Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah okay, thank you, that makes sense. So say I'm a candidate with a US VS on my CV, applying for a mid-market UK firm, and the "why us" question isn't comparative, it's just along the lines of "why are you interested in our firm". Would you at any point in this answer expect to see mention of what this firm can offer that the US one couldn't, or should that be kind of softly implied (e.g. by mentioning this firm has a cross-UK presence and full-service offering, something which many / most US firms lack)?

it’s not what the us firm can’t offer, it’s what the firm you are applying to can offer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah this makes me feel so old. Graduated in 2019 and still applying for Vac Schemes after three years.

No adjustments at university, but I'm not sure I'd have known what to ask for.

What sort of adjustments can firms make in the application process?

Try graduating in 2004....

There are a whole range of adjustments that can be made. Unfortunately it is usually down to the individual candidate to advise what these would need to be and then for the firm to be able to explain whether they can adjust the process accordingly.

Typical adjusment in situations similar to yourself is to swap a video interview to a telephone interview for instance. But it really depends on your personal circumstances.

Reactions: Tintin06

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Right, so that means I'm not mentioning the US firm unless it's to back a positive point about the firm I'm applying to, got it. Thanks

You'll need to mention it in your application - it would be silly to keep it out of your application entirely. But in any motivational answers you need a convincing answer that would help to allievate any concerns.

Basically a recruiter for a lower ranked firm with not much similar to the firms on your CV "is this person really interested in us, or are they likely to be the person who reneges or jumps ship at the first opportunity to the type of firms their CV suggests they are truly interested in". It is up to you to explain why that isn't going to be the case.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
You'll need to mention it in your application - it would be silly to keep it out of your application entirely. But in any motivational answers you need a convincing answer that would help to allievate any concerns.

Basically a recruiter for a lower ranked firm with not much similar to the firms on your CV "is this person really interested in us, or are they likely to be the person who reneges or jumps ship at the first opportunity to the type of firms their CV suggests they are truly interested in". It is up to you to explain why that isn't going to be the case.
This is really helpful advice. Have you seen many people do this successfully?

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
I submitted my application for Weil last week and still haven't received the WG test. Is anyone else still waiting for it?
Unless they have changed it this cycle Weil only sends out the WG after they have reviewed your application so it can take a little while. It took me three weeks to receive mine, although I submitted my app over the holiday period which can take longer.

Reactions: Lauren2 and man063

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Has anyone heard back from TLT? My portal has changed from "In Process. There is nothing you need to do" to just "In Process" - but I haven't had any updates. They said we'd hear back by the end of the month so I'm getting a bit antsy now.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I have seen people manage it - but that’s typically because I think their career motivations have changed
Thanks. That makes sense. I was worried I had the wrong kind of experience for MC/SC/transatlantic firms. I very much regret doing a VS at an American firm now. How do I convince firms like Macfarlanes and NRF that I want to work for them and that I'm not going to move to a US firm at the earliest opportunity?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks. That makes sense. I was worried I had the wrong kind of experience for MC/SC/transatlantic firms. I very much regret doing a VS at an American firm now. How do I convince firms like Macfarlanes and NRF that I want to work for them and that I'm not going to move to a US firm at the earliest opportunity?

Focus on what those firms can offer you, that a US firm cant

Reactions: Hana G and Tintin06

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Adding onto what @Stefano said, for T/F/CS questions, you should look for something that directly affirms or directly contradicts the statement. Otherwise, the answer is 'cannot say'. You do not rely on any 'general knowledge'.

From my understanding this is what distinguishes T/F/CS from T/Probably True/CS/Probably False/F questions (i.e. 'inference' questions in Watson Glaser), in which you are allowed to use 'general knowledge' to determine whether something is probably true or probably false.

Eg

'Most people who have salmonella experience symptoms of stomach ache and runny stool.'

Statement: 'It is common for people with salmonella to use the bathroom.'

In T/F/CS - cannot say. Nothing in the statement directly confirms or denies the link between salmonella & bathroom use
In T/PT/CS/PF/F - PT, because most people who have stomach ache/runny stool will use the bathroom (general knowledge)

Hope this helps

I used to struggle a lot with this so here’s my tip – don’t make any inferences yourself. Read the passage and the statement carefully and ask yourself if the statement is in any way “contained” in the passage (but expressed with different words). If it is, it’s true; if the statement directly contradicts or misrepresents the passage, it’s false; in all other cases it’s cannot say.

For example, if a passage says that a city has been using more and more renewable energy and the statement says something like “the city has become much more environmentally friendly in recent years” then I’d personally pick “cannot say” unless there is something in the passage that explicitly links renewable energy with positive effects on the environment – I know in the real world this link exists, but one should remain focused on the passage. I know this may sound obvious but reminding myself that I must make no inferences of my own helped me get much better! Hope this helps!

Thank you guys! This is super helpful - I'm going to try another one now!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Mishcon de reya have a question on their VS application which asks you to write about a topic that interests you and that you can talk about with your friends... would this need to be something lighthearted? I have an interest in some current affairs going on in Pakistan which are quite serious but not sure if should talk about that :confused:

Also, they have another question which asks about a 'legal case'... I wanted to talk about the Sainsburys v Mastercard case (Mishcon advised Sainsburys on the case) that has just been to the SC and the implications on competition law as a result of the decision but I've also briefly mentioned the case in the 'Why us' question so not sure if I should look for something else

Any insight is really appreciated :)

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I wouldn’t regret that - it’s a great achievement! It will have definitely given you some fantastic experience that will help you in future VSs.

Reactions: Zoo

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Mishcon de reya have a question on their VS application which asks you to write about a topic that interests you and that you can talk about with your friends... would this need to be something lighthearted? I have an interest in some current affairs going on in Pakistan which are quite serious but not sure if should talk about that :confused:

Also, they have another question which asks about a 'legal case'... I wanted to talk about the Sainsburys v Mastercard case (Mishcon advised Sainsburys on the case) that has just been to the SC and the implications on competition law as a result of the decision but I've also briefly mentioned the case in the 'Why us' question so not sure if I should look for something else

Any insight is really appreciated :)
Your topic sounds interesting and I think is fine to go for that.

I think the case is a good one to choose. It’s probably not bad to have mentioned it in your Why Mishcon but the space you have is quite limited and so would perhaps consider thinking of another reason to show you have more than a limited understanding/knowledge of the firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.