General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

STWO

Distinguished Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hi, does anyone know if Hogan Lovells send out the Watson Glaser test without having read your application, or do they screen your application first? Thanks!

They read your application after the test. I asked them why I was rejected for direct TC app and they told me it was based on my application as my WG results were good.

Reactions: CalibreX1

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Your topic sounds interesting and I think is fine to go for that.

I think the case is a good one to choose. It’s probably not bad to have mentioned it in your Why Mishcon but the space you have is quite limited and so would perhaps consider thinking of another reason to show you have more than a limited understanding/knowledge of the firm.

Thank you! And yeah good point! For the 'why us and why commercial law question' do you think its a good idea to split my answer into halfs, so 150 words for why us and 150 for why comm law?

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Thank you! And yeah good point! For the 'why us and why commercial law question' do you think its a good idea to split my answer into halfs, so 150 words for why us and 150 for why comm law?

I used about 80-100 words for why Law and then the rest for Why Mishcon. But I don’t think it matters - as long as your reasoning is clear. If doing law doesn’t seem like an obvious career path then I would consider using more space to explain that.

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
I am finding it hard to answer this question (Dechert Spring Vacation Scheme 2021). Is someone able to help me out with this - thank you?

"Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?"

EMD

Aug 13, 2020
Has anyone heard back from TLT? My portal has changed from "In Process. There is nothing you need to do" to just "In Process" - but I haven't had any updates. They said we'd hear back by the end of the month so I'm getting a bit antsy now.
Hi! I got an AC invite last week for the Manchester office but they might still be in the process of sending them out because I haven’t seen anyone else post about them yet! Mine said in process too so I wouldn’t worry about that, but maybe you could send a follow up email tomorrow if you don’t hear by the end of the day.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I am finding it hard to answer this question (Dechert Spring Vacation Scheme 2021). Is someone able to help me out with this - thank you?

"Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?"

Hey

I would think that many firms deliver premium legal services on challenging matters whilst providing sound business judgment. Why would clients pick Dechert over any other firm with a similar profile?

I would have a look on their website firstly to see what they appear to be proud of in terms of the service they provide to clients. For example, some firms will talk a lot about their client centric or innovative approach (this is just an example, you would need to be more specific than simply saying they are 'innovative').

Once you have worked out how they entice clients to instruct them, and how this benefits the client, you should then have a good foundation to build upon with further research.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random question:

Travers - do you upload your cover letter and CV as a document, or are you replicating them in text boxes on their online system?

champ591

Star Member
    Feb 5, 2020
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Hogan Lovells for the 22 direct TC after completing the WG? I've checked the portal and all of my email folders - no news whatsoever. They've already opened the apps for the next intake so just wondering if anyone else is on the same boat

Abgaal

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 24, 2019
    Hey

I would think that many firms deliver premium legal services on challenging matters whilst providing sound business judgment. Why would clients pick Dechert over any other firm with a similar profile?

I would have a look on their website firstly to see what they appear to be proud of in terms of the service they provide to clients. For example, some firms will talk a lot about their client centric or innovative approach (this is just an example, you would need to be more specific than simply saying they are 'innovative').

Once you have worked out how they entice clients to instruct them, and how this benefits the client, you should then have a good foundation to build upon with further research.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you so much!!!

Hana G

Jan 4, 2019
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Hogan Lovells for the 22 direct TC after completing the WG? I've checked the portal and all of my email folders - no news whatsoever. They've already opened the apps for the next intake so just wondering if anyone else is on the same boat

Hi, I know they are currently holding (virtual) assessment days, but the recruitment process is ongoing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.