straight to AC, you have more leeway. If there are more interim steps, eg online tests, then phone/video interviews, then first stage interviews etc you probably want to allow more time before the deadline as you can get them out of the way before AC spaces are filled.

Reactions: Nat000

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020

I think there's a graph somewhere showing that even for rolling deadlines, the vast majority of applications come in like the last week! Even where it's technically rolling, you should be good for at least a few weeks.

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    I would be interested to see the correlation between dates of submission and success of the applications. All of my successful applications were submitted earlier, but I also know people who have got vacs/tc's after last-minute submissions.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I think there's a graph somewhere showing that even for rolling deadlines, the vast majority of applications come in like the last week! Even where it's technically rolling, you should be good for at least a few weeks.

Might be this one from @Paul - Shearman & Sterling, although they are non-rolling!

0-11-png.1875

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No problem :) Every graduate recruiter I've ever spoken to has emphasised the value of non-legal work such as part-time bar work, etc. Just remember to relate back to commercial law by weaving in why that skill is important for a solicitor!

I always stress to people that working somewhere like a bar or in retail is likely to have developed some of your skills much more than doing an internship for a week or two. They generally show you aren't afraid of work or people, and if you are juggling them with studies, that you can manage your time much more effectively than someone not working 8/15/22/30+ hours a week

Reactions: Zoo and AH97
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.