Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

D

Deleted member 4851

Hi Jessica,
I hope I find you well.
I have two questions in regard to listing my qualifications in application form.
1) As I have studied abroad, I have a diploma which includes all subjects I have studied for the last 4 years at high school and their grades. I just noticed that I have the subject "English Language" listed twice - first time with mark and second time as "English Language (1st foreign language) - intensive course" ( with basically no second grade for it/ only a dash where it supposed to be grade).

My issue is that I sent a couple of apps for vac schemes and got open days but somehow I overlooked the second subject "English Language - intensive course" and therefore I did not include it. I am not sure should I start emailing firms. I don't even know what to say to them because the subject I missed has no grade and it is noted that it was just an intensive course.
I am also concerned that if I apply for a vac scheme with a firm I had an open day and I add the subject twice just like in my diploma they will notice and think I am a liar.

2) Now, once I entered panic mode, I also noticed that alongside the list of subjects I actually studies at high school, Music and Fine Arts are also listed. I have never studies those subject and they have no marks or course hours next to them. I did not list them in application firms, mainly because I have never studies them, but now looking them listed in my diploma I wonder whether in case of a vac scheme offer they will check my transcript and notice Music and Fine Arts and Wonder why I have not included them.

Sorry for the long message. My foreign qualifications are so confusing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) don’t worry about the intensive English course - it’s not worthwhile contacting them about this. They are unlikely to check the difference between applications and as you have said it is just a pass mark anyway. Just make sure you include it in future forms. No one is going to think you are a liar.

2) If there are no hours/no mark, then it is clear you never studied it, so again nothing to worry about

• 🤝
Reactions: 1 person

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen @Jessica Booker @Alice G
    Apologies as I was not able to find the right thread for this question but could you please let me know when the applications for the TCLA Premium Scholarship will open?
    Thanks in advance.

Hey - we have been a little delayed in this programme. Please do keep an eye on our newsletter/social media pages as we'll make an announcement there when we invite applications.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, I read somewhere that approximately 1 in 3 people get a VS after being invited to AC at Linklaters-- is this correct?

It’s not quite as simple as that. Typically firms would aim to do somewhere between 3-4 interviews per vacancy, but that number tends to drop the more stages there are ahead of the final stage (eg if you have psychometric testing and a video interview, then a final round, it’s probably much more likely to be around 2.5 to 1 for the final round).

But that does not mean that 1 in whatever ratio will get an offer. It just happens to work out that way because of a good recruitment process. Sometimes there are anomalies were you just get a weaker batch of candidates and your interviewing ratio increases accordingly, as you either decide to interview more candidates or make fewer offers. If the candidates weren’t good enough, you wouldn’t offer them just because you needed to fill the roles - you’d either not fill all the roles or reinterview until you found the right candidates.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    I hope I find you well.
    I was just in a process of explaining the grading system for my international qualifications. I know that ideally, I should offer the equivalence of my score to A-levels, however, there are no set standards for compersion. I thought of maybe explaining that each university has its own conversion system and to exemplify by saying: According to the University of XYZ's website, the equivalent of A*AA/AAA is at least 5.8/6 overall. While the typical offers for applicants of Christ's College taking the Diploma for Secondary Education require an overall score of 5.8" and then leave the links below (as a reference). Do you think it is a good idea?

feel free to PM me with exact details of your academics, and I’ll be able to advise better

NCLaw

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

It is my first cycle where I will be applying for vac schemes and I was wondering how different the answers should be from training contract application answers?

Should I still write them in a way where I mainly link my answers and examples to wanting a career in law at Reed Smith? Or should I write the answers more geared towards why I would be a good candidate for a vac scheme specifically?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

It is my first cycle where I will be applying for vac schemes and I was wondering how different the answers should be from training contract application answers?

Should I still write them in a way where I mainly link my answers and examples to wanting a career in law at Reed Smith? Or should I write the answers more geared towards why I would be a good candidate for a vac scheme specifically?

Thank you!

The only answer that would be slightly different in any question around why you are applying to the opportunity or the cover letter. Then you would talk more about what you’d hope to gain from the vacation scheme, even if it’s then to say you’d hope it lead to a TC, and then talk about the benefits of the TC. Every other type of question would be the same approach though

castrooo

Legendary Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Hi there,

On the first point, I suppose it’s usually good to be honest and if you don’t do anything in particular then I would think this would be ok to leave blank.

On your second point, can you input the IB when you type in your qualifications, I.e. is there a drop down option for this? I’d assume this is the case and I think the IB is self explanatory as it’s a very common qualification route in the UK. I believe you’re right in thinking this is reserved for overseas qualifications where HR would need more guidance.

As an international student & non-native English speaker (completed my entire education outside the UK but am working at a MC in London), would you discuss your proficiency in English in this section as well? Or is it unnecessary? @Alice G @Jessica Booker Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @Alice G,

Hope this finds you well.

Could you give me some advice and what approach you would take in answering the below commercial law question:

"What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chairperson of Ropes & Gray?"

Word count is 500

It is just another way of asking which three ways do you think we could improve our business.

Feel free to be as open minded as what those three things could be, keeping in mind what is happening now and what might happen in the future for law firms.

Given the word count, I think it as simple as

Idea 1:identity, explain why it’s a good idea, link to you if appropriate

Idea 2: identity, explain why it’s a good idea, link to you if appropriate

Idea 3: identity, explain why it’s a good idea, link to you if appropriate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As an international student & non-native English speaker (completed my entire education outside the UK but am working at a MC in London), would you discuss your proficiency in English in this section as well? Or is it unnecessary? @Alice G @Jessica Booker Thanks :)

yes - I would use it as an opportunity to make it clear what level your English language skills are at.

Reactions: castrooo

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I am applying to a firm that has a work experience section and an academics section, but then still asks to attach a CV. Do you have any advice regarding repetition?

The longer answer questions don't relate to extra-curricular, would it be a good idea for ECs to feature more heavily on the CV I submit, for instance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am applying to a firm that has a work experience section and an academics section, but then still asks to attach a CV. Do you have any advice regarding repetition?

The longer answer questions don't relate to extra-curricular, would it be a good idea for ECs to feature more heavily on the CV I submit, for instance.

Focus the CV on factual responsibilities and outcomes, focus the work experience section on your personal impact in the role and the skills you developed.

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I'm a second year Oxford law student, and my only exams are in 1st and 3rd year. In between, I only receive grades for collections (unofficial exams for modules set by college tutors). I have yet to receive my grades for the latest collection, but when should I be including these in my application? Should I always include them, only include them if they are beneficial, or not include them at all? If they should be included, should they be listed alongside my official 1st year results in the Modules section, or elsewhere in the application?
    Thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.