General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

MI

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Just received an email from Travers Smith that they will no longer be holding interviews for this round. For some reason this feels more frustrating than a flat out rejection as it seems like my application was not even reviewed - makes all the time I put in feel like a waste. Congratulations to anyone who made it through to the interview stage.

I had the same and completely agree, I guess I will just apply to one of the Vac Schemes.

JW

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi everyone!

I am a brand ambassador for CMS this year and I just wanted to let everybody know that CMS have opened their mailing list up again! It's a really great way to get insider tips for your applications, keep up to date with events and upon registering you have two lucky dips entered into a £150 voucher give away! You can unsubscribe at any time but I promise that once you are registered you won't want to!

You can sign up here- it's super quick >
http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas

As most applicants know, research is essential so if you are applying to CMS this year make sure that you follow and have a look at their social media pages as your first stepping stone!
LinkedIn- http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas-li
Facebook-http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas-fb
Instagram- http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas-insta

Feel free to message me if you have any CMS related questions :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I get that investing time into applications and recruitment processes, only to be told they are no longer interviewing/recruiting for that role, can be incredibly frustrating.

It is something to get used to though - this happens an awful lot when you apply to non-graduate programme jobs, and even NQ/lateral hire roles as a more senior lawyer.

Don't take it too personally - these things aren't about you as an applicant, they about what's happening within the organisation.

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
I get that investing time into applications and recruitment processes, only to be told they are no longer interviewing/recruiting for that role, can be incredibly frustrating.

It is something to get used to though - this happens an awful lot when you apply to non-graduate programme jobs, and even NQ/lateral hire roles as a more senior lawyer.

Don't take it too personally - these things aren't about you as an applicant, they about what's happening within the organisation.
Thanks Jessica, I'll definitely keep this in mind going forward.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Just received an email from Travers Smith that they will no longer be holding interviews for this round. For some reason this feels more frustrating than a flat out rejection as it seems like my application was not even reviewed - makes all the time I put in feel like a waste. Congratulations to anyone who made it through to the interview stage.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, just frustrating as it seems like such a wasted application!
@Jessica what are your thoughts on essentially re-using the same application for Travers for the winter scheme when reapplying (with some minor tweaks of course and any updates) since I feel like they haven't even reviewed it, or would they compare to the previous application and see that its the same and just think its lazy? thanks for your help!

EMD

Aug 13, 2020
Same email here!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I'm in the same boat, just frustrating as it seems like such a wasted application!
@Jessica what are your thoughts on essentially re-using the same application for Travers for the winter scheme when reapplying (with some minor tweaks of course and any updates) since I feel like they haven't even reviewed it, or would they compare to the previous application and see that its the same and just think its lazy? thanks for your help!

You are applying for a different vacancy (vacation scheme vs TC) so it will need to change to reflect that. It will also need to be updated with anything that has happened since your last application. It should also be refined.

Recruiters only tend to look at earlier applications if they want to see what has changed since your previous application. If you application is strong enough/not strong enough, that isn't needed. So only tends to be in a small number of borderline cases.

For GDPR purposes, some firms wipe their data/applications anyway, so they wouldn't necessarily be able to review your earlier application anyway.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
You are applying for a different vacancy (vacation scheme vs TC) so it will need to change to reflect that. It will also need to be updated with anything that has happened since your last application. It should also be refined.

Recruiters only tend to look at earlier applications if they want to see what has changed since your previous application. If you application is strong enough/not strong enough, that isn't needed. So only tends to be in a small number of borderline cases.

For GDPR purposes, some firms wipe their data/applications anyway, so they wouldn't necessarily be able to review your earlier application anyway.
Hi Jessica, how would an application change if you're applying for a VS rather than a direct TC? Assuming all the questions / wordcount are the same, wouldn't you pretty much want to show the same kinds of qualities and interest in the firm for both?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, how would an application change if you're applying for a VS rather than a direct TC? Assuming all the questions / wordcount are the same, wouldn't you pretty much want to show the same kinds of qualities and interest in the firm for both?

Generally, yes that would be the same. But you are applying for a different opportunity and therefore your motivations for completing that opportunity will be slightly different.

efitzgerald

Standard Member
Sep 14, 2020
Hi all, I haven't really commented here much, but have very much been reading this forum for advice, tips and motivation during this application cycle. I graduated uni two years ago, and was close to giving up on ever getting a training contract, but early today I got a call saying that one of my dream firms were giving me an offer. Just to let you all know, there is definitely hope, don't give up, and stay strong!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all, I haven't really commented here much, but have very much been reading this forum for advice, tips and motivation during this application cycle. I graduated uni two years ago, and was close to giving up on ever getting a training contract, but early today I got a call saying that one of my dream firms were giving me an offer. Just to let you all know, there is definitely hope, don't give up, and stay strong!
    Huge congrats! That's amazing news! I hope you're able to celebrate this weekend :D

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Generally, yes that would be the same. But you are applying for a different opportunity and therefore your motivations for completing that opportunity will be slightly different.
    I see, thank you.

But would that be something to mention at interview or in the application itself?

Like I imagine if they asked in the interview "why do you want to do the VS with us" you would mention that it's a great opportunity to get an insight into the firm and show you what a TC there would be like, but if the application question is just "what attracts you to our firm" or something along those lines, then the answer would be pretty much the same whether you're applying for the VS or TC, no?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I see, thank you.

But would that be something to mention at interview or in the application itself?

Like I imagine if they asked in the interview "why do you want to do the VS with us" you would mention that it's a great opportunity to get an insight into the firm and show you what a TC there would be like, but if the application question is just "what attracts you to our firm" or something along those lines, then the answer would be pretty much the same whether you're applying for the VS or TC, no?

would normally be mentioned in both. Obviously depends on the specifics of the question you are being asked though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.