General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Articulate it in a way that highlights it as a learning experience. Perhaps consider how in hindsight why they weren't the right fit for you, and how that helped you come to the realisation that the firm you are now applying to is right for you. I think the point is to have it be a two-way decision as to why you didn't end up at the previous firm, and that you are sure about the current one.
Thank you. I was worried I might have to leave it out of all future apps for a second.

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Re explaining not converting a VS to a TC above, is it less of an issue if it is just one type of firm rather than two? The firm is technically US but more international. I recently finished a VS and it had a new TC interview added at the end (purely case study based). No one has heard an outcome yet, but it was the worst interview that I have had. A benchmark for the case study has to be met before the performance on the scheme is taken into account and I'm fairly certain I haven't met the benchmark; especially as there were nearly 3 x interviewees, in total than TC places.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Re explaining not converting a VS to a TC above, is it less of an issue if it is just one type of firm rather than two? The firm is technically US but more international. I recently finished a VS and it had a new TC interview added at the end (purely case study based). No one has heard an outcome yet, but it was the worst interview that I have had. A benchmark for the case study has to be met before the performance on the scheme is taken into account and I'm fairly certain I haven't met the benchmark; especially as there were nearly 3 x interviewees, in total than TC places.

I don't think it matters whether it's one 'type' or more. Failing to convert a vacation scheme is very common. To me, it just tells me that you managed to pass the recruitment process for one firm and successfully make it onto the vacation scheme. The fact that you didn't then convert the vacation scheme isn't a big issue, there are so many factors that could have caused this.

As @Jennifer quite rightly said, you just need to craft a clear narrative as to what happened with those firms and why exactly you chose the firms you did. You can then explain how this brings you to the firm you are interviewing at.

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you. I was worried I might have to leave it out of all future apps for a second.

Definitely don't leave it out. Doing another VS or two shows not only commitment to the career and that you know what you're getting yourself into, but that you are a great candidate too. It lends you great credibility.

Obvs TC is the end goal but don't forget that getting a VS is still an astounding achievement.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018

As Jaysen said, I don't believe it matters. It may not even come up. To note, this year I did a VS at both a silver circle firm and a US firm. The US firm knew I'd done a VS at the silver circle but didn't even ask about it or whether I had managed to convert it.

Additionally, if you needed to, I bet you could draw more similarities than you would expect between two firms that, on paper, are very different.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and 003

whoyou

Standard Member
    Aug 25, 2020
    You should absolutely not leave out your VS experiences from an application - it is an impressive form of work experience that will only strengthen your apps. Like Jaysen said, it is common amongst applicants to have not moved on from a VS to a TC (not all law firms have the intake to do so + it remains highly competitive) firms are aware of this.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    You should absolutely not leave out your VS experiences from an application - it is an impressive form of work experience that will only strengthen your apps. Like Jaysen said, it is common amongst applicants to have not moved on from a VS to a TC (not all law firms have the intake to do so + it remains highly competitive) firms are aware of this.

Agreed. The other important part of securing a vacation scheme is that it's pretty clear proof of your commitment to commercial law. Securing a vacation scheme means you have dedicated significant time to apply, interview and intern at a commercial law firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    With respect to the first point (already having done schemes at other firms), how would you suggest we present/portray the experiences to mitigate the perception that our direct TC applications are to 'second choice' firms?

Thanks!

Jennifer's reply is spot on about this!

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019
    Hey everyone, just sending a friendly reminder that you’ll all get there!!!!! I recently got a TC following a VS. Last year I didn’t even manage to get past the application stages. But with absorbing all of the resources on here and getting support from all of the amazing people on this forum, I managed to get four vacation scheme offers and eventually a TC. You can definitely, definitely do it! There were so many times when I didn’t feel good enough and lost hope. But, just keep going because you will get there eventually!

If any of you need any help, please don’t hesitate to reach out whether it’s for motivation or tips !!!! I’d love to pay all the kindness I’ve received forward :)

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Jennifer's reply is spot on about this!
    Would you mention this at the application stage or once / if invited to an interview?

Because I imagine it might come across as a bit artificial if in a question on "why our firm" you mention that you didn't like X at this other firm and you're really attracted by the fact that THIS firm has Y and Z. Or am I completely wrong on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would you mention this at the application stage or once / if invited to an interview?

Because I imagine it might come across as a bit artificial if in a question on "why our firm" you mention that you didn't like X at this other firm and you're really attracted by the fact that THIS firm has Y and Z. Or am I completely wrong on this?

it’s not that it’s artificial - but saying what you don’t like is negative and that’s something to avoid in an application.

What you need to do is focus on the positives of what the firm can offer you that the more “prestigious” firm cannot.

A “why your firm“ question doesn’t need to be comparative though, but many applications ask why it’s different to other firms you have considered or applied to, and in those instances a comparative answer is required.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I applied to Linklaters' India Internship programme. Our AC took place over a month ago and no one who attended the AC seems to have heard back yet. What could be a possible reason for this? Thanks!

They maybe waiting to work out how many people they will hire/what the next stages are etc.

Someone who is making the decisions could be off sick/on leave

Someone who is making the decisions could be busy with other more important work

They might have a freeze on budget and therefore have to work out whether the programme will go ahead

There are changes in visas about the happen in the UK, that might impact the wording of any employment contracts and they may be waiting for clarity on that from the UK government

Covid-19 is making them wonder whether the programme will go ahead

Literally a 101 different possible reasons really

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adam Gilchrist, OB and HotSauce123

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

In your justifications in why you like the firm you're applying to, you could affirm parts you liked from the vac scheme firm like intake size or practice area etc. Or reaffirm another aspect and say how you did a vac scheme at X and that was an aspect you realised you didn't want from your TC. There's probably good ways to put it in your question which makes you look like you know what you want and are well informed about the career without being artificial at all.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Does anyone know how to improve on the verbal reasoning tests - I have practiced so many and still getting around 50-60% :( I feel like an idiot

Hey, they’re definitely very testing so don’t feel that way! What really helped me was trying to understand what each section is really asking for so I did more research on the individual parts of the Watson Glaser. I find inferences and deductions particularly difficult so I watched videos or read other explanations that explained these in more detail in different words than the generic information you read during the test and I was able to see the slight nuances in each part of the test that helped me consider different answers than I would’ve previously.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Zoo and Lawbour

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Hey, they’re definitely very testing so don’t feel that way! What really helped me was trying to understand what each section is really asking for so I did more research on the individual parts of the Watson Glaser. I find inferences and deductions particularly difficult so I watched videos or read other explanations that explained these in more detail in different words than the generic information you read during the test and I was able to see the slight nuances in each part of the test that helped me consider different answers than I would’ve previously.

Thank you for this! very useful for the WG tests, especially the inferences section which is my worst area.
    But, all in all I'm reasonably ok at the Watson Glaser (i usually score 80%ish for them, with inferences usually letting me down lol), its more the verbal reasoning tests that I struggle with - the ones where they have some passage and ask you to whether a statement, related to the passage, is 'true', 'false', or 'cannot say'

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    When putting the ‘city’ or ‘location’ for work experience entries, do we put the location as where the organisation/firm is based, or the location we were primarily based whilst operating in this role? (E.g: our home city if we were WFH).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.