General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I see, thank you.

But would that be something to mention at interview or in the application itself?

Like I imagine if they asked in the interview "why do you want to do the VS with us" you would mention that it's a great opportunity to get an insight into the firm and show you what a TC there would be like, but if the application question is just "what attracts you to our firm" or something along those lines, then the answer would be pretty much the same whether you're applying for the VS or TC, no?
    I think that from my experience of completing apps (might not be the best way) in both questions you’d be answering why this opportunity. For a lot of my ‘why this firm’ answers I will touch on the programme and what about it makes me attracted to the opportunity. The best advice I got was to make sure my application is for the role I’m applying for. Sometimes it’s easy in apps for vs and internships to try and focus on the end prize ‘the Tc’ (I know it was for me lol) but a mentor advised me that’s not what forms are looking for, they want you to be excited my the current experience too since that’s technically what you’re applying for. Without seeing someone’s specific answers no one can say if they need to be rewritten, but in my experience when I have reapplied for different but similar opportunities at the same firm, rereading my apps meant I had to make slight changes so that grad rec knew I actually wanted position I was applying for

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and Jessica Booker

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Hi all, I haven't really commented here much, but have very much been reading this forum for advice, tips and motivation during this application cycle. I graduated uni two years ago, and was close to giving up on ever getting a training contract, but early today I got a call saying that one of my dream firms were giving me an offer. Just to let you all know, there is definitely hope, don't give up, and stay strong!
    Congratulations!!

RSta

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2019
    Hi, has anyone heard back from Latham post-VI? According to the previous email, they'll start Direct TC AC in the week commencing on 5 Oct which is only one week from now on.

CallumJR

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Anyone advice for HSF's online test? I failed it in the last two cycles and want to make sure I pass it this year. Mainly struggling with the second part (personality test)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all, I haven't really commented here much, but have very much been reading this forum for advice, tips and motivation during this application cycle. I graduated uni two years ago, and was close to giving up on ever getting a training contract, but early today I got a call saying that one of my dream firms were giving me an offer. Just to let you all know, there is definitely hope, don't give up, and stay strong!

So nice to hear when you guys come back and post with your offers. Great motivation and really well done!

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Anyone advice for HSF's online test? I failed it in the last two cycles and want to make sure I pass it this year. Mainly struggling with the second part (personality test)

I passed this a couple of days ago and my advice is to be honest, but to project an image of yourself being as positive and work-oriented as possible within that honesty. So e.g. if they ask 'Are you an organised person' your first impulse might be to say 'agree' but you can say 'strongly agree' instead. Sorry I know that's a bad example, but I hope it helps a bit!

At the end of the day though it is a personality test so I'm sure they can't put more weight on it than the SJT or Watson Glaser questions, I would focus on getting those 100% (especially the WG questions since you can prep for those). Good luck!

Reactions: OB and NadineBusty

M5JM

Sep 23, 2020

I failed this the first year and passed the second. I think they key is:

(1) to be yourself (which sounds cliche) BUT to have the role you are applying for in mind e.g. you wouldn’t say you don’t enjoy teamwork if applying to be a trainee solicitor at a commercial law firm; and

(2) try to be decisive - where it includes the answer ‘unsure’ or something similar as an option, pick true / false as much as possible

Reactions: NadineBusty and OB

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hey all, feeling a bit deflated as I had a VS this year and later discovered that there was only 1 spot for a TC to do the GDL and that I was the ‘silver-medalist’ as they put it. I’ve been told if the person who received the offer declines I will get the offer but I don’t want to rely on that. Does anyone have any advice how I can work this into current apps as they did say they’d looked into taking 2 people but it wasn’t feasible for this year due to covid. Is it wise to mention I am a ‘back-up’ on this years applications or to just keep it quiet?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey all, feeling a bit deflated as I had a VS this year and later discovered that there was only 1 spot for a TC to do the GDL and that I was the ‘silver-medalist’ as they put it. I’ve been told if the person who received the offer declines I will get the offer but I don’t want to rely on that. Does anyone have any advice how I can work this into current apps as they did say they’d looked into taking 2 people but it wasn’t feasible for this year due to covid. Is it wise to mention I am a ‘back-up’ on this years applications or to just keep it quiet?

This isn’t going to be the type of answer you’d want...

Back up unfortunately cannot really be proven. It could be something many candidates claim, but it’s pretty difficult to show anything that would back it up, and therefore it means very little.

There is also a risk that if you have got somewhat of a chance of getting an offer, firms may wonder why offering you would be worthwhile, especially if they are the “lesser” of the two firms.

It’s not to say you can’t mention it, I just think how you word it for each firm, and whether you mention it all depending on the firm you are applying to, needs to be carefully considered

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    This isn’t going to be the type of answer you’d want...

Back up unfortunately cannot really be proven. It could be something many candidates claim, but it’s pretty difficult to show anything that would back it up, and therefore it means very little.

There is also a risk that if you have got somewhat of a chance of getting an offer, firms may wonder why offering you would be worthwhile, especially if they are the “lesser” of the two firms.

It’s not to say you can’t mention it, I just think how you word it for each firm, and whether you mention it all depending on the firm you are applying to, needs to be carefully considered
    To be honest that is exactly what I thought, anyone could say they were the ‘back-up’ and no one would really check into it (I do actually have an email for it ;) ) so I was thinking to just leave it out. I would prefer to get an offer from any of the firms I am applying to in all honesty.

Thanks for your response, it’s good to have confirmed what I thought! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To be honest that is exactly what I thought, anyone could say they were the ‘back-up’ and no one would really check into it (I do actually have an email for it ;) ) so I was thinking to just leave it out. I would prefer to get an offer from any of the firms I am applying to in all honesty.

Thanks for your response, it’s good to have confirmed what I thought! :)

for me, this is something to mention at interview more than at an application stage. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear something like this at interview stage

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    would normally be mentioned in both. Obviously depends on the specifics of the question you are being asked though.
    I think that from my experience of completing apps (might not be the best way) in both questions you’d be answering why this opportunity. For a lot of my ‘why this firm’ answers I will touch on the programme and what about it makes me attracted to the opportunity. The best advice I got was to make sure my application is for the role I’m applying for. Sometimes it’s easy in apps for vs and internships to try and focus on the end prize ‘the Tc’ (I know it was for me lol) but a mentor advised me that’s not what forms are looking for, they want you to be excited my the current experience too since that’s technically what you’re applying for. Without seeing someone’s specific answers no one can say if they need to be rewritten, but in my experience when I have reapplied for different but similar opportunities at the same firm, rereading my apps meant I had to make slight changes so that grad rec knew I actually wanted position I was applying for
    I see, that makes a lot of sense, thank you. I'll try tailoring my applications slightly more towards the position I'm applying for.

Reactions: Jessica Booker
    D

Deleted member 5185

Just received an email from Travers Smith that they will no longer be holding interviews for this round. For some reason this feels more frustrating than a flat out rejection as it seems like my application was not even reviewed - makes all the time I put in feel like a waste. Congratulations to anyone who made it through to the interview stage.

I still haven't heard back yet, but hopefully they will put me out of my misery with this email on monday! I feel your frustration though.

D

Deleted member 5185

Take it as an opportunity to learn. Look at your previous app and see what went wrong. Make plan to kill the next cycle

When I’ve stopped feeling sorry for myself I will :DI look forward to doing this next application cycle with you S87! Thank you for your support.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.