Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I have a question about Norton Rose Fullbright's Vacation Scheme application questions.

This may have been answered before, but for clarity, in regards to the question - 'If applicable, what do you do to keep up to date with your foreign language skills?' while my native tongue is English and do have some proficiency in Polish and Spanish, I do not regularly keep up to date by practising or using them. As such, is it okay to leave this question blank?

I have also completed the International Baccalaureate aged during the age of 16-18 years in the UK. For the question: 'If you have international qualifications, please state the full name of the equivalent qualification in the box below and briefly explain the grading structure.' do I need to explain these qualifications (as they hold some international merit) or is this a case for qualifications that were completed outside of the UK? I believe my grades are pretty self explanatory but this question is on the same page as the language question and I wasn't sure if leaving both blank could warrant a rejection for not answering the questions.

It's best to leave it blank if you are not find anything active to keep up to date/top up your languages.

The IB is a common system so the will know what they are looking for. If it isn’t clear from the options, you should just make clear which of your subjects were higher subjects and which were standard. And clarify your total points too.

Reactions: iamJW

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

I applied for a US firm in July,(Direct TC) and was rejected yday. They recently reopened their VS- would it be okay to reuse the same application as I felt as though I was only rejected because of the lack of space for TC applicants, not so much the content. I'm worried as in any case, as it is a cover letter firm, it may be seen as being lazy etc.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn’t take that risk. It’s a pretty big assumption that standards will be lower for a vac scheme, especially given the market at the moment.

I’d personally update it where possible and think if you have stronger examples. I’d also critically evaluate your application to see if the writing style could be stronger.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your response Jessica!

For the following question,
Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements
which has no world limit, how much words should I aim for. My current answer is 550 - is that too much?
Thanks for your response Jessica!

For the following question,
Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements
which has no world limit, how much words should I aim for. My current answer is 550 - is that too much?

Id probably try to get it to more like 450 words. It really depends on the length of the application though and whether other questions may have also demonstrated your extra curriculars

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica! Thank you so much for doing this :)
I have a question.. when writing my cover letter, is it okay to articulate your interest in commercial law specifically rather than saying my interest in law AND commercial law, for example. I felt my sentences regarding my interest in law were too generic and took up the word count of saying about what about commercial law specifically interests me. But I am a non-law graduate (although currently doing a GDL) and have no legal work experience apart from open days and insight evenings and the virtual events this year. Thankyou!

yeah that is fine. “Why law” isn’t really needed in cover letters unless you have got absolutely no connection to law at all

EvaK

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 19, 2019
Hi Jessica, a question regarding the "Rare" section in application forms: if there is no "I am not a UK student" option at the outset, would you recommend that international students like myself fill in this section as if we had been educated in the UK or just skip it/decline to provide the information? This may sound silly but I don't want to risk my grades being assessed more harshly by selecting answers like "I was educated outside of the UK" if that might then be (mis)understood to mean "fancy boarding school abroad"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, a question regarding the "Rare" section in application forms: if there is no "I am not a UK student" option at the outset, would you recommend that international students like myself fill in this section as if we had been educated in the UK or just skip it/decline to provide the information? This may sound silly but I don't want to risk my grades being assessed more harshly by selecting answers like "I was educated outside of the UK" if that might then be (mis)understood to mean "fancy boarding school abroad"

They can’t get assessed harshly. The system is based on calculating a score of disadvantage and there is no negative scoring. Someone with a 0 score would not have their grades looked at harshly, they would just considered to be what they are.

The Rare system is mainly based on an algorithm that needs U.K. data (postcode/school). You can complete the other questions (eg have you been a carer, where you employed during college, were you a refugee/asylum seeker) though - but the School and postcode data would have to be for the U.K. and so you won’t be able to complete those fields

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
Hi Jessica, a question on an application form asks to "provide details of any careers events you have attended". I have some open days coming up at two competitor firms and thought it would be useful to include these. Is it okay to include them or should I take the question literally and only include past events? Thanks

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    They can’t get assessed harshly. The system is based on calculating a score of disadvantage and there is no negative scoring. Someone with a 0 score would not have their grades looked at harshly, they would just considered to be what they are.

The Rare system is mainly based on an algorithm that needs U.K. data (postcode/school). You can complete the other questions (eg have you been a carer, where you employed during college, were you a refugee/asylum seeker) though - but the School and postcode data would have to be for the U.K. and so you won’t be able to complete those fields

Hi Jessica,

I'm interested to know a bit more about how recruiters calculate disadvantages from postcodes/schools - mainly to see what it says about mine! I’ve found this document from 2016 but it mainly covers London: https://www.rarerecruitment.co.uk/s...ty_in_Graduate_Recruitment_three_years_on.pdf

Do you know where I could find something similar but more in-depth for the whole of the UK? I was hoping for a way to put in my postcode and see what it says but I think that might be too convenient!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, a question on an application form asks to "provide details of any careers events you have attended". I have some open days coming up at two competitor firms and thought it would be useful to include these. Is it okay to include them or should I take the question literally and only include past events? Thanks

Its ok to include them - the only detail you can provide is the following:

Joe Bloggs LLP - Open Day, November 2020

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I'm interested to know a bit more about how recruiters calculate disadvantages from postcodes/schools - mainly to see what it says about mine! I’ve found this document from 2016 but it mainly covers London: https://www.rarerecruitment.co.uk/s...ty_in_Graduate_Recruitment_three_years_on.pdf

Do you know where I could find something similar but more in-depth for the whole of the UK? I was hoping for a way to put in my postcode and see what it says but I think that might be too convenient!

They don't calculate it - an algorithm does. It isn't just about postcode though, it will also be down to the school you went to and the answers to the other questions you provide.

It won't be as detailed as postcode, but this article from the BBC will give you some indication of social mobility hot and cold spots which are part of the algorithm. Other factors that feed into are demographics are things that won't be easy to find unfortunatley.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42112436

You might also want to read this: https://www.rarerecruitment.co.uk/static/research/2018_measures_that_matter.pdf

Put frankly, your postcode alone is not enough to get flagged by Rare's system

Last edited:

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you have had a good start to the week!

I know I have recently posted on here, but I somehow missed a whole question on one of my applications (I am still in shock) and was hoping to get your perspective on the question: "please provide examples of when you have demonstrated the following attributes: we are always professional but ensure we are friendly and approachable".

Now, as all of the questions on this applications require "examples", I have used different work experiences for each question. I have used most of my experiences up as a result! The ones that remain are: working as a barmaid at a large pub chain, an administrative assistant at a property company and a marketing assistant.

I wondered whether the first and last experience would be irrelevant (seeing as I am applying to a law firm?). Could I give some examples of different times when I have demonstrated these attributes as an administrative assistant only? I think not, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you, as always!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you have had a good start to the week!

I know I have recently posted on here, but I somehow missed a whole question on one of my applications (I am still in shock) and was hoping to get your perspective on the question: "please provide examples of when you have demonstrated the following attributes: we are always professional but ensure we are friendly and approachable".

Now, as all of the questions on this applications require "examples", I have used different work experiences for each question. I have used most of my experiences up as a result! The ones that remain are: working as a barmaid at a large pub chain, an administrative assistant at a property company and a marketing assistant.

I wondered whether the first and last experience would be irrelevant (seeing as I am applying to a law firm?). Could I give some examples of different times when I have demonstrated these attributes as an administrative assistant only? I think not, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you, as always!

it can be any of those examples. They only have to be relevant to the competency - they don’t require any relevancy to law at all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, thanks Jess :) last question - would it be okay to just use me experience as a general assistant and give several examples of times when I demonstrated them?

If that’s what you think is your best way of answering the question, then yes.

But I would question whether using various examples from the other things you have mentioned would actually show more variety of experience and therefore breadth. I think at the moment you are considering that they aren’t good enough examples just because they are things like bar work - which is often the wrong attitude to take.

Just use the best examples you have of the competency they are asking you to demonstrate.

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    If that’s what you think is your best way of answering the question, then yes.

But I would question whether using various examples from the other things you have mentioned would actually show more variety of experience and therefore breadth. I think at the moment you are considering that they aren’t good enough examples just because they are things like bar work - which is often the wrong attitude to take.

Just use the best examples you have of the competency they are asking you to demonstrate.

Noted! Variety is what I’ve gone for in all of my other questions, I was just unsure if I should come at this from a different angle. Thanks so much Jess :)

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    Hi Jessica, i was wondering if we can make a subject access request to see our WG/psychometric test results done at the application stage? If yes, do we ask graduate recruitment or need to find the data protection officer of the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, i was wondering if we can make a subject access request to see our WG/psychometric test results done at the application stage? If yes, do we ask graduate recruitment or need to find the data protection officer of the firm?

I wouldn’t go straight in with a SAR. Instead I would email grad Rec explaining you understand that under data regulation you can access this data the firm holds on you, and therefore can they provide it.

If they don’t respond within a reasonable timeframe (day two weeks) or they refuse to provide it, then put in a SAR request and I would copy in the Grad Rec team and the data point of contact. Be mindful a SAR request can take up to 90 days to be returned

• ℹ️
    Reactions: gg332dd

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    I wouldn’t go straight in with a SAR. Instead I would email grad Rec explaining you understand that under data regulation you can access this data the firm holds on you, and therefore can they provide it.

If they don’t respond within a reasonable timeframe (day two weeks) or they refuse to provide it, then put in a SAR request and I would copy in the Grad Rec team and the data point of contact. Be mindful a SAR request can take up to 90 days to be returned

Thank you Jessica, that does sound more reasonable.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.